Was the Megadrive II region free?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Was the Megadrive II region free?

Post by Mantas » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:56 pm

I'm only asking cause I picked up Dungeons and Dragons - Warriors of the Eternal Sun, at the booty and when I got home I realised that it said "Genesis" on the box, cart and manual. I gave it a try anyway since the cart is the same as the MD ones and it worked. Is it just this game that works on PAL systems?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:22 pm

A lot of games, especially early ones, didn't enforce regionalisation.

Desert Strike is another example if you want one.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Dell_Zincht

Post by Dell_Zincht » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:09 pm

The US version of Sonic 3 won't work on a European Mega Drive 2. I know this because I bought one off Ebay as a curiosity thing and it didn't work (not that I was expecting it to.)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:39 am

I only know desert strike does because it was in a bundle of games I picked up at Gamestation and I didn't realise till I got home :)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:50 am

I have a PAL (European) MegaDrive II and an NTSC (US) Sonic 2 and it works perfectly .... so there's another game!

However I do know that a US Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition doesn't work in a European Megadrive - when I tried it I was greated with a screen saying it could only be used in a US Megadrive :( but I got the UK version shortly afterwards :D

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:08 am

Most of the early Mega Drive titles were region free, I belive that the games themselfs hold the region lockout not the console and it is easy to "mod" a Megadrive to think it is an NTSC or PAL model.

The later games, Blue cases in the UK and Red cases in the USA (early games had the black background with the silver/gray grid running through) are more likely to be region locked in my experiance although a lot of these titles such as Outrunners and True lies, that never had a UK release work just fine.

thl

Post by thl » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:23 am

Some Japanese Mega Drive games seem to work on the PAL machine. Back in the early 90s, I had a go on the Japanese import version of Wonderboy: Monsters' Lair, which works fine on the UK Mega Drive.:o

The design of the Japanese cartridge is very different to the one in European and US. Although it's tricky to insert it into the PAL machine, you have to push it quite hard to make sure it's slotted in properly, otherwise it won't work.

I don't know if it still work nowadays, but you can go and find out.

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:55 am

thl wrote:Some Japanese Mega Drive games seem to work on the PAL machine. Back in the early 90s, I had a go on the Japanese import version of Wonderboy: Monsters' Lair, which works fine on the UK Mega Drive.:o

The design of the Japanese cartridge is very different to the one in European and US. Although it's tricky to insert it into the PAL machine, you have to push it quite hard to make sure it's slotted in properly, otherwise it won't work.

I don't know if it still work nowadays, but you can go and find out.
Or, you can hack the sides of the cart slot away(I'm sure you can find details on the net), or even easier buy a converter cartridge. I had Jap Sonic 1 and some shooter I couldn't even begin to tell you the name of.

thl

Re: Was the Megadrive II region free?

Post by thl » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:07 am

Mantas wrote:I'm only asking cause I picked up Dungeons and Dragons - Warriors of the Eternal Sun, at the booty and when I got home I realised that it said "Genesis" on the box, cart and manual. I gave it a try anyway since the cart is the same as the MD ones and it worked. Is it just this game that works on PAL systems?
I also had a go on the US import version of Thunderforce III and it really worked. :o

This is probably the rarest (maybe lucky) features to have on the UK console.

Utini

Post by Utini » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:45 am

I seem to remember that the greatest impediment to cross region carts on the MD-Jap, MD-Eur and Genesis was the shape of the them. A friend had a Jap version of R-Type, which wouldn't fit in our euro MD's. Instead of damaging the consoles, we took a hacksaw to the cart in question, and it worked perfectly.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:15 pm

I have a converter cart & while the gameplay is fine, the music slows down quite noticably. Probably the old NTSC -> PAL conversion, who knows?

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:41 pm

Quite a few carts in Gamestation down here are labeld genisis. Amate brought 1 for his MD and it worked fine