The last great, succesful 16-bit game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Neilos626

Re: The last great, succesful 16-bit game?

Post by Neilos626 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:32 am

nakamura wrote:
C=Style wrote:Stunt Race FX is a supremely playable game, I urge anyone who thinks it's pants to persevere with it as it's tough to get into but once you do it has some really satisfying gameplay that really has no right to be on a 16-bit console.
I agree. Ok it has a low frame rate but the design of the whole thing is fantastic. So many different tracks, 4 totally different cars and a truck. Great music and sound allover. The 16bit racer with the most replay value along with F-Zero.

Virtua Racer was also decent on the MD i thought.

If you played either of these now both have aged poorly. In fact I would go so far as to say they are almost unplayable these days.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:47 am

Neilos626 wrote: If you played either of these now both have aged poorly. In fact I would go so far as to say they are almost unplayable these days.
I play it fairly regularly it's not aged. Think about it, how can it age? It is the same game it was back in 1994. It is you who has aged and got used to other games with highly advanced 3D, which makes you think this is unplayable. That is why I said to stick with it because after a while you get used it again, and then the great gameplay shines through.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:44 am

Seadog74 wrote:Anyone mentioned Worms yet? Perhaps one of the last great amiga titles before it got ported to the playstation and so on.
Agreed.The amiga*post commodore* had some great releases in 1995
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:19 pm

C=Style wrote:
Neilos626 wrote: If you played either of these now both have aged poorly. In fact I would go so far as to say they are almost unplayable these days.
I play it fairly regularly it's not aged. Think about it, how can it age? It is the same game it was back in 1994. It is you who has aged and got used to other games with highly advanced 3D, which makes you think this is unplayable. That is why I said to stick with it because after a while you get used it again, and then the great gameplay shines through.
Stunt Race is still a joy to play. I was doing so the other night. The game is so charming and unusual. It looks decent and sounds amazing. You literally need to take 1 race to master the controls and you are good to go.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:23 pm

I remember Arkanoid: Doh it Again on SNES about 1997. Don't know if it sold loads though. I bought it! :lol:

As for anything else; yeah, we'd all pretty much moved on (been suckered into?) the 32bit era by then. 1996 was a massive year for the Gaming Industry.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Freestyler wrote:As for anything else; yeah, we'd all pretty much moved on (been suckered into?) the 32bit era by then. 1996 was a massive year for the Gaming Industry.
Pah, maybe you were happy with your ancient 32 bits, I'd moved onto 64 bit by then :wink: :wink:

/joke

The last few games I bought new for the SNES were Williams Arcade Classics, Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Donkey Kong Country 3. Street Fighter Alpha 2 was particularly impressive despite it's shortcomings as it just shouldn't have been possible at all on a 16 bit console. I find DKC 3 particularly memorable as throughout the game, whenever you talk to Wrinkly Kong, she's sitting playing Super Mario 64 on an N64 (complete with theme tune playing in the background)...this was just before the N64 launched in the UK and it whetted my appetite for Nintendo's next big thing nicely. :) Was a superb looking/sounding game too, although I still think that DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest was easily the best of the 3 DKC games.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Bardman

Post by Bardman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:
Bardman wrote:stuff

We get you are a DKC (3) fanboy, your arguments for it being the most hyped, pumped successful or whatever you wish to call it last 16 game it does lead to a rather blinkered discussion as, I said the sales figures to compare and contrast are not really out there especially in the UK and Europe.
Firstly, look back at all my posts, and I'm talking about DKC, not DK3. I have said that DKC, the original, had a much bigger impact than DKC2 & 3.

Secondly, I'm not a DKC fanboy, as I didn't buy the game back in the day. A friend did, though, and I liked it. Look back at my posts, and I actually say I prefer Yoshi's Island, although I realise that DKC was a bigger hit.

