The PSP collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: The PSP collecting thread

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Looki at the above list I'd be tempted with sengoku musou 3, I've played warriors orochi on the psp and bar the draw distance it was a very good port of the console version (plus I love musou games!).

Ryu ga gotoku with be mine at launch, I'll import it as always, the first psp version was fantastic and he fighting system was a nice advancement compared to the console versions plus the story and setting in the new game looks rad. As with the last game though it's got Zero chance of an English translation :(

Speaking of which, I've begun playing the Japan only disaster report 3 for the psp and it's great. The games controls and graphics seem better than the ps2 iterations, the load times however are really long and frequent. I still prefer the second game though, the flood was a cooler disaster compared to the earthquakes featured so far in this version.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:38 am

Bought a few long-standing wants the last 24 hours - Crash Tag Racing, Tomb Raider Legend, God of War Chains of Olympus, and Burnout Legends. None more than a fiver on....ebay (booo).

Think that takes me up to about 40 PSP games, and still got quite a few to get that I'd like.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 am

Anyone know of any online guides to upgrade my CFW? I'm still on 5.50 GenD, been meaning to update to 6.60ME for ages. I'm on a few PSP forums but I get a bit lost in them all!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 am

Woohoo, was able to pick up the Gradius Collection today for 3€ at GameStop. Also got R-Type Tactics for a fiver. Less than 50 PSP games remaining on my wishlist now :)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 am

I started playing MGS Portable Ops yesterday - jeez the control system was ruddy awful! Moving Snake with just the thumbstick was really loose and very imprecise. The Syphon Filter games really nailed the best control scheme on the PSP IMO, even with the handicap of the one stick.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:05 am

:D
Hi Everyone. I seem to remember that in the dim and distant past otherwise known as 2011 we promised a PSP announcement Smile.

While it’s taken a little longer then we planned I’m delighted to announce that Ghostlight will be bringing Imagepooch and TYPE-MOON’s fantastic RPG Fate/EXTRA to the PAL region on PSP later this year. Fate/Extra takes place in a parallel universe to that of the hugely popular Japanese visual novelFate/Stay Night.

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/ghos ... fate-extra

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 am

Finally updated my CFW to 6.60 PRO-B10. Glad I'll now be able to start buying games that were made after 2009!

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:32 am

I love my PSP to bits even though it sounds like like a hissing cat when reading a UMD :lol:. Such an underrated selection of games, I've acquired quite a few over the past year or so. Hopefully FF Type-0 gets a western release! Need a new memory card badly.

Currently own:

Castlevania X
YS 1&2 Chronicles
YS 7
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection
Tactics Ogre
Power Stone Collection
Salamander Collection
Gradius Collection
Ultimate GnG
Outrun 2006

And this beauty came in the post yesterday :D

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Got Lord of Arcana: Slayer Edition (£6) & Everybodys Golf (£3) Great condition from CEX. I swear that place is dumpsite for all my crap now. Im even picking stuff up cheap from GAME & Blockbusters (eg 99p PS2 titles) and trading them in to get more there!

Much like the PS2, loads of PSP games are cheap everywhere now. Still a few titles out there i want like:

Darkstalkers Chronicle The Chaos Tower
Persona 2 & 3
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Phantasy Star Portable 2

Fave games on this beast:

Manhunt 2
Jeanne D'arc
Phantasy Star Portable

Cant help but feel developers never gave this a chance (or the consumers didnt). The PSP is/was massive in Japan, but was always in the shadow of the DS here. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of Gems on the console but I think that more could have been done with it. Nice that Square Enix has pretty much seen it through from start to end!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:27 am

Yeah I agree - I love the machine, but I do think that there are quite a few games that could have been great, but just never quite reach their potential, mainly due to developers not spending enough time working the system out.

I'm obsessed with buying PSP games at the minute.

I also quite like the shape of the PSP game boxes!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:29 am

Black Ridge wrote: Cant help but feel developers never gave this a chance (or the consumers didnt). The PSP is/was massive in Japan, but was always in the shadow of the DS here. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of Gems on the console but I think that more could have been done with it. Nice that Square Enix has pretty much seen it through from start to end!
I agree. The obvious mass-market appeal was always there thanks to the likes of FIFA, NFS etc. but the PSP really comes into its own if you love your Japanese stuff and can import because there are stacks of compilations, shooters, retro games, ports etc. that make it essential to own. Loads of RPG's too and a very welcome glut of EU limited editions so close the console's death.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:52 am

greenberet79 wrote:I started playing MGS Portable Ops yesterday - jeez the control system was ruddy awful! Moving Snake with just the thumbstick was really loose and very imprecise. The Syphon Filter games really nailed the best control scheme on the PSP IMO, even with the handicap of the one stick.
Controls, whilst i agree, i did adjust to over time, it was the dragging knocked out soliders miles to the truck, that initally put myself off for playing long periods.

Thankfully an issue rectified with Peace Walker, just clip a ballon to them and up they go.

As for other points raised earlier in thread:Publisher support was good at the start, but then the whole CFW/Piracy issue kicked off and off they went.In an interview with Gamasutra, Sony Computer Entertainment America senior vice president of publisher relations Rob Dyer blamed piracy and a lack of American publisher support for the PSP's low sales in North America. "That's been the biggest problem, no question about it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:48 pm

One question

Has anyone ever seen a copy of Cladun or Cladun X2?
Ebay comes up with nothing googles shopping thins also is nothing

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:54 pm

thevulture wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:I started playing MGS Portable Ops yesterday - jeez the control system was ruddy awful! Moving Snake with just the thumbstick was really loose and very imprecise. The Syphon Filter games really nailed the best control scheme on the PSP IMO, even with the handicap of the one stick.
Controls, whilst i agree, i did adjust to over time, it was the dragging knocked out soliders miles to the truck, that initally put myself off for playing long periods.
You might already know this, but there is an 'easier' option of dragging them to a nearby crate and calling a certain frequency on the codec to capture them. Peace Walker's method is indeed much preferred though!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 pm

DPrinny wrote:One question

Has anyone ever seen a copy of Cladun or Cladun X2?
Ebay comes up with nothing googles shopping thins also is nothing
PSN release only I think.