THQ has no sympathy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

THQ has no sympathy

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:20 am

for us
and i have no sympathy for THQ

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?4 ... 7e63d4c55c&

verdammt !

copy and paste

HQ: Pre-owned gamers cheat us, we have no sympathy for them
by
Zeus

* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* Visit Homepage
* View Articles

Published on 08-24-2010 08:37 AM
0 Comments Comments
Bookmark and Share
A creative director at THQ has delivered a rather blunt view on the pre-owned games market. He indicated that pre-owned gamers essentially 'cheat' THQ'. Prior to this, he claimed that THQ doesn't care if used gamers are upset because buyers of new games 'get everything' as far as content is concerned.

Here is what he had to say to CVG, "I don't think we really care whether used game buyers are upset because new game buyers get everything. So if used game buyers are upset they don't get the online feature set I don't really have much sympathy for them".

its on the front page of maxconsole http://www.maxconsole.net
Last edited by snowkatt on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Antiriad2097

Re: THQ has no sympathy

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 am

Why? Can't access that link to find out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:11 am

I didnt actually think anyone went to Maxxcuntsole anymore!
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:13 am

:? Are`nt they also hoping Cloud Gaming systems kill off consoles ASAP?.Sure i heard murmurings along this line.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:11 am

Romulous wrote:I didnt actually think anyone went to Maxxcuntsole anymore!
:lol:

merman

Post by merman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:23 am

He's right. You go into a secondhand shop, the money goes to the shop, not the developer or publisher of the game.

Now I would argue that secondhand sales are not disastrous for the games industry as much of the money remains in the game shop and so in the long term benefits the industry (by continuing the presence of games shops on the High Street, or going back into the till towards the purchase of a new game). And while it may be a bitter pill to swallow, but paying for an "online pass" will guarantee better online play as servers are maintained for longer.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:22 am

If the game is in a secondhand shop then someone probably paid the full retail price of the game. So THQ should have received their money for the initial purchase and they need to shut the f@#k up. They're not entitled to getting paid for it a second time - that's ridiculous.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:29 am

But many people ONLY buy second hand. So for 2 sales of a game that THQ funded they only get 1 fee. Surely that is wrong?

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:42 am

We can sell almost anything else - books, CDs, DVDs, clothes and various kinds of bric-a-brac such as ornaments, musical instruments and so on, once we've finished using it, and indeed buy said articles second-hand that someone else has finished using, without there being this moral argument that I should only be buying new.

What makes computer games an exception?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:49 am

I only buy second-hand cars(*).

What I fail to grasp is why the software companies feel they have an entitlement to a cut in second sales or an entitlement
to prevent this in form that no other retail good or manufacturer of such good has. None of them have ever explained this. Ever. I'm sure Vauxhall and David Payne Homes (to pick two examples of goods for which the second-hand market is strong) would love something similar but we don't hear them whinging. And whinging is what it is. We the customer (I hate the word consumer, it's an insidious attempt to rebrand the relationship between supplier and purchaser) owe them nothing and they need to reminded of it.

They'd do better concentrating on not saturating the market with "me too" products causing their games to have a very short shelf-life at full RRP and not pricing themselves too high as to allow for second-hand games to not only undercut their new stuff but still return a profit for the retailer.

Also how many second-hand games really are second-hand? We all know that a lot of games marked as second-hand aren't, it's just easier to get shoppers to see "sale" goods in the second-hand section than it is in the full price section. HMW were doing this, I bought a "second-hand" copy of Forza 3 last week from Gamestation in Brum that clearly had never been opened and still with the free DLC scratchcard unused.

* - I did buy a new Ford Puma once. Never again.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:50 am

I wouldn't mind but THQ produce almost the definitive list of mediocre cash-in games that scream: "Buy me second hand!"

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:01 am

But many people ONLY buy second hand. So for 2 sales of a game that THQ funded they only get 1 fee. Surely that is wrong?
I think the industry is attempting to imply that there's some correlation between second-hand purchasing and piracy, which is insane. Second-hand purchasing is entirely legal. That's the main point.

And, y'know, games still cost far too much. If a straight-to-DVD movie costs $10,000,000 to make - plus promotion, duplicating and shipping - and sells for about £10-15, why does a video game that costs $10,000,000 to make - plus promotion, duplicating and shipping - sell for up to £45? Yeah, I know that the consle manufacturers ask for a cut but does that cut explain the £30+ difference in cost?

Why don't movie studios, or book publishers, or car manufacturers complain so bitterly about the second-hand market? Because they charge a reasonable amount for their products in the first place, so a lot of people are happy to buy them new. Videogame publishers want to have their cake and eat it, by charging insane sums for their products and cutting off any avenues for people who can't pay those prices. They're the entertainment equivalent of Nike - driving huge demand for products the prices of which are so utterly divorced from reality that parents feel trapped into spending money they simply don't have.

I haven't pirated a game for fifteen years, but when I hear some of these industry bods spouting this kind of hateful drivel then I'm tempted by the view that piracy is actually the correct moral position in the face of such rampant greed. One day, hopefully, we'll return to a situation where independent devs who are happy to sell their games for a reasonable price dominate the industry in the way that they did in the days of the Speccy. The sooner companies like THQ go to the wall the better.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:12 am

Coopdevil wrote:They'd do better concentrating on not saturating the market with "me too" products causing their games to have a very short shelf-life at full RRP and not pricing themselves too high as to allow for second-hand games to not only undercut their new stuff but still return a profit for the retailer.
Nintendo have kind of worked this out. Their games have an incredibly long shelf-life (they're still running TV ads for NSMB Wii, which is a year old), which keeps second-hand prices high and in turn encourages new purchases (I'm not going to pay £37 for a tatty second hand copy when it's £40 new).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:49 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:We can sell almost anything else - books, CDs, DVDs, clothes and various kinds of bric-a-brac such as ornaments, musical instruments and so on, once we've finished using it, and indeed buy said articles second-hand that someone else has finished using, without there being this moral argument that I should only be buying new. What makes computer games an exception?
Nothing, but what makes everyone so adamant that it's somehow their right to sell on things they've bought? Why does a software company not have the right to get more out of its investment?

Ultimately, vote with your pockets, although I suspect—as with the inability to 'sell on' digital downloads—most customers simply don't care.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Post by merman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:56 am

And bear in mind that the companies are making signifcant investment in hardware to provide online play. Gamers complain that the servers are switched off too soon - but if there was revenue coming in, the games companies would not have to switch them off.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube