The PSP collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: The PSP collecting thread

Post by snowkatt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:12 am

Megamixer wrote:
ArchaicKoala wrote: Just looking to pick up a PSP for a good price now but with there being so many different models i'm getting confused :lol:
Well they were released in this order

PSPGO!
E1000

The black sheeps are the PSPGO! (no UMD drive, download only) and the E1000 (final cost reduced model, mono sound without headphones, other features cut out).

The original 1000 series is more sturdily built but has a shonky d-pad for 2D fighters. These are the oldest models so are probably the most likely to be damaged/knackered in some way.

the 'slim' 2000 series models are often cited as the best due to a much better screen, more lightweight design etc.

The 3000 looks the same as the 2000 but has a few additions such as a built in mic and something to do with the wifi (which I never use). I have this model and really like it but the 2000's screen is apparently slightly better from what I have read.
the 3000's screen is much better actually
better s creens and fatser updates the 1000 and 2000 literally make me want to puke

the 3000 never did that to me
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:35 am

snowkatt wrote: the 3000's screen is much better actually
better s creens and fatser updates the 1000 and 2000 literally make me want to puke

Was just remembering something that was said on here a few weeks ago (I think).

More importantly, when did you get back here? :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Megamixer wrote:
snowkatt wrote: the 3000's screen is much better actually

Was just remembering something that was said on here a few weeks ago (I think).

More importantly, when did you get back here? :wink:

the 2000 and later also have more ram
64 against 32 mb

and ooh about a few hours ago

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:51 am

Thank you for the responses :D

I think i'll keep an eye out for a 3000 or an e1000 model...

I'm not fussed about the e1000 having less features as the missing features don't bother me in the slightest to be honest. One review i've read states that the screen on the E1000 is the best but then again everyone has a different definition on what is considered best.

I'll come back when I pick one up which at this rate of want will probably be this weekend :lol:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:33 am

ArchaicKoala wrote:Thank you for the responses :D

I think i'll keep an eye out for a 3000 or an e1000 model...

I'm not fussed about the e1000 having less features as the missing features don't bother me in the slightest to be honest. One review i've read states that the screen on the E1000 is the best but then again everyone has a different definition on what is considered best.

I'll come back when I pick one up which at this rate of want will probably be this weekend :lol:
the e1000 has the screen of the 3000
and its missing features are minimal

mono instead of stereo
and no wifi

the rest is absolutley cosmetic

you cant really go wrong with a e1000 or a 3000

you cna tell the 2000 and 3000 apart from eahc other at a glance by the ring on the back of the machine

the 2000's ring is wide while the 3000's ring is slim

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:52 pm

If you don't care about wifi/online capabilities being stripped out and a cheaper build quality then an e1000 is probably okay. Play with headphones of course and the mono speaker output issue is negated.

Personally I love my 3000 with it glossy 'piano black' finish. I've kept that bad boy in lovely condition since the day I bought it 8)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:39 pm

I really like the E1000, having a matte finish means no finger marks, it has a brilliant screen, excellent battery life, and a UMD cache feature, meaning loading times in games are significantly better, having mono sound just does not matter, it is little different to the stereo speaker versions while it is in the hands, and through headphones is identical. The entire back opening to put a disc in is a bit disconcerting though.
The best thing for me with it, is the improvement to the buttons, they are all raised much further and the d-pad is a joy, I have got much further in some games than the control of the other models would allow.

Although download only the PSP Go is such a beautiful little machine, in fact the whole series of machines are just brilliant.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:18 am

Had to go back some to find this.

Has anyone got/used the TV out cable? Just wondering if it's any good, and if I can use it on my modded 2000.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:01 pm

The image quality isnt brillaint from my experience. Looks worse with 2D games like SF Alpha 3 Max. Here's a pic of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

I'm sure I got a cable for about £3 so its worth having a play with but it's not as good as I'd hoped

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:06 pm

^ Yep, mainly use it on my 22" LG monitor as the component sockets on my TV are taken up. I've got 32GB of PS1 EBOOTs on my 2000 running CFW 6.60 and they look pretty good - unlike PSP games they actually fill the whole screen (as Black Ridge said that's actually the one major drawback).

UMDs are great too - the difference between them and DVDs on a telly (with the right settings) is negligible.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Ah ok. Thanks for the info and the pic. I'll have a look for a cable and if it's cheap then i'll give it a go!

I've been hammering my PSP recently. I think i might have to get a new one as i'm not sure how long this one will last!! I thought the Vita would get hacked and I could play my (pretty big) PSP collection on that, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. And I'm not buying all those games again!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Yep, mainly use it on my 22" LG monitor as the component sockets on my TV are taken up. I've got 32GB of PS1 EBOOTs on my 2000 running CFW 6.60 and they look pretty good - unlike PSP games they actually fill the whole screen (as Black Ridge said that's actually the one major drawback).

UMDs are great too - the difference between them and DVDs on a telly (with the right settings) is negligible.
I did wonder if other games went full screen as the dashboard does. I find that the image looks better on some TVs than others so it could be hit or miss.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:01 pm

I have a few copies of a PSP magazine that folded about a week after I bought my PSP. Anyone know if there was any other magazine besides that official one?
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:17 pm

There was 'Go Play' magazine, only ever saw a few issues of it though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:I have a few copies of a PSP magazine that folded about a week after I bought my PSP. Anyone know if there was any other magazine besides that official one?
I was searching Ebay for PSP mags a good while back and found they hardly ever appeared. When they did they were quite pricey too!