The PSP collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Morkin

Re: The PSP collecting thread

Post by Morkin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:50 am

Saw this on Siliconera yesterday. Wonder if they'll get physical releases?
Natsume has at least two PSP games in the pipeline. In addition to Carnage Heart EXA, Natsume also picked up Mystic Chronicles from Kemco. Mystic Chronicles is a throwback to Super Nintendo RPGs with pixilated heroes and turn based battles. In this game you play as Lux, a boy adopted by a small village. Lux joins the Guardians Guild to protect his home, but Lux’s plans and destiny changes when he meets a young girl.

Each character in Mystic Chronicles has a changeable Guardian Beast as an ally. In battle, you select attacks for Lux and other characters while Guardian Beasts act on their own. Players can set the Guardian Beasts’ AI to be offensive, defensive or as a healer.

You may have seen Mystic Chronicles on Siliconera earlier. This PSP game is a port of an iOS RPG called Fantasy Chronicles. Natsume gave it a new localization since the main characters name is "Light" in the English release currently on iOS. Mystic Chronicles will be available for PSP this summer.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Just bought Blazblue Calamity Trigger - is it any good though. Never played one before.
Yeah i like it, anyway.

First time with my PSP in a few months - just loading up the memory card. Looking forward to getting back into 3rd birthday/FF dissidia/nhl07/syphon filter/burnout/ridge racer amongst others.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Just bought Blazblue Calamity Trigger - is it any good though. Never played one before.
Yeah i like it, anyway.

First time with my PSP in a few months - just loading up the memory card. Looking forward to getting back into 3rd birthday/FF dissidia/nhl07/syphon filter/burnout/ridge racer amongst others.
Syphon Filter - Dark Mirror is one of my favourite games of all time - so easy to pick up , controls may seem odd at first but once mastered its ace. Would always recommend to anyone thinking of a PSP. I normally dont like these types of games but this one really grabbed me. Originally got it for £1 as a disc only from a CEX clearance shop in Coventry (along with most of their loose GBA/GB games and a load more PSP discs at the same price which 5 years ago was a really good price) and it was the best £1 i ever spent , though I did sell a few of the GBA games and made all my money back.

Also really enjoyed Burnout Dominator , even though the controls are a bit annoying for boosting , seems badly laid out. Another one I take most places with me when I travel.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:35 am

Yeah the Syphon Filter games really nailed the button set up I agree. Shame other games (MGS, 3rd Birthday) didn't follow suit.

It's Burnout Legends I've got, really like it - can't say I've noticed the bad button layout? Maybe it's different.

Really enjoying Vice City at the minute - can't say I'm following the missions anymore, just driving round and laying waste to everyone and everything.

I had a dream I was playing ice hockey last night, so I'll have to give that a whirl this week. Possibly my favourite genre of all time!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:35 pm

greenberet79 wrote:It's Burnout Legends I've got, really like it - can't say I've noticed the bad button layout? Maybe it's different.
Dominator was also on PS2 so perhaps that's why the controls don't translate well to PSP. The PS2 version uses all four shoulder buttons whereas the PSP only has two so that's probably where the button mapping fails. Legends was only on the PSP and DS so it was probably more suited to handhelds in terms of controls.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 pm

The button placement for boost, brake and acceleration seem just a bit odd. You get used to it, it just seems odd at first especially when trying to drift boost on some of the levels.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 pm

shiftytigger wrote:The button placement for boost, brake and acceleration seem just a bit odd. You get used to it, it just seems odd at first especially when trying to drift boost on some of the levels.
What are the controls out of interest?

On PS2 it's:

X = Acceleration
Square = Brake
R1 = Boost/Impact time
R2 = Crashbreaker
L1 = Look behind
L2 = Change music track

I'm guessing all those R/L fuctions have been spread across the face buttons or something?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 am

When I started this thread I was heavily into collecting for this system and at the peak I had around 200 boxed games. Then a few years ago I sold it all in a moment of madness and regretted it since.

Yesterday I bought another 2003 model and have decided to do it all again. I'm not sure how well it will go as the first time I was getting some crazy deals from a Gamestation where they were selling good PSP games for 99p+ and I hoovered the shelves for months.

As per usual eBay sellers are asking silly money for crappy games but I've managed to get a few good ones to start off with.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 am

Well good luck to you! I had about 80 games (at a guess) but did sell a lot after putting them onto memory cards. It's my most used console since the early 90s, although that's mainly due to its size and ease of use. It's a brilliant system, probably underrated. (Though to be fair the potential of the thing was only really unlocked when I got rid of the official firmware - loading from memory stick and emulation really transformed it from good to great).

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:15 pm

shiftytigger wrote:The button placement for boost, brake and acceleration seem just a bit odd. You get used to it, it just seems odd at first especially when trying to drift boost on some of the levels.
last time I played a racer on PSP I was in 'tablet mode' and started tilting the poor PSP for the first few corners before engaging my brain.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Joey wrote:When I started this thread I was heavily into collecting for this system and at the peak I had around 200 boxed games. Then a few years ago I sold it all in a moment of madness and regretted it since.

Yesterday I bought another 2003 model and have decided to do it all again. I'm not sure how well it will go as the first time I was getting some crazy deals from a Gamestation where they were selling good PSP games for 99p+ and I hoovered the shelves for months.

As per usual eBay sellers are asking silly money for crappy games but I've managed to get a few good ones to start off with.
What made you sell them?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 am

^^ Finding out I was going to be a dad.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Good start today, these 4 for a total of £10.50.

englebert3rd

Post by englebert3rd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Joey wrote:Good start today, these 4 for a total of £10.50.
Nice ones, only Powerstone is in my collection. I'm trying to find Monster Hunter, but bought it at Play.com and Amazon and received the essential versions. Where have you bought those games?
Own: Master System, Mega Drive+II, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, N64, GBC, GBA+SP+Micro, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PSP Phat+Slim+3000, NDS Lite, NDSi XL, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita.
3DS Friend Code: 1220-6699-2838 - Playing AC: New Leaf and RE: Rev

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Never played Birth by Sleep. Wasnt a fan of 358/2 Days (or whatever its called). Just wished they'd make another decent console installment. Always wanted to play Monster Hunter more but never had people to play with so gave up. Bloody hard game. A good haul though for the price you paid