Ye Olde User Created Content

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crunchy

Ye Olde User Created Content

Post by Crunchy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:29 am

I'd like to pick your collective brains if I may.

Two ZX spectrum games circa 1983 - "Penetrator" by Melbourne House and "The Dungeon Master" by Crystal Computing. Both of these games featured an editor to make your own versions of the game. Your creations could be saved and passed around to other players.

So, did any of you actually do this? Were you excited by the fact you could do this? Do you even remember this feature being there at all?

I recall having a quick dabble and not being particulalrly excited. Which is strange when you consider what an amazing feature this was way back then. It was something that didn't get more than a passing mention among my circle of friends. Nowadays user created content such as this can be a big selling point.

Also, are there any earlier examples of this sort of thing? I'm not talking about applications here, I'm interetsed in full retail games that had the ability to be expanded by the user and, crucially, saved so any new content could be distributed to other people.

Thanks for your time.

stvd

Re: Ye Olde User Created Content

Post by stvd » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:00 am

Racing game on the C64 (only had a loan of it for a short while - the game and the C64).
Racing Construction Kit?? Was that it?
It was isometric in the style of Rock n Roll Racing and you could even change the gravity! :)

I do remember there was a lot of loading times involved but also remember that I enjoyed it a lot.

Caves of Doom (on the Spectrum) had a room editor also.
Can't remember if you could save them though.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:38 am

Racing Destruction Set - gave you several different vehicles (including a moon buggy), variable gravity and surfaces, plus a Scalextric-like kit of parts to make your own tracks. Then there's the official Scalextric... a basic Pole Position/Pitstop style race with a kit.

In terms of early UGC, I'd have to go with the Adventure Construction Kit
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:39 am

Both budget titles, but I used to spend a fair amount of time messing about with the level creators on Skateboad Construction Kit (Players Software) and Kikstart 2 (Mastertronic)...the latter more so, me and a mate traded a couple of levels with each other on that.

Didn't Spindizzy also have an editor on it? (might be wrong there).
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

merman

Post by merman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:50 am

There's a Gyroscope construction kit.

Another unusual one - the Shadowfire tuner, which Beyond actually sold as a commercial product. Allowed you to tweak maps/starting locations/enemy strengths and so on.

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:17 pm

There's the Boulder Dash Construction Kit of course, there's a metric f**kton of level packs in Gamebase and AtariMania because of that one.

Come to think of it, i know Spore had an editor on the C16 and C64 but can't remember if it could save...?

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Udo Gertz' fantastic Bongo on the C16 had a savable level editor - http://www.retrogamer.net/show_image.ph ... 016&page=1
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:52 am

Championship Sprint on the Speccy (Super Sprint sequel) had a level editor, I remember coming back home from the Birmingham Superprix in '88 or '89 and recreating the Brum city centre track!

Since Championship appeared to be the same game as Super Sprint with different tracks, only a cynic could wonder as to how it had been created and brought to market...

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 pm

I remember the Racing Construction Set, I also remember also Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory on the C64 allowed you to create your own levels. So classic!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Not sure if you specifically wanted earlier examples, but here's a couple of games which definitely had similar things:

Grand Prix Construction Set (BBC): I'm pretty sure any tracks you made could be copied over to a disk for others to use. I remember it being absolutely infuriating making a whole track only to find that it wouldn't merge correctly and therefore you had to remake it until it did.

Repton Infinity (BBC): Now this was a beast - improving on the level editor of Repton 3, you actually had a full suite in which you could create your own games using the engine. It had 3 applications within the game:

Landscape - for creating levels.
Filmstrip - for creating art and animation for sprites.
Blueprint - for custom scripting, using the Reptol language.

There's a pretty good article on it here: http://capnkroaker.com/software/reptoni ... finity.php

I remember my brother and I actually created a kind of shoot-'em-up from scratch using this - it was certainly a pretty powerful tool to have included within a game. Again, you could copy your creations to other locations for others to use.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:51 pm

I enjoyed a lot of creativity back in the good old days. Kikstart 2 on the Spectrum was great. Obviously Shoot 'em-up Construction Kit, although that was technically not a game, but a game maker full stop.

I also enjoyed War Cars Construction Set on the Speccy, although one wrong button press sometimes left you stuck in an infinite loop of crashing.

My absolute favourite was the Build software included with Duke Nukem 3D. I made one level that was absolutely enormous, and I thought (personally) it turned out alright, with secrets and epic battles galore.

I know not quite the same, but does anyone remember Inner Space? It's not something you'd want to play these days on a PC with Gigbytes of software on your hard drive, but basically the game structured itself around the contents of it! So it basically made the game unique to your own computer.
ImageImage

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Inner Space sounds like fun, something I'll be looking around for.

Way back when, when we first "discovered" the debug mode in Sonic 2, we were under the assumption that we could customize the levels and make them really hard, and challenge each other with levels filled with thousands of Badniks and spikes. Dreams were shattered after spending over an hour placing things all over the place, only to find they disappeared once they disappeared off-screen. The thought was there though.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:40 am

I had 'Witchaven 2' on the PC, a first-person type affair that was actually a bit crap compared to the likes of Quake etc - but I remember I absolutely loved the Build feature on that and would spend hours designing my own large and complex levels (far more fun than playing the actual game!)
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:02 am

One of the PS1 Colin McCrae games had a track editor.
Although, now I think about it, it could have been V Rally. :?

merman

Post by merman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 am

stvd wrote:One of the PS1 Colin McCrae games had a track editor.
Although, now I think about it, it could have been V Rally. :?
V Rally 2 definitely had a track editor, don't think the McRae games did...