'Classic' games you don't understand the hype about

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:46 pm

Robbo wrote:For me it would have to be Kick Off 2. It was pile of poo. SWOS kicked it's arse every time!
Kick Off on the SNES was rubbish. Dodgy controls really messed up the gameplay and excitement. It's no way better than Sensible Soccer.

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:57 pm

broton wrote:
Robbo wrote:Strider on the Mega Drive was the bomb!

For me it would have to be Kick Off 2. It was pile of poo. SWOS kicked it's arse every time!

Oh no what have I done...... :twisted:
It's quite simple - you've got your games mixed up

The ability to change teams names does not a great footy game make.
Nope. Kick Off 2 was pap. Fact.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:07 pm

Swos is so much better than kick off 2 , i can't believe people still have a thing for kick off (any off em).

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:32 pm

Different strokes for different people. SWOS is fantastic, but Kick Off 2 is good too. It's the hardcore difficulty to master it that really attracts them.

Of course, I prefer SWOS myself, but can definately see why some people would like Kick Off 2 as well.

Workyticket

Post by Workyticket » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:51 pm

Funny, back in the day Kick Off 2 was seen as God's gift to video gaming, but you rarely hear people say good things about it nowadays. Funny how things change, but I do agree that it could never hold a candle to Sensi.

As for me, well I'll start with probably the most contentious one -Scramble. I just always found it kind of dull.

I never got the fuss about Mortal Kombat either, any of 'em. Confusing, badly-animated, mediocre pap. The fatalities got boring after 5 mins, which was also about as long as it took to realise that those much-lauded digitized graphics were a) In actual fact messy as hell, and b) just a bunch of poncey actors in garish costumes that could get them chucked out of a 5-year-old's costume party.

Nope, not a fan, Sir...

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:17 am

half life was total cack.

walk down a corridor

haha! wall explodes without warning

you are dead.

hope you saved the game recently.

ohh now crawl through this small vent, just you wait till you get to the other side....

....haha! i'll drop a cabinate on your head didn't see that coming!

you are dead!

hope you saved the game recently.

and on and on.

tedious trial and error gameplay does not a good game make. the sequels too linear and very boring too, oh and metal gear solid 2 is a pile of, but then those last two aren't 'retro'.

i always hated defender......

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:31 am

Funny as hell peoples different opinions ! Loved Half Life, thought Doom III was what you were kinda saying though, go down dark corridor, out of nowhere a monster appears behind me and kills me

Kickoff 2 / Player Manager i loved, SWOS i never really got into as much.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:37 am

Tapey297 wrote:Strider was a great game Ok I have never played the Master system version but the Megadrive verison was amazing. At the time the purple ninja pushed the hardware to the limit as well as being exiting and addictive.

The game I never got was Paradroid on C64 I got it on a covertape probably 1991 and just couldnt get into it despite it getting something like 98% from ZZap.
Anyone who whant to play a decent version of Strider needs to play it on Amiga, Megadrive or get yourself a copy of MAME and the ROMs to play Strider.
Workyticket wrote:I never got the fuss about Mortal Kombat either, any of 'em. Confusing, badly-animated, mediocre pap. The fatalities got boring after 5 mins, which was also about as long as it took to realise that those much-lauded digitized graphics were a) In actual fact messy as hell, and b) just a bunch of poncey actors in garish costumes that could get them chucked out of a 5-year-old's costume party.
I found the Mortal Kobat games to be very strange. I liked the idea (I'm a big Street Fighter II fan) but I don't think it worked too well. The difficulty was too variable in the sense that you set it to "EASY" and your first match could be rock solid and your second match very easy and also I found the computer player's intellegence to be lacking - the computer used to win by repetition of the same move, over & over & over & over & over (you get the meaning).

If I play against another person on Street Fighter 2 and they use alot of repetitive moves I usually comment with this: "If I wanted to play against an oppent with a repetive move, I'd play Mortal Kombat against the computer!"

Hence, I'm not really a Mortal Kombat fan. Also "Tekken" is too damn easy - I'd never played Tekken before but borrowed a copy of Tekken 4 off a mate (PS2) and I completed the game on easy within my first go (I only used one contiune):

TEKKEN = BUTTON BASHER

I HATE BUTTON BASHERS :evil:

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:34 am

woody.cool wrote:
Tapey297 wrote:Hence, I'm not really a Mortal Kombat fan. Also "Tekken" is too damn easy - I'd never played Tekken before but borrowed a copy of Tekken 4 off a mate (PS2) and I completed the game on easy within my first go (I only used one contiune):

TEKKEN = BUTTON BASHER

I HATE BUTTON BASHERS :evil:
Wonder who's gonna be the first person to say you shouldn't be playing on easy. Though to be honest, as long as it's on a setting that'll enable me to see the endings I don't mind. Didn't like learning the fatalities on MK, liked it when you could change the options so each button was a different one, obviously this more more with the friendlies, babalities, etc
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:23 am

I was playing Tekken on MEDIUM (or NORMAL)

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:54 am

I hated Elite. There. I said it. It bored me rigid, to be honest.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

broton

Re:

Post by broton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:38 am

If "pap" is defined as "the best ST/Amiga football game" then you are correct.

skylarking

Re:

Post by skylarking » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:04 am

Smurph wrote:I hated Elite. There. I said it. It bored me rigid, to be honest.
I haven't played Elite. I picked up the NES version a while ago, but haven't got round to trying it yet.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:08 am

Smurph wrote:I hated Elite. There. I said it. It bored me rigid, to be honest.
I couldn't dock in the 1st Space station, but got a mate to do it and then I bought the docking computer......and I agree. Tedium personified.

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:04 am

broton wrote:
If "pap" is defined as "the best ST/Amiga football game" then you are correct.
Pap, poo, pants, or just plain censored. Whichever word you choose to apply to Kick Off 2 it still has the same meaning... Kick Off 2 was massively over hyped and an awfully boring funless game, where SWOS was magnificent and still hasn't been bettered in ten years of newer footballing gaming.

"Kick Off Poo" :lol: :wink:

FACT.