You can go on about sales figures, technical achievements, whatever, but.. the fact is DKC, the original xmas 94 release, was a huge thing. Sonic 3, then Sonic & Knuckles, were also big things, and lastly... Yoshi's Island was a big thing. I mentioned those games, as they stick in my mind as being some of the last games that caused waves of excitement across the 16-bit gaming scene.

I don't know why you think you're speaking for everyone here? That's a weird attitude. Do you really think you're a godly expert, who's opinion is more worthy than others? ... That's how it seems. I suggest we forget about this crazy argument, because it's only about old games, and should be a fun conversation, not a battle. :mrgreen:

Seadog74 wrote:Anyone mentioned Worms yet? Perhaps one of the last great amiga titles before it got ported to the playstation and so on.
I will definitely agree with Worms being one of the last, great, succesful 16-bit games. In fact, as it came out in 1995, it could be the one. Although, was it a big thing in America as well as Britain? ... That's where DKC, Sonic & Knuckles, Yoshi's Island, may have the edge over it. I will also say MK3 is up there as a contender.

Neilos626 wrote:what about killer instinct on the snes, this came out very late in its life and caused mass hysteria if I remember correctly. I still love this game, 60 hit combos with chief thunder. Bring it on!!!
I forgot about that. Doh! :oops: .... Another contender to add to the list. I remember people did go mad about it, as it was a very hyped game, and popular in the arcades. It was late in the day, too. Thanks for reminding me, I think it's a very worthy choice.

Freestyler wrote:I remember Arkanoid: Doh it Again on SNES about 1997. Don't know if it sold loads though. I bought it! :lol:

As for anything else; yeah, we'd all pretty much moved on (been suckered into?) the 32bit era by then. 1996 was a massive year for the Gaming Industry.
Gentleman, we have a winner :lol: ... It's a shame that Arkanoid came out sooo late on the SNES, as it's a nice game.

I think most people, who could afford 32-bit hardware, had moved from 16-bit by 96. I personally had a U.S 3DO in 94, so I was really into that when the last wave of 16-bit games arrived. Then I bought the PS1 & Saturn in 95, so I had lost a lot of interest in 16-bit as early as 94.

These days, though, I love 16-bit gaming far more than 32-bit gaming. 16-bit classics are by far my first choice when it comes to retro gaming.

Cheers for all the positive, interesting replies. This topic is simply food for thought - and not to be taken too seriously. :)

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:44 am

I know it wasn't released over here on the SNES, but Final Fantasy VI deserves a mention :)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:00 am

Probably was DKC to be honest. Not necessarily the best but in terms of making a stir when everything else around it was focussing on the emerging formats it really punched above its weight.
The game was a pretty much unprecedented visual treat and while perhaps not the most challenging title in the world it was and is eminently playable with great characters and some brilliantly conceived levels.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:52 am

Bardman wrote: Firstly, look back at all my posts, and I'm talking about DKC, not DK3. I have said that DKC, the original, had a much bigger impact than DKC2 & 3.

Secondly, I'm not a DKC fanboy, as I didn't buy the game back in the day. A friend did, though, and I liked it. Look back at my posts, and I actually say I prefer Yoshi's Island, although I realise that DKC was a bigger hit.

You can go on about sales figures, technical achievements, whatever, but.. the fact is DKC, the original xmas 94 release, was a huge thing. Sonic 3, then Sonic & Knuckles, were also big things, and lastly... Yoshi's Island was a big thing. I mentioned those games, as they stick in my mind as being some of the last games that caused waves of excitement across the 16-bit gaming scene.

I don't know why you think you're speaking for everyone here? That's a weird attitude. Do you really think you're a godly expert, who's opinion is more worthy than others? ... That's how it seems. I suggest we forget about this crazy argument, because it's only about old games, and should be a fun conversation, not a battle. :mrgreen:

Nothing beats a good rant, And mine are never any good especially when I cant read. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ive had something of a shocking week, but we cant all be 'life's winners' all the time. :twisted:

That last bit you've written is up there with the most numpty condescending (Mr Vengence styly) bits of crud Ive ever seen on here tbh.

