Lazy Jones (Commodore)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

seanmcmanus

Lazy Jones (Commodore)

Post by seanmcmanus » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:42 pm

Hello

I was interested in the piece about Lazy Jones in the latest issue. I'm more of an Amstrad man than Commodore, but I'm intrigued enough by this write-up to seek guidance on how I can play this. Is there a good Commodore emulator you can recommend, and a place where I can get a snapshot of this game? I did a quick Google but couldn't find a snapshot and I'd appreciate feedback from users on the best Windows C64 emulator.

Thanks
Sean

The Last Ginja

Re: Lazy Jones (Commodore)

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:08 pm

seanmcmanus wrote:Hello

I was interested in the piece about Lazy Jones in the latest issue. I'm more of an Amstrad man than Commodore, but I'm intrigued enough by this write-up to seek guidance on how I can play this. Is there a good Commodore emulator you can recommend, and a place where I can get a snapshot of this game? I did a quick Google but couldn't find a snapshot and I'd appreciate feedback from users on the best Windows C64 emulator.

Thanks
Sean
You're not allowed to ask for ROMS in here, it's naughty and the Police will slap your wrist.However, Vice is THE best C64 emulator.

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:10 am

Oh, okay. I'll retract my request for a Lazy Jones copy then. Shame, since it was the only way I'd get to play it. I don't own a C64, and I don't know anyone else who does either. I don't really know my way around the C64 community either, since it's not my machine of choice. Perhaps I'll root around the web again later, or more likely I'll just never play this classic that RG has inspired me to seek out. I'd buy it on tape if I had a machine to play it on.

Perhaps RetroGamer could start asking their interviewees if they own the rights to their work and if they mind them being distributed for free from the RG website? Since they're talking anyway, a simple 'yes' or even a signed permission form would be a great contribution to the community, because it would enable games like this to be widely available and would greatly enhance the editorial. It would also be a great contribution to the business, because it would give RG desirable and exclusive legal retro content that would bring in new readers.

Thanks for the emulator recommendation. I'll check it out.

revgiblet

Re: Lazy Jones (Commodore)

Post by revgiblet » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:13 am

The Last Ginja wrote:You're not allowed to ask for ROMS in here, it's naughty and the Police will slap your wrist.However, Vice is THE best C64 emulator.
Pffft. CCS64 is the best emulator.

We should start a thread about which emulator is the best for a given system. Instead of "C64 vs. Spectrum" arguments we could have "WinUAE vs. WinFellow" instead. That would be suitably postmodern for me.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:14 am

Come on Sean !

C64 games are easyyyyyyyyy to find on the web, sure you can use a search engine !

Lazy Jones is worth playing, its like a very basic early Warioware Inc. The Spectrum version is freely available from World of Spectrum but if you want the C64 version theres some great C64 sites out there

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:29 am

Lazy Jones, I used to love that game. I could never do the one where you had to navigate through the cave though.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:15 am

seanmcmanus wrote:Perhaps RetroGamer could start asking their interviewees if they own the rights to their work and if they mind them being distributed for free from the RG website?
The vast majority of people don't. However, in hindsight, I should have mentioned that Usagi Yojimbo (the making-of I wrote for the current issue) is freely available for download, due to Beam being cool and groovy with its old IP. You can download it—legally—from this link on Lemon64 (amongst other places).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:16 am

And the music was a big hit all over Europe a few years back.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

pompeysimon

Post by pompeysimon » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:22 am

what issue is this in?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:34 am

#29—the one with the Oli Frey zombies cover.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:50 am

CraigGrannell wrote:#29—the one with the Oli Frey zombies cover.
Ahhh, Zombies! I thought they were Spectrum owners... 8)
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:09 pm

how about c64.com , or ebay
Retro when it wasnt cool

pompeysimon

Post by pompeysimon » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:20 pm

will have to take the mag to show me mum as this was one of the few games she used to play, that and an old vic 20 called fly or summat? she spent hours play them!!
If it smells of fish, then eat it!!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:16 pm

okay, I've been playing this tonight and the only level I can't seem to figure out is 99 red Balloons.... Any pointers? playing C64 version.

Poster Paster

Post by Poster Paster » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:39 pm

99 Red Balloons: If memory serves...

You need to hit the fire button at the right point as you pass the balloon - near the end of the string. Get two balloons like this. Takes a bit of practice as it's a little tricky.

You float up, get your kiss from the flashing lady/drone-thing (!), then get another balloon in the same manner to float down.... just the one.

...aaaand repeat.

PP