Misheard Speech Samples

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Roo

Misheard Speech Samples

Post by Roo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 am

N64 Magazine used to rip the utter arse out of many of the speech samples found in the first wave of N64 games. I remember some absolute (misheard) stoaters, like "Icky is a Poo" from the Japanese version of Mario Kart 64 and "You're just trying to undress me" from Blast Corps - always good for a laugh when you're a nine year old in 1997.

I'll never, ever understand whats being said in that 1080 Snowboarding theme though. Always sounded like it was saying "HALIBUT!...COOLIN' IT!...HALIBUT!...DON'T CLOSE YOUR FLIES!" - hear for yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ12rCD- ... re=related

Do you have any favourite misheard speech samples - N64 or not - that you'd like to share with the forum?

Overheat

Re: Misheard Speech Samples

Post by Overheat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:10 am

I always remember Ryu's uppercut on the Amiga and Mega Drive versions of Street Fighter II and really did think he was asking "Are you Ken?"
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:13 am

Overheat wrote:I always remember Ryu's uppercut on the Amiga and Mega Drive versions of Street Fighter II and really did think he was asking "Are you Ken?"
Never mind that, when I first saw Street Fighter 2 in the arcade and heard the 'Hadoken!' sample for a fireball, I (honestly) thought Ryu was saying 'Toolkit!' :lol: Sagat's 'Tiger Uppercut' always sounds a bit like 'Cyber Rubber Duck!' to me as well, even though I knew what he was saying there.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:18 am

Roo wrote:I'll never, ever understand whats being said in that 1080 Snowboarding theme though
:shock: That's harder to understand than the speech on the Robotic Liberation Vic-20 demo!

There was a robot on Body Blows Galactic tha used to shout something like "Admiral Kooltec", and a girl on it that used to shout something like "Pinger Pat!" :? :lol:
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:28 am

Overheat wrote:I always remember Ryu's uppercut on the Amiga and Mega Drive versions of Street Fighter II and really did think he was asking "Are you Ken?"
Hehe - it seems you are not the only one

http://storage.canalblog.com/56/57/336868/31050271.gif

I hear the hurricane kick shout as "Hot Chips and Burgers"

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:57 am

A lad at school was convinced that Guile on Street Fighter shouted "Sonic Doom". Even though no-one agreed with him and it even stated in his manual it was Sonic Boom he always disagreed.

He said because the staff who made the game were fans of popular 90s wrestlers: "The Legend Of Doom". And yes, he argued about that too!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:55 am

SNES Street Fighter 2 - Spinning-bird-kick became Spinning-pizza-kick to me and my friend Mike's brain......

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:15 pm

C64 Beach Head II - My brother and I thought the allies screamed "me d!ck" and not "medic" when shot by the Dictator's canon on level one of the game.

On hearing this again though I'm not so sure! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efXtNbUONig @ 2:03 mins.

It was funny at the time .. .. .. all those years ago!

NonShinyGoose

Post by NonShinyGoose » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm

I always assumed that 1080's intro track was from a Japanese rock band!

Also on N64: on Wave Race, the announcer would say "No misses...beautiful!" which sounded like "Your misses is beautiful!"

I also remember that in one of the Argos catalogs there was a Pikachu toy that had a speech bubble above it saying "Is that you?" which the catalog designers have presumably wrote. Clearly they had misheard it say "Pikachu!"
Gaming Gibberish - http://www.gamesasylum.com
Follow us on TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gamesasylum

360 Gamer Tag: NonShinyGoose

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:38 pm

One game I always take the mick out of is Disposable Hero on the Amiga. The voice at the start of each level is supposed to say "All systems activated", yet it sounds like he's saying "Oil evacuated"! :lol:

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:36 am

I think SF2 maybe be about the worst. When Ryu did the spin kick on the SNES version it was like Eclectic Calooctic!

The best though was Impossible Mission for the Commodore 64. Destroy Him! My Robots... and Another visitor, stay awhile, staaaay forever! are classic

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Starwing Snes - up untill recently when the fisrt level starts i thought it said " E A fighters... prepare for launch", only messing around with an emulator sound i heard it as "incomming enemy fighters... prepare for launch".

Street fighter EX arcade - Sounds like Ken says "i like crispy burgers" when doing a whirlwing kick and Chun Li says "you said it" when she does the air throw move".

ninjabearhug

Post by ninjabearhug » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:58 pm

I wa splaying Ico years ago and the missus was walking past as I was summoning the girl thing. The missus thought it sounded like Ico was shouting 'Bert' so to this day that girl is called Bert in my house :). Give it a replay, it really does sound like Bert lol.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Somewhere in the first few levels of streets of rage 2 on the megadrive you find yourself on a pirate ship and a pair of ninja with fat knives chase you about, they have a special attack during which they move fast and seem to slide across the floor at you and they cry out "Chris Akabusi" during this move, i kid you not.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:22 pm

I've said this before somewhere, but my mate thinking Ken and Ryu shouted "CHIPS AND BURGERS!" then doing their Hurricane Kicks! :lol:

As for me? The infinitely crackly "PreZZpare toZZZ LaZZZunZZch!!!" from venerable ZX Spectrum game Death Star Interceptor!
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.