Shank XBLA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheNewMonkey

Shank XBLA

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Nice looking 2D scrolling shooter/beat'em up

Been watching this one for a while, looks quite nice & its finally released tomorrow :D

Whos getting it?

Trailer here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIF7FabU ... ure=search
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

ToxieDogg

Re: Shank XBLA

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Looks nice :) I'll give the trial game for that a go methinks.

Looks like it's by the same developer as The Dishwasher, is it?

Scott Pilgrim vs The World will finally be on XBLA tommorow too, I'd recommend that to anyone as well, just completed the PSN version.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 am

That does look good and.. .. .. I'm working from home today 8) I'll check out Scott too. Cheers guys.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:22 am

I am suitably intrigued! Will check it out tonight.

Cheers for the heads-up.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 pm

ToxieDogg wrote: Scott Pilgrim vs The World will finally be on XBLA tommorow too, I'd recommend that to anyone as well, just completed the PSN version.
I'd counter that by saying Scott Pilgrim is shyte, it has badly placed weapons and far too many of them. Nearly every time you go to attack, you'll pick up a snowball or something, and it has one of the longest recovery times from being hit in any fighting game. Plus, it looks awful.

Personal opinion, of course. Try before you buy.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:07 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Looks nice :) I'll give the trial game for that a go methinks.

Looks like it's by the same developer as The Dishwasher, is it?.
Im not sure if its the same devs as dishwasher
anyway i played throught the demo a couple of times but im in 2 minds weather to buy it or not, it seems like a bit of a button masher there doesnt seem to be much skill involved but that could just be the first level? has anyone else tried it yet?
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Smurph wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote: Scott Pilgrim vs The World will finally be on XBLA tommorow too, I'd recommend that to anyone as well, just completed the PSN version.
I'd counter that by saying Scott Pilgrim is shyte, it has badly placed weapons and far too many of them. Nearly every time you go to attack, you'll pick up a snowball or something, and it has one of the longest recovery times from being hit in any fighting game. Plus, it looks awful.

Personal opinion, of course. Try before you buy.
Definitely. :?

I'll counter that by saying you're just crap at it :wink: :wink: :wink: and it gets more accessible when you power the characters up a bit (which really doesn't take long), looks fab, unless you really hate old games, and has maybe some of the best music ever. If it had online co-op, it'd be my choice for download game of the year.

Still have yet to try Shank, haven't been on Live this evening yet.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:50 pm

I wasn't amazingly struck on Scott Pilgrim either, I LOVE the music and the look of it but I just found it tedious hitting the enemies over and over that seem to take too much punishment, it's fiddly to run and pick up coins and very slow walking. I can imagine it gets better with extra moves that are more powerful, but just that first stage dragged on way too much for me.

Have to say though, you can just tell it's a game that shines in multiplayer, so I would imagine it's loads of fun there, shame no online co-op though.

I tried the Shank demo, looks awesome! I didn't like The Dishwaher, this seems a bit better but I can see it getting old very quick.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:57 am

I enjoyed botm the SPvsTW and Shank trials.

I am annoyed that Shank is 1.9gb , i'm runing out of HDD room and the game could easily do without those longe animated cutscenes.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:16 am

Looks nasty, hate that "Web-comic" look - it's just ugly. I blame Genndy Tartakovsky.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 am

imaxeroker85 wrote:I am annoyed that Shank is 1.9gb , i'm runing out of HDD room and the game could easily do without those longe animated cutscenes.
Bugger. That's put the blocker on me getting it for now then. I've still only got a 20gb HDD myself, already had to delete stuff to make room for Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light last week (which is around the 2gb mark) and as I'm really enjoying that, it'll be staying on my HDD for a bit, Ah well. :(

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Shank & Pilgram are modern games in Retro clothing, they seem to be good at first then you discover there is no gameplay.

GFX
Shank has that Cel-Shaded Flash game style that developers think is retro(it just feels flat & bland), Pilgram tries to emulate the Nes with large pixels but constantly throughs up gfx on same screen but in different resolutions from each other.

SFX / Music
Shanks sfx & music is ok while Pilgrams music is a terrible mess by trying to copy old school retro music that ends up being annoying loops, its sfx is a mixture of both retro and modern samples - these styles do not work together.

Gameplay
Both games have no real gameplay after a few minutes, both have too many moves/buttons to care about and end up being random button bashers leaving you bored after said few minutes.

I don`t think retro gamers will ever enjoy these modern-retro games, however do they have their own fanbase?

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:33 pm

I liked SP way more than Shank. Shank just felt generic and the cutscenes just felt cheap. SP had great music, solid gameplay, tight control.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 am

Shank is my favourite XBLA title of the year so far ( looking at Comic Jumper as a contender). Had alot of fun with my Girflriend playing the Co-Op. It is a button masher, but the combos that you can pull off with mashing are insanely gruesom and awesome.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:01 am

I love both Shank & Scott Pilgrim. I just need to get more points to download both of them. The only bad thing, like SP, is that it's a bit expensive for my taste... and I don't think it'll be on the Deal of the Week offer anytime soon, since it's a new release...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com