'Classic' games you don't understand the hype about

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:01 pm

I found it incredibly dificult, took me an hour of practicing track one before i could get round it with only a few bumps, but that was the point. it was a tough game. Like I said before.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:12 am

Robbo wrote:I can never understand why they want to make football games more and more realistic... I mean, next thing you know, they'll make it so you show physical tiredness whilst the game progresses!

If I wanted realism, I'd grab a football and go play down on dog censored common.

I play games with the emphasis on fun not realism.

they already have! Super Soccer on Speccy had it-it made the game unplayable
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

White Demon

Post by White Demon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:16 am

I could never understand the hype of the Ecco series. Swim around, do a few loops & tricks, marvel at the level of graphics the Megadrive is capable of (the second game does LOOK awesome), then wonder where the hell the game is or what I'm supposed to be doing?

The Megadrive versions looks and feel good as a technical demo of what the machine was capable of, but as a game they made no sense to me.
The Dreamcast version was not too bad, but on the whole I could never understand the series.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:03 pm

I loved Ecco on the game gear. Just a bit too damn hard

Post by * » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:39 pm

All football games are just very elaborate Pong clones. :P

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:55 pm

* wrote:All football games are just very elaborate Pong clones. :P
FIFA certainly stinks!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:55 pm

Wip3out and 2097 were great, extremely fast and totally satisfying when you finally nailed a course. Also, The 'sparky effect' of hitting an apex just right made you feel all gooey inside.

Sorry, I really tried to think up some better terminology there, but it's late and I've just got back from work :P

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:11 pm

I thought Half Life was overated for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Strider is great, the MD version is nearly arcade perfect and a cracking play. Not overated.

Final Fantasy 7. Im not a big RPG fan but I love the Zelda games, and I liked Secret of Mana so I guess Im a main stream RPG fan but FF sucked balls. Dont know why, just didnt like it but the random battles didnt help.

Goldeneye is overated, I cant play it for more than a few minutes without getting either a. bored or b. blind from the blurry muddy crap visuals.

IMO, Doom is not overated. It wasnt the first FPS but it had great level design, cool weapons, ultra violence, secrets, atmosphere, and most importantly, it had network multiplayer. It was this combination that made it more than the sum of its parts and a game that I have never got bored of playing. I agree about the whole ID soap opera crap. They werent as cool as they thought they were.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:43 pm

Goldeneye isn't overrated, it just hasn't aged well at all.

White Demon

Post by White Demon » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:07 am

Another one that I couldn't understand is Commander Keen. I remember when it came out, everyone in school was raving over it and they'd spend their whole lunchtimes in the computer room playing the game. But when I played it, I couldn't stand the thing after just a few minutes of game playing. The game just frankly sucked.

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:53 am

I find the Final Fantasy games to be rather repetative, then again I despise RPG's :oops:

Tomb Raider games are good, but it's just the poor controlls that kills it for me. Anyway, overrated games:

Sonic CD - Probably my biggest gaming disapointment, there was clearly something missing from this, just find it so dull, barely any enemies to fight, and the end boss was utter crap. Though the race against Metal Sonic was ace, loved that bit. Dont get the hype with the soundtracks either, it's only Sonic music right?

Yoshi's Story (mario world 2) As a stand alone game, it's really good, but I purchased it thinking it really was the new Mario World, far from it.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:34 pm

I could not understand the hype surrounding Populous. I find those God games boring but I REALLY could not and still cannot understand why it was so popular. Boring boring boring.