The last great, succesful 16-bit game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bardman

Re: The last great, succesful 16-bit game?

Post by Bardman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:13 pm

:D Thanks for the interesting replies - there are lots of great 16-bit swan songs listed.

I was thinking more of games that the general games playing public went mad about - games that sold a million+. When I mention Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, Sonic3/Sonic Knuckles, it's because they were released at a time when 16-bit was still alive, but on it's way out, and all three did really impress the gaming market on the whole and sold tons of copies.

Games like Vectorman, Red Zone, Comix Zone, DKC 2 & 3, SFA2, Ristar, are all really great examples of last great 16-bit titles, but none of them had as big an impact as the big three I mentioned, simply because the 32-bit age had begun by the time they were released, and 16-bit was on it's last legs.

Of course DK3, Vectorman, Red Zone, Ristar, are awesome 16-bit games, but they didn't set the gaming world on fire. Donkey Kong Country did, back in winter 94, and I will vote that as the last great, hugely succesful 16-bit game.
Yoshi's Island did impress gamers, and sold well, but it was too late to be a massive hit. Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles were really big successes, though, so they come close in my mind as being the last great 16-bit titles.

Of course we can all talk about personal taste - the last 16-bit games we loved, but.. the topic is about the last great game that the general public went mad about. Donkey Kong Country is my choice, because it did blow people away, and sold a huge amount. It was simply the last big thing in 16-bit gaming imo. I like Yoshi's Island much more though. :mrgreen:

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:21 pm

The Donkey Kong Country games were definetely mind blowing tech achievements but what can you expect from Rare? I mean c'mon they're British for cryin' out loud!

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was also quite an impressive achievement in terms of scope - never seen a game like that in terms of a platformer, obviously Golden Sun did it from an RPG perspective and im sure other genres have it covered to but not a platformer!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Alien Solider was late on in the Megadrive's life that's ace

ISS Deluxe, MK3, UMK3 Could be amongst contenders for that system Mk3 topped 1 million in the states

The problem with this subject is that figures are going to be skewed by early adopters to PSX, or other next gen consoles or PC gaming as a result there was a lower, more niche audience in the first place

Also there are no concrete sales figures for all, available either
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Mickey mania

Bardman

Post by Bardman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Alien Solider was late on in the Megadrive's life that's ace

ISS Deluxe, MK3, UMK3 Could be amongst contenders for that system Mk3 topped 1 million in the states

The problem with this subject is that figures are going to be skewed by early adopters to PSX, or other next gen consoles or PC gaming as a result there was a lower, more niche audience in the first place

Also there are no concrete sales figures for all, available either
Away from sales figures, I'm talking about the last game that really had a big impact on the 16-bit scene, before the 32-bit machines became the next big thing. By 'big impact' .. I mean the game got millions of gamers excited and sold a million+.

I think MK3 is worth considering, but did it cause as much excitement as MK2 had previously?

Looking back as a keen, obsessive gamer, I would say Donkey Kong Country is the game. It caused major waves of excitement across the gaming world when it appeared at CES 94( or whatever the show was called back then ) ... and went on to sell millions of copies. It was, in my opinion, the final big thing of the 16-bit era.

Sonic & Knuckles is up there, as a game that people really liked, but I don't think it stirred up quite as much excitement as Donkey Kong Country.

Of course, enthusiasts will say Alien Soldier, Yoshi's Island, Comix Zone etc... Games that are great and also appeared at the end of the 16-bit age, but none had the same impact, or success as Donkey Kong Country.

I'm not saying Donkey Kong Country is the perfect game, or being biased because I like it. It's just me looking back and recalling that the game was, in my mind... the last major hit in 16-bit gaming. This subject isn't about personal favourites, but simply what was the last 16-bit title that people went crazy about? ... Not everyone likes DKC, but there is no denying that it was a big thing back in 94. Sonic & Knuckles was also really popular. Yoshi's Island was seen as something special, but it arrived too late in the day. There are other excellent titles, but all came too late to really cause waves of excitement across the broad spectrum of gamers.

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:06 am

what about killer instinct on the snes, this came out very late in its life and caused mass hysteria if I remember correctly. I still love this game, 60 hit combos with chief thunder. Bring it on!!!
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:34 am

Bardman wrote:stuff

We get you are a DKC (3) fanboy, your arguments for it being the most hyped, pumped successful or whatever you wish to call it last 16 game it does lead to a rather blinkered discussion as, I said the sales figures to compare and contrast are not really out there especially in the UK and Europe.

For example, using that reliable source of information (lol) wikipedia Dragons Quest VI sold 3.2 million copies on release in Japan alone. According to the stats this is 300,000 more units that DKC3 (which has combined figures for USA and Japan) More information can be found here

Heck, Super Mario World 2 also smashed DKC 3 figures coming in at a meagre 4 million combined sales But again these figures afaik dont show European or other area sales to provide a better comparison.

