The PSP collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Joey

The PSP collecting thread

Post by Joey » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 pm

I know there are a couple of guys on the forum who collect for this console so if they, and anyone else, want to indulge me in talk of PSP gather round and please do so.

I bought an original PSP on release but then sold it for a DS, then went back to the PSP and have never looked back since.

Ive been slowly collecting for about a year now and although theres no real order or structure to how im collecting im only buying games that i will actually play. I have about 55 games and a couple of UMD films.

The last game i bought was Persona 3 Portable and got stung big time with customs charges. Its worth the 40quid i ended up paying though :lol:

Does anyone have any nice imports or rareish games?

thevulture

Re: The PSP collecting thread

Post by thevulture » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Been collecting both UMD films and games on/off past few months. Snapped up the Silent Hill exp. and MGS Digital novel early on, got a few Imports, but just really collecting games i want to play on it at the moment.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:41 pm

I've been picking up the odd PSP game here and there for my collection and at last count I have just over 40 different PSP games (not counting the regional Megaman stuff).

Its a great little handheld, the D Pad is the only thing that annoys me slightly on it for fighting games as it doesn't register the diaginols properly and makes games like SFA3 a little less smooth than they should be. I have a first run launch PSP though and I've heard that later revisions improved the D Pad somewhat.

As for import stuff, I guess my favourite would be the Japanese only revision of Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (Kai). All the fun of the original but now with the difficulty rebalanced to make the game fairer along with you no longer needing to get the Gold Rings to complete the game. It makes the game much better in my opinion.

The other import game I'm really looking forward to getting is the Yakuza PSP game that is out in Japan next week that I've got preordered. Its managed to replicate the PS2 games pretty much perfectly while improving on the combat.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm collecting PSP games myself - not everything is brilliant, but I get 3 times as much use out of the PSP than I do with anything else, including the 360 recently.

When I first got the PSP, I didn't get on with it at all. I found it clunky, most of the games were not to my liking (there were some great ones but nothing I couldn't enjoy on other consoles) and it just wasn't the handheld I wanted. Traded it in and didn't really miss it. Last year they had the silver Slim and lite at work for a silly price, so I took a chance, and this time it started to make sense. To top it off, recently bought an old style PSP off a mate for emulating, so have also now got into that side of things; but it's still the content made for PSP that is my major reason for liking the machine.

Also, a lot of the more recent releases have been more interesting, for me at least, than some of the 'big' console versions they are based on. 2010 World cup, F1 2009, Littlebigplanet, Mod Nation Racers, WWE 2010. I'm only at about 65 games at the moment, I traded some in to make room for others, but there's an endless supply of games that I'm after. The retro comps are also, imo, absolutely brilliant.

It's also the console that has made me appreciate game genres and franchises that I've either not bothered with or not appreciated before. Castlevania (Dracula X Chronicles), Kingdom Hearts (Birth by Sleep), Ridge Racer, Power Stone.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Space_turnip wrote: The retro comps are also, imo, absolutely brilliant.
Yea i have quite a few of them, i'd never heard of Capcom Puzzle World untill recently so looking for that one now.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:12 pm

Joey wrote:
Space_turnip wrote: The retro comps are also, imo, absolutely brilliant.
Yea i have quite a few of them, i'd never heard of Capcom Puzzle World untill recently so looking for that one now.
Aye, tis on my list too. It's only that and EA Replay on my list of retro ones i'm after at the moment (despite knowing that EA Replay isn't all that good)

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:07 pm

If I didn't support my PS3, Wii, the odd 360, DS and Saturn consoles, I might have money left to buy all my fave PSP games :(

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:07 pm

PSP is my favourite current gen 'console'

Great retro collections, plus a steady stream of decent new releases - looking forward to Valkria Chronicles 2.

I also find it a cheap habit - can get most games new for a tenner or so if you shop around alone. Just a shame importing is such a pain.

If anyone knows of any hidden gems on the PSP - be great to post them hear

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Have not brought any new PSP games in a while, been playing through what I have got first! Breath of fire 3 is currently on :D

evolution4life

Post by evolution4life » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:03 am

I do like my PSP alot although I go through fits and starts, never seem to play it regularly for longer than a few weeks. I got mine (PSP go) earlier this year when the 10 free games started which was a great deal as I got mine for £175 including a £25 PSN card. Ive made the most of being able to play the PS1 games I purchased on psn store for my ps3 at the time which I since sold, some good old MGS, Crash Bandicoot, Destruction Derby, FFVII, Syphon Filter. The only actual PSP games Ive purchased so far are the Capcom and Mega Drive collections from the PS store. I cant really see myself splashing out on too many more games though, Im thinking more of putting some money aside to get a 3DS at launch as I adored my DS previously and the lineup of games for the 3DS already is looking superb and Im very intrigued by the 3D effect without glasses.

Roo

Post by Roo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:19 am

I'm liking my PSP. It's disappointing to see places like HMV are cutting back on PSP stock, GAME are giving you bugger all on trade-ins and other places like Currys are only stocking dusty copies of Champ Manager 2006 for about £20. :x

I think I've been able to build up a pretty good collection of games for relatively little cost (and in a short time too- I've only had my PSP for two months). I've managed to get a few bargains - LocoRoco 2 for £1.97, Gran Turismo for £4.99 and Resistance for 97p come to mind - but unfortunately there's very little else I'm after. Still, a PSP Slim and a collection of 20-odd games for considerably under £200 isn't to be sniffed at.

My favourite games are Ridge Racer 2, OutRun 2006, LocoRoco, Tekken Dark Ressurection and Virtua Tennis 3.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:37 am

I've had my PSP since launch day, but I go through phases of trading in most of the games I own for it, so I've only recently built up a real collection for it.

I don't have any rareties, sadly. About the most expensiv items I have are a Special Edition of Dissidia and an import copy of Warhammer: Battle for Atluma.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:43 am

I want a psp but for the money they go for (£50 for an unboxed phat) makes them not worth an investment.
Maybe when it dies in the next year or 2 I'll buy one and try and get everything for as little as possible.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Boyught one for silent hill but I barely use it so I think its going on ebay, dracula x and loco roco were pretty good though.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:43 pm

I've had quite a lot of fun with Magic Sudoku & IQ Mania which has something like 4000 odd levels taken from the Kurushi games. I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention these games, although they're import only which probably explains why. :?