Video games turned into movie

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Video games turned into movie

Post by thl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:42 am

So many classic video games had went live. It can be funny, strange, or maybe daft. It can be done with special effects, CGI or blue screen features. Despite doing so well in the gaming market, did it achieve any success at the box office?

Let's start this off. For me I thought the Street Fighter movie was so diabolical. It lacked the chemistry of the gaming environment that it doesn't look very exciting. It's perhaps too cheesy. :lol:

The characters that were mentioned was fine, but I don't know about the castings. Do they look comfortable in that role? (Should not forget Sagat wearing a suit, Dhalsim being a doctor and Guile's friend turned into Blanka.) :lol:

First I thought Dolph Lundgren would get the role of Guile because he had that resemblence which did fit okay. Instead it went to Van Damme who was so terrible (probably for crappy dialogue which can be laughable).
Biggest surprise of all is that Kylie Minogue was Cammy in that film. Although she doesn't knew any martial arts that time, she received instruction about using kicks and carrying weapons around.

The fight choreography isn't what I expected. Too slow, poor timing and dull editing. It would have been better if special effects was included. It's not as good as the movies of Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Bruce Lee.

Overall this movie, however did made me laugh. It's so diabolical!! :lol:
Last edited by thl on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:13 am

It's a fact that no video games have ever been adapted into good movies.

MonkeyPete

Post by MonkeyPete » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:48 am

If its a good Street Fighter movie you're after then go for the Manga Street Fighter 2. Beats the crap out of the live action version :!:

Anybody seen the Silent Hill movie? It looked quite good from the trailers but I couldn't bring myself to pay silly cinema prices for it.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:27 am

MonkeyPete wrote:If its a good Street Fighter movie you're after then go for the Manga Street Fighter 2. Beats the crap out of the live action version :!:

I first saw Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie in the original Japanese version. It's absolutely brilliant. A true classic. :D
Last edited by thl on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dell_Zincht

Re:

Post by Dell_Zincht » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 am

Sureshot wrote:It's a fact that no video games have ever been adapted into good movies.
Dunno like. First Resi Evil film was quite good.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:19 am

I'm sure DOA will prove to be a poor movie, looks like a charlies angels type film

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:39 am

MonkeyPete wrote:If its a good Street Fighter movie you're after then go for the Manga Street Fighter 2. Beats the crap out of the live action version :!:

Anybody seen the Silent Hill movie? It looked quite good from the trailers but I couldn't bring myself to pay silly cinema prices for it.
I really enjoyed it, it's not a "shock" horror film but more psychological.So just like the games then. The sound is very disturbing and it needs to be viewed in the dark with the volume on your surround right up.

Smurph

Re:

Post by Smurph » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:03 am

oli_lar wrote:I'm sure DOA will prove to be a poor movie, looks like a charlies angels type film
Gentlemen of the court, I put it to you that DOA will be brilliant. The evidence:

Tits.
Fighting.

The defense rests.

(PS Charlies Angels was great too, for the same reasons.)
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:05 am

Smurph wrote:
oli_lar wrote:I'm sure DOA will prove to be a poor movie, looks like a charlies angels type film
Gentlemen of the court, I put it to you that DOA will be brilliant. The evidence:

Tits.
Fighting.

The defense rests.

(PS Charlies Angels was great too, for the same reasons.)
I couldn't have put it better myself.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 am

Like others I liked the Anime Street Fighter II. I also liked the Resident Evil movies. I also liked the Doom movie - certainly more than I liked the game.

Will

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:40 am

Doom was pretty good, as is Silent Hill

Super Mario Film was fun when I was a kid, bob hoskins, dennis hopper all good.

Mortal Kombat films were as brainless as the game, could have been better with decent fatalities shown but it was better than street fighter
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

woody.cool

Re: Video games turned into movie

Post by woody.cool » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:52 am

thl wrote:So many classic video games had went live. It can be funny, strange, or maybe daft. It can be done with special effects, CGI or blue screen features. Despite doing so well in the gaming market, did it achieve any success at the box office?

Let's start this off. For me I thought the Street Fighter movie was so diabolical. It lacked the chemistry of the gaming environment that it doesn't look very exciting. It's perhaps too cheesy. :lol:

The characters that were mentioned was fine, but I don't know about the castings. Do they look comfortable in that role? (Should not forget Sagat wearing a suit, Dhalsim being a doctor and Guile's friend turned into Blanka.) :lol:

First I thought Dolph Lungren would get the role of Guile because he had that resemblence which did fit okay. Instead it went to Van Damme who was so terrible (probably for crappy dialogue which can be laughable).
Biggest surprise of all is that Kylie Mynogue was Cammy in that film. Although she doesn't knew any martial arts that time, she received instruction about using kicks and carrying weapons around.

The fight choreography isn't what I expected. Too slow, poor timing and dull editing. It would have been better if special effects was included. It's not as good as the movies of Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Bruce Lee.

Overall this movie, however did made me laugh. It's so diabolical!! :lol:

Also with the live action, some of the actins went against the Street Figher II plot - I don't know if anyone is aware but the Street Fighter games follow a story line (but not necessarily in the order of release) - something like this

Street Fighter (a.k.a. Street Fighter 1)
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 3

but Guile's friend (Charlie) turning into Blanka is not faithful to the original Capcom storyline - In the proper storyline Blanka was a child lost in a aeroplane crash (called Jimmy at the time) and was mutated into Blanka by an electrical storm (How far fetched?) and Charlie (Guile's friend) was killed by M.Bison (thrown down an elevator shaft).

Also Guile (Van Damm) is really laughable - crap dialogue and really censored accent for an American - he sounds like "The Muscles From Brussles" - his real nickname.

As MonkeyPete said - get your hands on the Manga version of Street Fighter 2 the Movie - if you can't find it, it's a bonus feature on "Hyper Street Fighter 2 Anniversary Edition" on the PS2 and XBOX.

I thought the Mortal Kombat live action movies were better than the Street Fighter movie even though they had just as bad a plot as the SF movie.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:10 am

Street Fighter's one saving grace is Kylie
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:12 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Street Fighter's one saving grace is Kylie
Oooohhhh! ..... Lovely :D

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:40 am

ZeroCipher wrote:Super Mario Film was fun when I was a kid, bob hoskins, dennis hopper all good.

Mortal Kombat films were as brainless as the game, could have been better with decent fatalities shown but it was better than street fighter
Super Mario Bros movie didn't quite live up the hype. Look at the Goombus and Koopas in the film. And most of all, Bowser appeared in a human form. That's totally ridiculous. :o

The Mortal Kombat movie did quite okay compare to Street Fighter, but overall it's still not good enough. :(