The PSP collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: The PSP collecting thread

Post by nakamura » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Birth by Sleep is excellent and it looks amazing.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Birth by sleep is a better alternative to the console versions though the DS versions arent the worst ive ever played either.

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:58 am

What are your thoughts on Gods Eater Burst? I did try it and to be honest it's quite interesting, the camera though is controlled by the D-Pad and can aim with it too. Probably tge game is better on Vita because of the mapping.
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:45 am

englebert3rd wrote:
Joey wrote:Good start today, these 4 for a total of £10.50.
Nice ones, only Powerstone is in my collection. I'm trying to find Monster Hunter, but bought it at Play.com and Amazon and received the essential versions. Where have you bought those games?
Powerstone £4 CEX
Twisted Metal £2.50 CEX
Monster hunter & K.Hearts both £2 from cash converters.

It's also really hard to find good condition 2000 model PSP's now. I got one local off gumtree for now but will keep looking for a nice, scratch free, boxed one.

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Joey wrote:
englebert3rd wrote:
Joey wrote:Good start today, these 4 for a total of £10.50.
It's also really hard to find good condition 2000 model PSP's now. I got one local off gumtree for now but will keep looking for a nice, scratch free, boxed one.

I never tried to find one, as I've got one already even though it's cracked at the edges of the faceplate, the screen itself is fine. I've CFW'd it as I'm using the 3000 for my UMDs. Might have to get the camera for it. Also I've heard that EA Replay is getting pricey, is that true?
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 pm

can anyone tell me if psp games are region free please ?
i did a search but as you would expect the phrase "region-free" crops up a lot.the reason is i picked up tom clancy's graw 2 today but didn't realise it's the US version until i got it home,i don't want to take it back because i bought it from a charity shop and it would just seem wrong.

if it's a case of some are some aren't then is there a reliable list anywhere ?
i don't have a cfw but could this bypass a region lock if needed ?
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:18 pm

Games are region-free, yes. UMD films are not.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:40 pm

^ thanks,that's cheered me up.my first import game :D
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Gunotak

Post by Gunotak » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:34 am

Hitman_HalStep wrote:^ thanks,that's cheered me up.my first import game :D
What games will you import ?

chewy

Post by chewy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 am

I have GTA Vice City Stories, GTA Chinatown Wars, Crazy Taxi, Bad Santa UMD movie and RV UMD movie knocking about if anyone wants to make me an offer?

:)

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:47 am

Does anyone know what the last UMD release was ?

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Gunotak wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:^ thanks,that's cheered me up.my first import game :D
What games will you import ?
i wasn't planning to get any,it's just this one turned up in a charity shop without me realising it was an import.it must have been bought by someone on holiday because the US electronic boutique receipt is still in the box.if others turn up i know i can buy it with confidence i can play it.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I don't know if it is the same in the UK, but the PAL PSP games here, on the spine they have different colors (unlike ps2 which was always white/black) but the text is always the same style. But i have about 10-15 games from the U.S. just common games that were still released here, but for whatever reason i have picked them up 2nd hand out and about. The U.S versions, on there spine, they have the full game logo on the spines, so it is easy to spot which ones are NTSC or PAL in my collection. I didn't notice it for years until i looked and noticed that every PSP game that had the full logo on the spine and not just the same boring font, did in fact have a U.S ESRB logo in it , so they were all NTSC.

Just something interesting about the regions. In fact before i even knew that the PSP was region free I had unknowingly bought a few preowned ntsc games.

I know that the NTSC PS2 Spines were the same too.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 am

^^^ Yeah, that sort of Playstation case design didn't change until the PS3 era though there are a few exceptions. Blazing Souls Accelate on the PSP has the proper logo on the spine of the EU/PAL release for example and I'm sure there are others across the PS2/PSP range.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:53 pm

yeah my girlfriend has a copy of Super Bust A Move on the PS2 which has an orange spine, which sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm sure there are a few like that out there.