GBA Collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: GBA Collecting

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:47 pm

WTF? Never knew there was a GBA version of Sega Rally :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rlx9xtOuc
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:30 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:These pirate carts... They still work, right? And if they do, is there a problem? At least they still look nicer than a CD-R with marker pens all over it...
Not GBA, but I had a pirated copy of Spiderman vs the Xmen on SNES back in the day that crashed every time you ducked :mrgreen:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 am

Megamixer wrote:WTF? Never knew there was a GBA version of Sega Rally :shock:

I think I remember playing that once. I can't recall me liking it that much either, something just felt... off about it. V Rally for the GBA was the rally game that I enjoyed the most.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:38 am

Well, my brand-new JAP copy of Tekken Advance arrived this morning so I gave it a go. It works quite well I suppose but iyt's obviously very cut-down. I'm still impressed at how much they crammed in from Tekken 3 though and I had to smile when Law's T3 music came on in it's entirity and actually sounded like the original BGM :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:04 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Megamixer wrote:WTF? Never knew there was a GBA version of Sega Rally :shock:

I think I remember playing that once. I can't recall me liking it that much either, something just felt... off about it. V Rally for the GBA was the rally game that I enjoyed the most.
That's because V-Rally is a technical marvel. I still can't believe they pulled off these graphics on the GBA. Finally purchased a copy recently, definitely a must have GBA game.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 am

Just bought a new PAL copy of Steel Empire, quite an uncommon cart - was for a quite reasonable price of £15. The seller had another copy for the same price listed

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:50 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:These pirate carts... They still work, right? And if they do, is there a problem? At least they still look nicer than a CD-R with marker pens all over it...
Seriously, avoid them. I bought loads of them off ebay (thinking they were originals). The save games never last very long as they don't use proper battery back-up, making most titles useless.

Fortunately a lot of GBA games can be bought for peanuts, so I'm not finding it too difficult to replace them all.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:46 am

batman877 wrote:
Seriously, avoid them. I bought loads of them off ebay (thinking they were originals). The save games never last very long as they don't use proper battery back-up, making most titles useless.
Yeah try to avoid them ,don't buy them anyway, don't encourage the pirates.

I just picked up Zelda: Oracle of Ages, (not technically GBA but I'll be playing it on my SP), does ayone know if I need to hunt down Oracle of Seasons aswell to get the best out of it?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

rodarkone

Post by rodarkone » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:58 am

You definitely must get both - the 2 games interact via password system.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:14 am

rodarkone wrote:You definitely must get both - the 2 games interact via password system.
I see, thanks. Is it best to hold off playing it untill I get Seasons?

rodarkone

Post by rodarkone » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:36 am

I think (for a full experience) it's best to play them in tandem (as the developer intended) - but you can start ages until you get seasons (you will miss some secrets) - but after you will get seasons restart the game (with game boy colors linked) and continue the adventure :D

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:56 am

rodarkone wrote:I think (for a full experience) it's best to play them in tandem (as the developer intended) - but you can start ages until you get seasons (you will miss some secrets) - but after you will get seasons restart the game (with game boy colors linked) and continue the adventure :D
Thanks again,

I guess I'll have to see if it works linking GBAs instead to swop items, but from what I gather the passwords are what I mostly need to get the full ending.

rodarkone

Post by rodarkone » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 am

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:18 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Just bought a new PAL copy of Steel Empire, quite an uncommon cart - was for a quite reasonable price of £15. The seller had another copy for the same price listed
Oh wow, I totally forgot there was a GBA version of this. Been playing it a lot of MD recently and it's a class game. 8)

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:23 am

rodarkone wrote:You can read it here

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_ ... es_Secrets
Thanks for that, had no clue about the GBA shop either.