New EDF game coming next year.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Loftgroover

Re: New EDF game coming next year.

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:27 pm

http://tinyurl.com/37bbvxg

up for pre-order at play....3 player campaign online or 6 player survival mode!!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 am

Anyone importing this in early March or holding off until July for the European release?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:40 am

I'm waiting for the euro release.
Splink!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:49 pm

http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:58 am

Looking good can't wait! Though tbh, although the game looks like it has a lot more depth now, it seems to be lacking the full on carnage of 2017 a little bit. Really looking forward to it though.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:57 pm

It does seem to lack some of the carnage in that video but lets hope it does ramp it up in the full game. I really can't wait! Online co-op!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Its been put back to June for Euro release... i can't blooming wait. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:47 am

I completed this the other day and loved every minute. Has anyone else had a go yet. I was really impressed with the scale of the ravagers. The last fight is EPIC.

Some of the weapons are completely bonkers. There is a shotgun that fires 6 homing rounds, there is a grenade launcher that fires a cluster of sticky grenades which is my favorite so far.
300 weapons to unlock, can wait to see what else is in there.

Some great one liners in the game by your squadmates also gives it great comdey value like the first game.

EDF, EDF! :lol:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:47 am

What was there was good but the game was crushingly short, I actually preferred 2017
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Yeah me too though Insect Armageddon is still a good game in it's own right. It could of been a GREAT game had there just been more stages and a bit more variety in the weaponry and enemy types. I was also shocked by the length of it and how it came to a sudden end. There's still quite a bit of re-playability to it though. 8)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm just about to start on this, the fact that it's short doesn't really bother me, wasn't Monster Attack quite a short game if you just played through the once? Anyway hopefully at some point some of you might be up for some online shenanigans with it as well.
Splink!

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:05 pm

I've posted about this enough in the Currently Playing thread so I'm not going to repeat myself here too much.

The publisher should have called this EDF: Online and concentrated on marketing the co-op. The fans of EDF: 2017 are somewhat confused since they seem to think this game is actually EDF: 2017 Two, even though it doesn't say that on the box. Such is the nature of expectation and the incredibly picky whinging that often results when things aren't just so.

The game is short but the game is made to be replayed. The nearest thing to it on the 360 is probably Too Human. Play the same levels to rank up and gather weapons that are randomly dropped. Fifteen levels all told. A short experience if you batter through it on Normal difficulty with one character class and consider your job done. A not so very short at all experience if you play it on the higher difficulties and go for all the stuff with all the classes.

The online co-op is an absolute blast. Literally so when I lob in a shot from my Tier 8 Pesticide Mortar. With a blast radius of 150 meters and a damage of 500,000 it really clears much of the enemy out. And also my unwary teammates unfortunately. And often myself too if I've forgotten to cower behind my shield before I crack it off. Bonkers firepower. Beautiful.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:59 am

^ Yeah I agree, though the random weapon pick ups doesn't share the same system as 2017. In 2017 you could play on a hard setting and stand a chance of gaining a stupidly powerful weapon early on, it was pretty random how it worked and it made replaying the levels more exciting. In Insect Armageddon you earn points and unlock weapons via a tier system. It's not quite a fun as 2017 in this respect I don't think as it's restricted.

Also the game is a bit unbalanced as the Battle Armour is blatantly the best class to use. Still a brilliant game though, it was a shame to see SOOO many people whinge and moan about IA at GameFAQ'S where the developers actually took the time to join the forum and answer questions/see what people thought of it. They got teared a new one by some people, but I reckon they done a bloody good job personally, I think I'd rather play this than Gears of War so they must of done something right.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:04 pm

C=Style wrote:Also the game is a bit unbalanced as the Battle Armour is blatantly the best class to use.
What I've found is that it's the best class until you get to the Mission 3 levels on Inferno difficulty, at which point its lack of speed and the slow reloading on the guns can really hamper it. This is especially true if you're in an online inferno game. The firepower is good but you do get swamped and the Shield Blast isn't strong enough to get you out the sh1t at that level.
I'm finding the Trooper is a lot better because it moves like greased lightning and can dodge right through enemy clusters towards health packs. The dodge can also throw Ticks off. Which I'm finding very handy in inferno games where the Spider Bombers take an infeasible amount of caning before you're rid of them.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:01 pm

really enjoying this in co-op...not played an EDF game before so am not marking it down in comprison to the other games.

my only real gripes are that there are not enough types of enemies and I cant seem to connect to a survival game unless i am invited into a private one!

just come back from holiday so will be grinding my tier 6 trooper up all day tomorrow :D