Anecdotally, No one I knew at, college or work at the time was going 'mental' with anticipation. I dont remember specifically it being hyped to high heaven as opposed to normal media previews etc ( colour me corrected if you can provide empirical proof other wise) if fact it didnt register period.

Amongst my friends people may have well purchased it, but they werent going this is like the best game ever or the last hurrah of the 16 bits, The hype for the first DKC and use of Silicon Graphics (iirc) was where it was at. This was just another sequel in the series as far as they were concerned Sales which dramatically drop off suggest this from same thing as above DKC 8million, DKC2 4.37 million and DKC 3 2.89 million great figures but HUGE drop off. The rest, well we had a few early adopters to Sega Saturn and the PSX, many stuck by their Miggy's, some went PC. To be honest the Snes/ Megadrive were as the PS2 is today, greatly downsized awaiting the release of other newer consoles and on that level were less promoted and less available.

You keep saying DKC3 was causing major waves of excitement, in the gaming world, show me how it made a massive impact on a dying format?

Your argument also negates that games were largely being scaled down with production runs generally being curtailed because of the upcoming switch to 32 bit generation ( and is why some of the later games on most 16 bit formats are genuinely rare production runs of very limited numbers as opposed to multimillions). There are exceptions, including those that have been mentioned. But with a limited choice and very limited support it wasnt as if it was a 'fair playing field' anyway.

I've not looked at the home computers in this but in PC land, Myst, Doom 1,2 and its various clones, Duke Nuk'em 3d and Quake anticipation would almost certainly be where the 'gamers' would be at Sales figures 6 million for Myst ( I know it was bundled with stuff) would also draw potential customers away from 16 bit consoles and gawd only knows what figures were for the later stage Amigas (16bit).

So yeah, show me the hype and impact and stuff and get back to us

Cheers
RMLF
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:33 am

SFA2 was one of the last releases on the Snes, but what was the final game to get a release in the UK?

DKC was an outstanding game and like what pokemon did for the Gameboy, really breathed new life into the Snes, I worked as a saturday kid at the time the game came out and got to go to a Nintendo thing in Croydon, where they unveiled DKC and the Super Gameboy to retailers and the forthcoming Ultra 64. To be I was in heaven, they had a a time challenge cart of DKC running of the first level to, and whoever collected the most banana's in the fastest time won a prize. They gave out goody bags to everone as well, with a Nintendo Fountain pens, posters, Donkey Kong Soundtrack CD, plus lots of DK's Back t-shirts (how I so wish I had kept those now!) I still have the press pack with all the pictures and info on the Ultra 64, plus sales info and stats on the NES/GB/Snes ranges, plus a few bits of Point of Sale advertising. Turned out my birthday was the same day as DKC release so the Nintendo people gave me a free Sony Walkman (which I still have!)
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:21 am

bensonrad wrote:SFA2 was one of the last releases on the Snes, but what was the final game to get a release in the UK?
I'd take a stab at it being Lucky Luke in October 1997. That's certainly the last SNES release in the EU that's listed on Wikipedia. Any advances on that?

SFA2 was December 1996 for reference.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:51 am

SFA2 on the SNES was on the front of my mind... Super Mario RPG as well. I remember buying both of those at the start of 1997 when visiting NYC over Xmas time. Yeah, that was a little late in proceedings compared to when they were released, but I was at university and had to save the money up for stuff heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:19 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:
You keep saying DKC3 was causing major waves of excitement, in the gaming world, show me how it made a massive impact on a dying format?
It didn't, simple.

While the original was staggering, truly it blew me and many other away. Nobody even knew the 3rd game came out! All of us at school had moved onto PS1s and Saturns while others were excited about the Ultra 64. DKC3 was certainly a good game but it had a lot smaller impact than the original.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:36 am

Stunt Race FX is a supremely playable game, I urge anyone who thinks it's pants to persevere with it as it's tough to get into but once you do it has some really satisfying gameplay that really has no right to be on a 16-bit console.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:42 am

C=Style wrote:Stunt Race FX is a supremely playable game, I urge anyone who thinks it's pants to persevere with it as it's tough to get into but once you do it has some really satisfying gameplay that really has no right to be on a 16-bit console.
I agree. Ok it has a low frame rate but the design of the whole thing is fantastic. So many different tracks, 4 totally different cars and a truck. Great music and sound allover. The 16bit racer with the most replay value along with F-Zero.

Virtua Racer was also decent on the MD i thought.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:53 am

Oh yeah definitely, VR on MD was good but didn't have nowhere near the depth of Stunt Race FX, It also has the Stunt mode which were all completely different tracks and a very decent 2 player spilt screen battle mode. It is a stone wall classic and I'm always surprised to hear people saying it's crap, but then I've even read that of Star Wing. Along with F-Zero and Mario Kart it is among the best racers of that era for sure yeah.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 am

Anyone mentioned Worms yet? Perhaps one of the last great amiga titles before it got ported to the playstation and so on.