'Classic' games you don't understand the hype about

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:16 pm

Pro Evo is overrated. People only love it because IT ISN'T FIFA.

When you look at it properly you see a neverending franchise that is trying to bleed us just as dry as EA are doing, only the game is presented like a channel 5 tv show. It has the worst menu systems and the most laughable voice 'acting' I have ever heard. It offers no real innovation that FIFA doesn't, but still people think it is the dogs testacles. Both FIFA and Pro Evo should give up for 2 years and come up with something different.

StarEye

Re:

Post by StarEye » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:55 pm

SirClive wrote:Pro Evo is overrated. People only love it because IT ISN'T FIFA.
You know, there are people who enjoy both. I do, for example, but I still reckon PES as the best of the two by far. Never before has the world seen such a deep and "real" soccer game. The moves you can do are astonishing, and the goals you can score are even more breathtaking. And when you DO score in the game, it's because you actually played well. Unlike FIFA, where a goal is just another number and satisfaction from putting one in equals zero.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:59 pm

Why oh why did 'the powers that be' decide when resurrecting Sensi not to continue on from SWOS? From my understanding it is an update of the original Sensi format but I guess this was easier taking into account they couldn't have the rights to the REAL team and player names :x .

In any case, this is quite a feeling of deja-vu.

broton

Re:

Post by broton » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:02 am

StarEye wrote:If you like, PES is the equivelent of Kick Off 2, while FIFA is the equivelent of Sensible Soccer.
I've made that comparison before, though I like SWOS and I can't get on with FIFA.

And I agree that Konami should rest PES for a year between each update in order to make a real difference to the game. PES5, although impressively realistic in some ways (the players have weight!) sucked a lot of the fun out of the game IMO.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:12 am

PES5 required some practice to get into, probably the toughest yet. But I still love the game and in my opinion the best of the series so far.

However, PES6 is supposedly putting the fun back in, and you also won't automatically foul by holding X. I'm looking forward to play it on my X360 as well, in all HD glory... plus the long-awaited widescreen mode.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:26 am

I can never understand why they want to make football games more and more realistic... I mean, next thing you know, they'll make it so you show physical tiredness whilst the game progresses!

If I wanted realism, I'd grab a football and go play down on dog censored common.

I play games with the emphasis on fun not realism.

skylarking

Re:

Post by skylarking » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:20 am

Robbo wrote:I can never understand why they want to make football games more and more realistic... I mean, next thing you know, they'll make it so you show physical tiredness whilst the game progresses!
I agree, and that goes for sports games in general. Too much realism = too much boredom.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:24 am

PES 5 is the most played game in my Xbox collection.

It takes a while to learn the skills, as it does in real football. Unlike Fifa where you often get unrealistic scorelines.

Fifa= Arcade football.
Pro Evo=Sim.

It's the same as Gran Turismo vs Ridge Racer, 2 games that have the same goal, to win races, but both taking different approaches to reach that goal.

All these people saying it's not fun have obviously not played it for any length of time.

Only last night I was playing against one of my mates, and I was 2-1 down with 10 minutes(game time) to play. I changed my formation, and BAM! I won 3-2 with the winning goal coming seconds before the whistle was blown. Now that was fun.

Post by * » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Wipeout 2097. A lot of players whined about the challenging handling system of the original Wipeout, so when it came to making the sequel, Psygnosis took these complaints on board and added many "improvements" to the game's gameplay and overall presentation.
"Improvements" over the original include: Dumbed down handling, broken collision detection, butt ugly vehicles, tracks that are either insultingly easy or stupidly hard with nothing in between, way too much emphasis on the weapons, the stupid checkpoint system, garish graphics, very garish and irritating menu screens, giving each track a fixed speed class, and the addition of an energy bar so you get to see your butt ugly vehicle explode after its absolutely gigantic hitbox has slightly scraped the side of the track too many times.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:28 pm

* wrote:Wipeout 2097. A lot of players whined about the challenging handling system of the original Wipeout, so when it came to making the sequel, Psygnosis took these complaints on board and added many "improvements" to the game's gameplay and overall presentation.
"Improvements" over the original include: Dumbed down handling, broken collision detection, butt ugly vehicles, tracks that are either insultingly easy or stupidly hard with nothing in between, way too much emphasis on the weapons, the stupid checkpoint system, garish graphics, very garish and irritating menu screens, giving each track a fixed speed class, and the addition of an energy bar so you get to see your butt ugly vehicle explode after its absolutely gigantic hitbox has slightly scraped the side of the track too many times.
I never liked the Wipeout series at all. Too hard to control, doesn't appeal to me very much and it's tediously boring.:(

F-Zero is definitely my choice for the finest futuristic racing game ever made. :D

Re:

Post by * » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm

thl wrote:I never liked the Wipeout series at all. Too hard to control, doesn't appeal to me very much and it's tediously boring.:(

F-Zero is definitely my choice for the finest futuristic racing game ever made. :D
The boring stuff is all at the beginning. Once you've mastered the handling well enough to drive fast and not bump into the track walls too much it becomes an incredibly satisfying game. Wipeout 1 and the Special Edition version of Wipeout 3 are still the only games that give me an adrenaline rush due to the sheer amount of single minded concentration and focus that it takes to do a perfect lap. At the end of a typical race in the fastest class of Wipeout 3 SE I usually look like this -> :shock: and I bloody love it. :D It's almost the racing equivalent of one of those crazy bullet hell shmups.
Do you mean just the SNES F-Zero, or the series in general? They're all totally different to eachother. :D

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:36 am

* wrote:
thl wrote:I never liked the Wipeout series at all. Too hard to control, doesn't appeal to me very much and it's tediously boring.:(

The boring stuff is all at the beginning. Once you've mastered the handling well enough to drive fast and not bump into the track walls too much it becomes an incredibly satisfying game. Wipeout 1 and the Special Edition version of Wipeout 3 are still the only games that give me an adrenaline rush due to the sheer amount of single minded concentration and focus that it takes to do a perfect lap. At the end of a typical race in the fastest class of Wipeout 3 SE I usually look like this -> :shock: and I bloody love it. :D It's almost the racing equivalent of one of those crazy bullet hell shmups.
Do you mean just the SNES F-Zero, or the series in general? They're all totally different to eachother. :D
I agree with this 100%, Wip3out is one of my all time favourite racing games. It's a shame that after this the series turned very average indeed. Wipeout Pure had great graphics but the gameplay felt very different and the AI was nothing short of a cheap cheating bastard on later levels.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:14 pm

I can't believe that Wipeout is disliked by people. I loved all of them. I particularly loved the original. Yes, it was hard, thats the whole point....At the time the graphics were stunning and super fast and yesy, you couldn't master it in 15 mins flat.

Admittedly they goit easier as they went but all of them looked excellent and played brilliantly. The finest futuristic racing sim series there is.

was dissapointed in Wipeout Fusion for PS2 though.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:18 pm

Hated Wipeout. I found it unplayable and unenjoyable.

Dark Reaper

Re:

Post by Dark Reaper » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:57 pm

thl wrote: I never liked the Wipeout series at all. Too hard to control, doesn't appeal to me very much and it's tediously boring.:(

I agree, I could never get into Wipeout. I got when I upgraded from a SNES to a PlayStation thinking that I would love it. It was probably the worst case of style over substance that I'd played up until then. Most disappointing Christmas present ever! :(