GBA Collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Flint

Re: GBA Collecting

Post by Flint » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:00 am

The piracy can be ridiculous, there's even pirate carts of WarioWare: Twisted without the gyro sensor.

Another method of spotting a pirate cart that I don't think has been mentioned is to check that there are numbers imprinted on the label.

Anyway it's a great console, especially the gameboy micro, here's a picture of my cib games plus Link's Awakening to make up the numbers.

There's still a few new games on playasia but they're mostly text heavy titles.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:33 am

To be fair, while Piracy is rampant it's incredibly easy to work out what's fake and what isn't. Since I've been buying all my boed games I haven't had a single one.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 pm

nokgod wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
nokgod wrote: Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Did that get an EU release do you know?
Yup, can verify that for you mate. :)

ImageImage
Must be really rare then because I've done a few ebay searches in the past and always came back with zilch :(
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:To be fair, while Piracy is rampant it's incredibly easy to work out what's fake and what isn't. Since I've been buying all my boed games I haven't had a single one.
This is true. There are so many tell-tale signs that you can usually tell what to avoid on ebay by just looking at the packaging.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Here's one that's PAL....jeez, the price though! :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shining-Force-Res ... 3caff49695
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:26 pm

nokgod wrote:Here's one that's PAL....jeez, the price though! :shock:

THIS is why GBA collecting can be such a challenge :( / Bet you got yours from a charity shop or carboot didn't you Nokgod :) :lol:

Noticed some more great games while trawling youtube. First was an FPS called Ice Nine and then there was a trilogy of side-scrolling shooters that started with CT Special Forces. Anybody played these games?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:54 pm

There's a US version of Shining Force on Amazon in you're interested & it's sealed. It's £150 though...

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Megamixer wrote:
nokgod wrote:Here's one that's PAL....jeez, the price though! :shock:

THIS is why GBA collecting can be such a challenge :( / Bet you got yours from a charity shop or carboot didn't you Nokgod :) :lol:
Strangely, no. I did get that from ebay, but it was many moons ago, i think it was about a tenner iirc...... :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

SuperFamiKing

Post by SuperFamiKing » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 pm

I've got a couple of Japanese GBA game doublers (GT racing Advanced? and a Seiken Dentsetsu one)

Don't know if there are any import collectors on here that they might be of use to???

They are boxed and complete, in fact they were part of unsold indie games shop import stock (along with a load of Jap ps2, GCN and xbox stuff i kept for myself) I got hold of when it shut down.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:37 pm

These pirate carts... They still work, right? And if they do, is there a problem? At least they still look nicer than a CD-R with marker pens all over it...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:56 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:These pirate carts... They still work, right? And if they do, is there a problem? At least they still look nicer than a CD-R with marker pens all over it...
Yeah, they still work.....although if they require the use of battery back up to save the game, then it's very likely that the battery the pirates use will die quickly. The first Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow I got from Ebay was a pirate, it lost all my save data 2 and a half months later and now won't save at all, everything's lost as soon as the GBA is switched off. Not worth the risk at all IMO. As somebody else mentioned, it's a big problem with a lot of the pirate Pokemon carts being sold on Ebay as well.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:14 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:These pirate carts... They still work, right? And if they do, is there a problem? At least they still look nicer than a CD-R with marker pens all over it...
Yeah, they still work.....although if they require the use of battery back up to save the game, then it's very likely that the battery the pirates use will die quickly. The first Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow I got from Ebay was a pirate, it lost all my save data 2 and a half months later and now won't save at all, everything's lost as soon as the GBA is switched off. Not worth the risk at all IMO. As somebody else mentioned, it's a big problem with a lot of the pirate Pokemon carts being sold on Ebay as well.
I have a pirated GBA Space Channel 5 and the save games are still working fine 5 years on.. I can't get off the first level mind my friend unlocked everything..

I also find with the pirate carts they tend to have only 4 pages on instructions
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Megamixer wrote:...and then there was a trilogy of side-scrolling shooters that started with CT Special Forces. Anybody played these games?
Someone on another forum was kind enough to send me a CIB original of the the first CT game for absolutely nothing, not long back. It's a pretty good, solid game but nothing remarkable, it feels like an European-programmed Amiga clone of Metal Slug, pretty slick and with decent graphics but completely uninspired and lacking pizazz. Not played the last two games (they may have more oomph to them) but the first is a perfectly serviceable Euro-style platform shooter. :wink:

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:51 am

I haven't got a huge gba collection , although i think its a super little machine

picked up Sword of mana yesterday (boxed with book) for £2 at a car boot though.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Started playing Lady Sia last night and what an underrated game this is. The opening cut-scenes and gameplay animation is just beautiful. Like a controllable cartoon I guess you'd say. Gameplay is spot-on too and it's so impressive given that this was an early GBA game.

I urge anybody with an interest in 2D platformers/adventure games to look this up on Youtube or just buy it. Mine was less than a tenner CIB on ebay.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:56 pm

A problem for collectors I believe. But I'd be happy with it so long as it worked. :mrgreen: