The PSP collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gunbladelad

Re: The PSP collecting thread

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:40 pm

I've just the past few days picked up a PSP 1000 with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and I've got Phantasy Star Portable, GTA:VCS and FF:CRisis Core ordered - as well as a 4Gb memory card.

Any suggestions for games - aside from the rather obvious retro game collections? I'd like to know what the maximum size memory card it can use as well.
Where logic won't work, I will

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Is there a definitive list of Platinum and Essentials Releases in terms of numbers

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:48 pm

gunbladelad wrote:I've just the past few days picked up a PSP 1000 with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and I've got Phantasy Star Portable, GTA:VCS and FF:CRisis Core ordered - as well as a 4Gb memory card.

Any suggestions for games - aside from the rather obvious retro game collections? I'd like to know what the maximum size memory card it can use as well.
I've got two of the older 32MB cards and an 8GB Sandisk card. Not all of the older games will recognise the 'bigger' 8GB and up cards though. I think LiamH mentioned that you can use Micro SD cards with Pro Duo adaptors when using custom firmware and there's no limit on size there. I use CFW to rip all of my UMD's to the PC then plonk the iso files on the memory cards to play everything from there for convenience.

As for games, my personal favourites are:

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Darkstalkers Chronicle
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny
Valkyria Chronicles II
Valkyria Chronicles III (need to play this with a translation patch as it's Jap only)
Outrun 2006
Persona 3 Portable
GTA VCS

I've also got (but not played):

Tactics Ogre
Persona 2
Parasite Eve 3 aka The Third Birthday
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Tactics
Jeanne D'Arc
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Cheers for that information about the memory cards - I'll look into some of the bigger ones, but I'll try to get myself a couple of the 4Gb ones for anything I come across that doesn't like the bigger cards.

I'll have a look into some of those games when I get a bit more disposable income.
Where logic won't work, I will

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:59 am

Any reason why my CFW PSP suddenly won't load Roms from the Snesx9 TYL emulator? Never had any problems before - now I get to the menu and pick a game but then freezes and resets the machine.

Also, my megadrive emulator - DGEN - won't let me soft reset. If I do it goes back to the PSP menu.

Strange times!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Is PSP now old enough to qualify as retro? Think I got mine in 2006??

Would love to read a few bits in the mag. Especially the more offbeat games I've probably not heard of.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:16 am

Hey all!

Back after years of absence. Hope the people I did talk to are still here!

Gotten back into PSP collecting after the Vita Collecting has gone a little slow.

I've played 7th Dragon 2020 via a Patch and currently have Summon Night 5 installed (pretty odd system of how you take turns).

I actually bought Twinbee Portable via ZenMarket and just waiting for the site to let me pay it!

Despite all that i really should get back into Trails in the Sky (First chapter) and probably Sweet Fuse again.

Does anyone have a nice little gem to recommend?
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:59 am
Any reason why my CFW PSP suddenly won't load Roms from the Snesx9 TYL emulator? Never had any problems before - now I get to the menu and pick a game but then freezes and resets the machine.

Also, my megadrive emulator - DGEN - won't let me soft reset. If I do it goes back to the PSP menu.

Strange times!
I have trouble with a Lynx Emulator and the Colecovision one works but won't recognise the roms I am shoving at it.
Its been fine for everything else but im not particularly au fait with all this tech gubbins!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 am

Me neither - i forget how things work. If I'm doing a CFW then for a week or so I'll research everything about it. But then time moves on and before you know it everything you learned has been forgotten!

My PSP is taking a bit of a rest since i got my Switch.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Picked up my spare PSP just while my main one was charging but now I cant play anything until i activate it. Which im fairly certain is impossible with no PSN support. Great.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:53 am

shiftytigger wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:18 pm
Picked up my spare PSP just while my main one was charging but now I cant play anything until i activate it. Which im fairly certain is impossible with no PSN support. Great.
Just hack it?

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 am

After playing on the Switch and Vita I never realised how dark the PSP screen is - and mine are modded so they have that extra light options. Vice City is noticeably dark! Or could it just be the tech aging??