I'm mofo'ing Henry's Cat in terms of knowledge here. I never profess to be anything different.

To misquote a famous chinese saying yuk-fu
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Freestyler wrote:As for anything else; yeah, we'd all pretty much moved on (been suckered into?) the 32bit era by then. 1996 was a massive year for the Gaming Industry.
Pah, maybe you were happy with your ancient 32 bits, I'd moved onto 64 bit by then :wink: :wink:

/joke
I'd have loved an N64 in 96, but the price of the carts were absolutely SHOCKING! :shock: Seventy-five quid for censored TUROK!??! Jesus Christ! That was half my bloody wage packet back then! :x

I think I bought one in 98, but even then the high price of carts meant I only bought a handful of games. All "Killer" titles like Mario, Zelda and Banjo. Sad really, as if it was a (cheaper) CD-based console I personally think it would have owned the planet. :|
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Freestyler wrote:I'd have loved an N64 in 96, but the price of the carts were absolutely SHOCKING! :shock: Seventy-five quid for censored TUROK!??! Jesus Christ! That was half my bloody wage packet back then! :x

I think I bought one in 98, but even then the high price of carts meant I only bought a handful of games. All "Killer" titles like Mario, Zelda and Banjo. Sad really, as if it was a (cheaper) CD-based console I personally think it would have owned the planet. :|
Yeah, I can understand that completely. I've always been a self confessed Nintendo fanboy. Other consoles, I'll buy weeks, months, even years after they're released but Ninty hardware always has me standing there at the front of the queue on launch day, selling my relatives if needs be to raise the cash. The cost of N64 carts was always an issue though, it eventually drove me into buying my first Playstation a year or so later. I was lucky at the time, I was earning a decent wage and still living at home, my mum never took a massive amount of money off me for 'keep' so I was able to buy most games I wanted back in those days, and also personally knew a couple of the guys who worked in what was then Electronics Boutique and so usually got the staff discount for buying stuff there. :lol: I did end up with twice as many Playstation games as N64 ones though and as you say it was pretty much mainly down to the cost asides from anything else. Anyways....going off topic here....

I think (as most other people have said) that the only real contender for the last great, successful 16-bit game is DKC. Sure, there were other, impressive games around the same era, but none got people talking the way DKC did. None stunned people, including non gamers, the way DKC did. Remember the TV ads? DKC didn't just sell itself, it sold SNES consoles by the shedload at a time when people should've been heading straight for the Saturn and Playstation. Yoshi's Island may have been the better game overall and sold quite well, but I'll bet that the majority of people who picked up DKC/SNES bundle boxsets never bothered with it. (hence why Yoshi's Island is probably more of a valuable commodity for a collector than any of the DKC games)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:25 pm

On the SNES I'd say that definately Donkey Kong Country (1994), its sequels (1995 and 1996) as well as Yoshi's Island (1995) really stand out. I've scanned through the list of SNES games on Wikipedia and to be honest can't really see anything which - in my mind - beat these titles in the 1995-97 era. I guess by about this time everyone had moved on to the PS/Saturn/N64.

I can't speak much about the Mega Drive as I didn't have one at that time.
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:55 am

well not going by sales or anything
im surprised nobody mentioned final fantasy 3 yet
despite the fact i dont like it very much it does push the snes to it limits
so do star ocean
tales of phantasia and seiken detetsu 3
the afor mentioned street fighter alpha 2 is also a techical tour de force capcom managed to squeeze out of the snes
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 am

snowkatt wrote:well not going by sales or anything
im surprised nobody mentioned final fantasy 3 yet
despite the fact i dont like it very much it does push the snes to it limits
so do star ocean
tales of phantasia and seiken detetsu 3
the afor mentioned street fighter alpha 2 is also a techical tour de force capcom managed to squeeze out of the snes
I for one was always annoyed that FF3 (or actually FFVI) was never released to PAL territories during the SNES life. What a bloody outrage! Especially since Super Play used to rave about it so much. Meh.

Nintendo hated Europe back then anyway.