The PSP collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Havantgottaclue

Re: The PSP collecting thread

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:00 am

Jay wrote:Mind if I ask where you got P2 from? Only place I can find it in stock is play.com and they always send stuff out in jiffy bags, so it's bound to end up a wreck if I order it from there.
I got my copy from Shopto, and they send out in jiffy bags too. Thankfully it arrived unscathed, but I can see why you wouldn't want to take the chance. I checked Shopto and it looks as though they don't have any stock in at the moment, but you can "pre-order" it (as they put it).
Megamixer wrote:
Havantgottaclue wrote: I still haven't played with TiTS very much - I've had my hands full with P3P. :D
Well, I know what I'd rather have my hands full with :wink: :lol:

Besides, I'm plugging away at P3P myself too at the moment. I must have spent around 100 hours on the original PS2 game then another 130 completing the FES update when that came out so I must be nuts doing the same again with the handheld edition :lol: . Brilliant game though and Persona 3 FES was one of my favourite PS2 games so any excuse to play it again is welcome. Playing as the girl this time to at least get some differences in the dialogue/social links etc.
*gasp*, such smuttiness! Dreadful behaviour. :mrgreen:

It seems as though I'm about halfway through on both versions then. I'll keep going to the end on the PSP version and go back to P3: FES to complete "The Answer" as well.

I'm sure I've heard that P4 is to be converted to PSVita. That would make PSV an instabuy for me.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:05 am

Thanks. I didn't even realise P2 was out here yet. You wouldn't believe how many copies of P3 I sent back to various companies trying to get one in decent condition. I'm sure our postman sits on our parcels :(

There are a couple on eBay so I may contact some sellers to see what packaging they use. Or I can buy it direct from Ghostlight. For 40 quid :/

Baffles me when companies advertise special editions with fancy packaging then send them out in flimsy bags.

Flint

Post by Flint » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:53 am

I haven't been able to get into Persona 2 either (from shopto without any problems), I'm not too fussed with grinding for levels but it seems like I have to grind just to get Personas/cards which doesn't appeal to me.
That said I can't get into Xenoblade Chronicles either so I may just need a rest from RPGs after playing Persona 3 portable and Persona 4 back-to-back.

My biggest problem with P2 is that I can't get the damn box to shut properly due to the weird way it folds up so if you do get it make sure you note how it's meant to go.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Jay wrote: There are a couple on eBay so I may contact some sellers to see what packaging they use. Or I can buy it direct from Ghostlight. For 40 quid :/
Ghostlight were selling both P2 and Trails in the Sky LE's for £70 the pair in a special deal. I opted for that set and I'm sure they came packed in a box not a crappy jiffy bag.

I hate special editions getting damaged due to awful packaging. My LE of Blazblue Calamity Trigger on the PS3 for example was just stuffed in a jiffy bag from a Playtrade seller. A few ugly bumps on the corners didn't ruin it completely but it was still irritating. Anybody else who has the LE of that game should know how flimsy the cardboard box is too :evil:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:29 pm

last time I got a collectors edition at Game I had to stop the guy covering the cardboard with stickers - not ruining someone's game doesn't seem to be part of customer service

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:30 am

Great write up of PSP compilations which I just noticed on Twitter.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/psp ... on-library

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:18 pm

^ yer, I was reading that. Racketboy usually does nice stuff.

I've got most of the PAL comps - and a few of the Jap ones - might go for SNK 0 if I can find a copy. The Parodius one is fun

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Has anyone played Phantasy Star Portable 2? I played one of the DC games back in the day but didn't really get into it. However, I'm looking for something that should last a while - any thoughts?

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:32 am

Looking forward to importing this one.

LIMITED EDITION INCLUDES

1) Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom game
2) Collectible Art Book
3) Collectible Soundtrack CD
4) All packaged in a limited edition box.

Japan’s Edo Period was drawing to a close. The shogunate, who’d held power in the country for more than 200 years, found itself challenged by the imperial court, and by several domains who had chaffed under shogunal rule.

In this midst of this political unrest, an organization rose to prominence: The Shinsengumi. Originally formed to protect the street of Kyoto from masterless samurai, they came to represent the last, tragic bastion of the honor-bound samurai culture that had defined much of Japan’s history.

In Hakuoki, a young woman by the name of Chizuru comes to Kyoto in search of her missing father, and soon encounters danger and the Shinsengumi in quick succession. When it becomes clear the Shinsengumi are also searching for her father, Chizuru is put under their protection.

But odd things are afoot in Kyoto—possibly even supernatural things. Can Chizuru navigate this maze of mortal danger and political intrigue? Amidst so much mystery and death, can she find romance?
And not forgetting these two.

Image Image

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:31 am

Here's hoping that Rising Star or Ghostlight will bring these to Europe!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 am

hydr0x wrote:Here's hoping that Rising Star or Ghostlight will bring these to Europe!
I could have sworn that Grand Knight's History was confirmed as getting an EU release by Rising Star? Could just be too hopeful though :lol: . I'm a big fan of Vanilaware's games so I really want this one.

Perhaps Ghostlight might step in too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Morkin wrote:Great write up of PSP compilations which I just noticed on Twitter.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/psp ... on-library
I wouldn't say I'm a collector for it but the PSP has always been a travelling companion - for sheer quality of retro compilations. Really want the Parodius and Salamander collections now after reading that article. Also often wondered if the PSP could handle stuff like Power Drift from the DC Yu Suzuki collection and whether we could have had a Classics collection or Sega Ages with it on . Naturally of course we wont in the UK.

Also have to add that I got Lord of Arcana Slayer edition for £6 new and sealed - is it worth buying it to play?

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Yeah, the PSP has gotten plenty of shmup love, but it all seems so damn pricy! Deffo want to eventually grab the Salamander, Twinbee and Parodius compilations.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 am

There was a noticeable lack of PSP games when I went wandering around shops earlier, both 'new' and second-hand. HMV, Game, Grainger, CEX, all very sparse. Shame, i was in the mood for a couple. Buying games online just isn't the same.

Also, HMV are selling the GO for £79. I assumed it was new.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:56 pm

I was looking at some upcoming Japanese PSP games, here's what i could find in the 1st Q2012

------------------------------------
JP - 35 titles

JAN (10) ------------------------------------
12th - strategy - Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Masou Kishin I & II
19th - rpg - Heroes Fantasia
19th - adventure - Kannou Mukashi Banashi Portable
26th - novel/adv - Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Portable
26th - adventure - Bullet Butlers
26th - misc - Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 1 Portable
26th - misc - Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 2 Portable
x 26th - strategy - Mobile Suit Gundam: Mokuba no Kiseki
26th - adventure - Phase-D: Aohana no Shou
26th - adventure - Renai Banchou 2: Midnight Lesson!!!

FEB (17) ------------------------------------
2nd - adventure - Gift: Prism
2nd - adventure - PhotoKano
9th - rpg - Eien no Aseria: Kono Daichi no Hate de
9th - rpg - Genso Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki
9th - action - Tsugi no Giseisha o Oshirase Shimasu: Houkaisuru Sekai ni Shinigami to
9th - adventure - Vitamin X: Detective B6
16th - adventure - Amatsumi Sora ni! Kumo no Hatate ni
x 16th - beu - Sengoku Musou 3Z Special
23rd - adventure - 12-Ji no Kane to Cinderella: Halloween Wedding
x 23rd - action - Hakuouki: Bakumatsu Musou Roku
23rd - rpg - Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 5: Kazahanaki
23rd - misc - Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! Takken Shiken Portable
23rd - adventure - Moujuutsukai to Oujisama: Snow Bride Portable
23rd - rpg - Nendoroid Generation
23rd - action - Ore wa Shoujo Mangaka
23rd - adventure - Phase-D: Shirokage no Shou
x 23rd - action - Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave

MAR (6) ------------------------------------
x 1st - beu - Great Battle FullBlast
8th - adventure - Littlewitch Parfait: Kuroneko Mahouten Monogatari
15th - action - Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable
x 22nd - action - Kurohyou 2: Ryu ga Gotoku Ashura Hen
22nd - action - Uta no * Prince-Sama: Debut
29th - adventure - Te to Te Try On! Tropical

APR (2) ------------------------------------
26th - adventure - Ao no Exorcist: Toki no Labyrinth
30th - beu - Fate/Extra CCC

I put an 'x' next to the titles Im interested in, though of course 99% of the others are adventures/rpgs all in Japanese so its a bit hard.

Here's the US and EU titles lists...

------------------------------------
US - 6 titles
Early 2012 - Grand Knights History
14th feb - Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
6th Mar - Major League Baseball 2K12
12th June - Gungnir
TBC Q2 - Final Fantasy Type-0

EU - 1 title
Early 2012 - Grand Knights History
Last edited by AmigaJay on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.