PS3 finally hacked (no..really this time)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: PS3 finally hacked (no..really this time)

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:37 am

:? With the PS3 hack, was`nt it case of Sony software just being cloned? I.E something was copied then leaked out, from A Sony service centre or something? same with the tools etc leaked onto the net.No-one has sat down and worked out the in`s and outs of the system and come up with thier own code as such.(May be SO wrong here, but this was impression i got-The Dongle thing just booted PS3 into an in built mode for service engineers), So if true, not sure why there`s such a fanfare about PS3 finally being hacked.Surely it should be:We`ve finally stolen what Sony have been using for years and now want to fleece you for our benifit? (Doubt Homebrew is reason they think it will sell to joe public).

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 am

From what i have read so far they have only managed to bypass certain aspects of the system security.

If anyone is interested in emulation then don't expect it for a long time, especially if it's the higher end stuff like Dreamcast etc.

Until they have access to the RSX or whatever it's called then it only going to be low end stuff which has already been demonstrated, to an extent!

Also, any emulator devs worth thier salt would not touch emulation on it unless they owned a SDK, one of the reasons why MAME was never oficially ported to the XBOX.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:46 am

That was pretty much what i`d heard-'They' had just cloned the software that Sony use to boot console into Debug/Dev.mode or what ever it is, which whilst bypassing some of the security measures, A-Does not allow full unrestricted access to the system and B-Is`nt doing anything machine was`nt designed to do.(As it`s an in built measure designed for service engineers).It`s not like the hackers have reverse engineered the system or Anything.So far from being clever, they are no better than anyone who`d steal your keys and rob your house.Anything creative going to come from it? (Homebrew), NO.Just more firmware updates, Users found with it getting banned etc.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:15 am

I was very annoyed with people like this a few months ago when the first talk of it being hacked was heard. Shortly afterwards we lost functionality from the PS3 because of it. Now they are doing it again, and we'll get more firmware updates.

Thanks a lot guys! :evil:
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:51 am

necronom wrote:I was very annoyed with people like this a few months ago when the first talk of it being hacked was heard. Shortly afterwards we lost functionality from the PS3 because of it. Now they are doing it again, and we'll get more firmware updates.

Thanks a lot guys! :evil:
It was the first time i had ever installed Linux [Ubuntu] on anything so it was a bit of a learning curve but i was enjoying it.

Invariably this is going to happen to any console regardless of protection, the PS3 is miles away from being broken, even the Bluray drive which apparently has been running on a PC is still only a small step in the grand scheme of things.

What we will have next is an influx of people who purchase the product, get banned from PSN, or when a patch is released to combat it complain about it as if they have been hard done by.

I did my fair share of piracy in my youth, but i never really played many of the games that i had, at least not for more than a couple of hours, now that i am considerably older, and hopefully a bit wiser i see the error of my old ways.

I can truly put my hand on heart and say that i have enjoyed every purchase, well, except Beowulf, that i have made on any of my next gen consoles, and im not about to change that.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Yeah I agree, I've kinda learned my lesson pirating games. It's just greed and you never enjoy them as much had you bought them.

I was told on another forum that being able to form PKG files means we shall see some good homebrew coming soon, some people seem to be under the impression that full access to the PS3 is possible using the SDK which I'm not sure if coders have access to or not. I'm not really sure what the hell is going on tbh lol

Time will tell. Think we have some downtime on Monday, guess it's Sony's patch and FW update

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Nope.Believe ONLY PSN STORE is down on monday-Planned maintance.Psn as far as gaming should be ok. (down from 08:00 to 21:00-No store or account access possible).

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:10 am

C=Style wrote:Yeah I agree, I've kinda learned my lesson pirating games. It's just greed and you never enjoy them as much had you bought them.
This. Nothing jades you to playing video games more than having 2,500 free games.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:02 am

will2097 wrote:
C=Style wrote:Yeah I agree, I've kinda learned my lesson pirating games. It's just greed and you never enjoy them as much had you bought them.
This. Nothing jades you to playing video games more than having 2,500 free games.

It's the hidden cost of "Free."

People who used to pirate MP3s would usually have thousands upon thousands of songs. Not because they genuinely listened to them, but because they could get thousands upon thousands of songs. Same with games. And Films. And TV Shows.

So we became a race of pickers at a giant banquet. We hoarded all the food but only picked a bit here; a bit there. Never satisfied. Never full. We equated our hunger pains with "not having enough to choose from" and so acquired even more free product. But it never filled us, because we just "got" it. We never "ate" it.

To carry it to its logical end we could conclude that nothing tastes better than something we've had to spend lots of money (or effort) on, and so by its nature would be in very limited quantity. It's known as "Vested Interest." If this is all I have then I'm determined to make the most of it.

It's why we all had 5,000 games in our MAME collection but we only ever played a handful. It's not a question of free time but the very nature of free itself.

:?:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:15 am

Sony just won a tempory injunction on Sale and distribution of all Mod chips for PS3.They have until August 31st to convince courts to make it a permenant ruling.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:24 am

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:26 am

It's very strange thing when you break down the psychology of it all. I look at it as natures way of dealing with greed. Just because you have more doesn't mean that it's parallel to enjoyment levels, in fact it really is the opposite. I ruined myself last gen with pirating hundreds of Xbox/PS2/DC games like a total sad case, I hardly played any of them properly, or at least very few. The games I enjoyed the most were bought ones when I first got the consoles, so what does that tell you!

To a sense pirating is absolutely pointless especially with how games are these days, they require time and effort to get into and offer hours of enjoyment. Games are WORTH the money.

It's dead right what the vulture said that just get caught into this trap of downloading and archiving these games, but it's all for nothing. As Will says having 1000 games sitting there staring at you is about the biggest non motivator I can think of concerning gaming.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:29 am

Coopdevil wrote:That's Australia only BTW - http://www.reghardware.com/2010/08/27/s ... _chip_ban/

Plus there's already clones out there. Sony haven't a chance at stopping it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:44 am

Freestyler wrote:
will2097 wrote:

It's the hidden cost of "Free."

People who used to pirate MP3s would usually have thousands upon thousands of songs. Not because they genuinely listened to them, but because they could get thousands upon thousands of songs. Same with games. And Films. And TV Shows.

So we became a race of pickers at a giant banquet. We hoarded all the food but only picked a bit here; a bit there. Never satisfied. Never full. We equated our hunger pains with "not having enough to choose from" and so acquired even more free product. But it never filled us, because we just "got" it. We never "ate" it.

To carry it to its logical end we could conclude that nothing tastes better than something we've had to spend lots of money (or effort) on, and so by its nature would be in very limited quantity. It's known as "Vested Interest." If this is all I have then I'm determined to make the most of it.

It's why we all had 5,000 games in our MAME collection but we only ever played a handful. It's not a question of free time but the very nature of free itself.

:?:
How very well put!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Not wishing to knock my work mates, but for all this:Downloaded this last night/Bought this, had it cracked, sold other on ebay, gonna down load shedloads when i get home...talk, i`ve yet to see any real sense of honest enjoyment.Games are never played to anything near completion, level or so, then discarded, onto the next thing.All seems so...empty, so lifeless to me.Maybe i`m get bit long in the tooth, but i`m tending to stick with a game till i either complete it, or know i will be coming back to it.Often wondered if they missed out as a child (harsh, but would be an answer), there just seems this urge, this craving to steal basically, as much as they can, boast about the numbers, but...it`s a painted smile in honesty.No fun, just a driven urge.At what point do they say, that`s it, No more!......?