"Driving Crazy" book from Retro Booty

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Eric

"Driving Crazy" book from Retro Booty

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:40 pm

Just ordered a copy from authors website http://www.randypearson.org/ who was happily surprised to see it featured in Retro Gamer.

Atari Smeghead

Re: "Driving Crazy" book from Retro Booty

Post by Atari Smeghead » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Hello folks! I'm Randy D Pearson, the author of this bizarre little road trip, and thought I'd pop in and say hello. So, hello! :mrgreen:

First off, thanks to Darran for a wonderful review. Much appreciated! Also, thanks to Eric and others who have already gone out of their way to find my website and order a copy. Finally, thanks Eric, for starting this thread. :D

If anyone here feels like popping by http://www.RandyPearson.org for a copy, you will find some cool Driving Crazy extras such as reviews, excerpts and deleted scenes (a first in the literary world, I'm thinking) as well as an audio clip of a reading I did for a local radio station. It'll give you a 'try before you buy' sensation that I think will leave you all tingly.

Cheers,
Smeg
If you like video games and stories about silly blokes on road trips, please check out my debut novel, Driving Crazy at www.randypearson.org - there you will find excerpts, deleted scenes and reviews.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Just to add that I bought my copy of the book a while ago now and very much enjoyed reading it on my holidays this Summer.

I'd definitely recommend its purchase to other retro gamers too. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Just got my copy in the post today, will be reading it while supposed to be working throwing folks luggage around at the airport.

Atari Smeghead

Post by Atari Smeghead » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks, DCRip! I appreciate the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Eric, thanks for letting me know it arrived. I sent it Tue 8-24, so it's good to know it takes less than a week to float across the pond. Hope you get some laughs out of it!

Cheers,
Randy
If you like video games and stories about silly blokes on road trips, please check out my debut novel, Driving Crazy at www.randypearson.org - there you will find excerpts, deleted scenes and reviews.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:32 am

My copy arrived last week & I'm really looking forward to reading it. :D

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Just "completed" the book :)

Fav scene was the retro game tournament.

Atari Smeghead

Post by Atari Smeghead » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Cool! :D I'm glad you got a chance to read it. I enjoyed writing that scene, trying to decide which arcade games to include. That's the fun of writing. My favourites found a home, and even found a way to mention the Atari Jaguar a couple of times. :)

Cheers,
Randy
Last edited by Atari Smeghead on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Virtua Fighter even gets a mention :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Hadn't heard of this book before but looks like a lot of fun and will deffo order it! Just havta get a coupla bills out the way first as NZ is damn far away and costs more in post than for the book! :lol:

Jeez, imagine trying to get Crazy Climber back to NZ... :lol:

And on Crazy Climber...it's about time this game was given the credit deserved! This books a good start, but where's the 'Plug n Play' TV games machine dedicated to these two joystick games?! I'd love a Plug n Play with Crazy Climber and Robotron on it! :)

Atari Smeghead

Post by Atari Smeghead » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:52 am

kiwimike wrote:Hadn't heard of this book before but looks like a lot of fun and will deffo order it! Just havta get a coupla bills out the way first as NZ is damn far away and costs more in post than for the book! :lol:
Thanks, Mike! I appreciate that. I know what you mean about the shipping cost, but I guess one way to look at it is, the US Dollar is probably still pathetically weak, so it is a better deal for you. :mrgreen: And just so's ya know, I don't jack up the shipping cost. By the time it's all said and done (including the PayPal fees) I get to keep exactly $11.99 USD per book, a buck less than list price.
kiwimike wrote: Jeez, imagine trying to get Crazy Climber back to NZ... :lol:

And on Crazy Climber...it's about time this game was given the credit deserved! This books a good start, but where's the 'Plug n Play' TV games machine dedicated to these two joystick games?! I'd love a Plug n Play with Crazy Climber and Robotron on it! :)
Yup, exactly! I remember years ago when I first put my hands on a Playstation dual-analog stick controller, and I thought, "Dude, this would be a great controller for Crazy Climber!" So I researched and found at least three versions of Crazy Climber for the PS 1/2... but they are ALL Japanese only games! Gah!! :x I've even tried to finagle a modded PS 1 or 2 but have had no luck. Now I'm poor and can't afford one anyway.
Crazy Climber - Denied! :roll:

Cheers,
Randy
Last edited by Atari Smeghead on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:52 am

Gutted! Will have to make do with the MAME one, the keyboard isn't ideal but it is the only way to have a go on Crazy Climber :)

And yes, your dollar has had a hiding which is great news for me! :wink:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Another old topic I bumped for the hell of it, as I totally forgot about this book! Time to have a look again methinks :)

Atari Smeghead

Post by Atari Smeghead » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks for the BUMP! :)

I've still got a copy reserved and waiting for you, so you just say the word. :D

So far, thanks in part to Retro Gamer, I've sold copies of Driving Crazy to people in 8 countries. Sold one to a fellow in Spain not too long ago, and several to Australia, but none yet to NZ. Here's to hopin'!

Cheers,
Randy

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 am

I read this book last year, very good read. Recommended to all 8)