PS3 finally hacked (no..really this time)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

PS3 finally hacked (no..really this time)

Post by C=Style » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:26 am

Seems the PS3 has finally been fully hacked enabling the running of backups direct from HDD. A combination of software coupled with a USB adaptor allows you to trick the PS3 OS into thinking it has an actual disk inserted, while using the original game is used for copy protection checks. This is kinda similar to the Wii's WODE (from the same supplier; OzModChips) except a lot less hassle.

I'm very surprised at this news and how far it come in a short time.

Article here

Video here

Although it's not good news for Sony, imagine the homebrew possibilities. PS3 could become the best home system for emulation with all that power under the bonnet! woooo

speedlolita

Re: PS3 finally hacked (no..really this time)

Post by speedlolita » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:36 am

It'll be patched in no time.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:31 am

I have been trying to get to the website all day but it keeps timing out.

It sounds like a good idea especially if bluray games can be installed to hard drive similar to the 360, ultimately helping to extend the life of the drive itself, more importantly making games load faster - Metal gear anyone!

@speedlolita - anything that get patched can be circumvented, look at the wii for example!
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 am

If sony continue their current patching methods, expect the PS3 128kb hard drive version with no USB ports :)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 am

Romulous wrote:@speedlolita - anything that get patched can be circumvented, look at the wii for example!
I guess so, but security is far more tight on the PS3. I guess it depends how the exploit works.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:46 am

:wink: Expecting a firmware update to overcome this anyday now.Cannot play likes of GTA:Chinatown or MGS:Peacewalker on my CFW PSP, so bet Sony got something waiting in the wings.Plus, If you jail break the system, does it not leave it open to some sort of virus attack/Risk? (Just curious, as i`ve NO bloody idea how this stuff works)

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 am

thevulture wrote::wink: Expecting a firmware update to overcome this anyday now.Cannot play likes of GTA:Chinatown or MGS:Peacewalker on my CFW PSP, so bet Sony got something waiting in the wings.Plus, If you jail break the system, does it not leave it open to some sort of virus attack/Risk? (Just curious, as i`ve NO bloody idea how this stuff works)
Peacewalker works fine here.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Romulous wrote:
thevulture wrote::wink: Expecting a firmware update to overcome this anyday now.Cannot play likes of GTA:Chinatown or MGS:Peacewalker on my CFW PSP, so bet Sony got something waiting in the wings.Plus, If you jail break the system, does it not leave it open to some sort of virus attack/Risk? (Just curious, as i`ve NO bloody idea how this stuff works)
Peacewalker works fine here.
Zetr0 did mine, ohh months ago, so guess it`s case of firmware i`m using.Back on subject a bit-Hacker friend of mine said 'they`d cracked the 360 Slim earlier, now the PS3, got adverts on notice board at work for JAILBREAK iPHONE ONLY £10 see...........So Sony seemed to have held out the longest.Any 'Offical' word or response from Sony? Or given my exp. when PS3 had a fault, are they still banging the NOT POSSIBLE drum?.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm one of those people who like paying for modern games with cash. Y'know, helping the games industry and stuff.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:55 pm

There's going to be more news on this later today, but so far what some people have noticed is that the PS3 in the video appears to be in debug mode. Now some people (the one's in denial) are saying it's a fake, but OzModChips are a respectable and legit company and it would do nothing but harm their reputation pulling off a hoax like this.

So what people are now thinking is that this is a re-run of PSP all over again. Sony use special USB sticks to put the PS3 into debug mode, and it's entirely possible one of these sticks was accidentally left in a PS3 shipped out to a customer (and one who knew what it was), either that or an inside job. From what I know that is exactly how the PSP got hacked, and the stick that was leaked led to the design of the pandora battery. The PSP really should have been a very secure system just like PS3. If this is true, it's gonna be hard to patch this as there will just be workarounds.

BTW, GTA CW and MGS PW both work on my PSP no problems.

It's not just about pirating games though (admittedly for many it will be), but the enhancements it brings like emulators, the ability to run legal games direct from the HDD etc. Guess we'll know more soon.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:13 pm

:? Thought the PSP hack came about due to an issue with GTA:LCS save game file, which by-passed the PSP Firmware?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:17 pm

And for the record:Despite having CFW on my PSP, i STILL buy original games.Just use the CFW for EMULATION. Both MGS:P.W and GTA:C.T refuse to work on my olde CFW. I will continue to buy Original software for my PS3, even if this does turn out to be true.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:41 pm

I would imagine the battle of sony vs the hackers will rage for eternity.....

In the meantime I will continue using my ps3 to play games that I have bought pre owned or cheap and that will save me a whole heap of time fannying on with files and usb sticks etc.

Emulators ?? - jesus how many machines do you need to run emulators?

Homebrew? ok Home brew Ho me br ew....yeah homebrew - every one wants to play homebrew ...not pirate games...ok homebrew.....yeah homebrew......most certainly not copied games....no no its for homebrew.....

I will continue playing Resistance 2 which cost me about a fiver....

homebrew - dont make me laugh.

and no I aint a saint....I have a cart for my ds.....I copied tapes in the 80s and discs in the 90s.....

but please god how many times do we hear the justification of `homebrew capabilities`

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:42 pm

thevulture wrote::? Thought the PSP hack came about due to an issue with GTA:LCS save game file, which by-passed the PSP Firmware?
Originally yes, there was a fault in the GTA save that caused an overflow if you loaded a special save game that triggered it. That then allowed other things to be loaded. It went from there to full custom firmware flashing.

What C=Style is referring to is a later hack that removed much of the pain from the process. Earlier hacks risked bricking and were fiddly to launch your games from memory stick, needing loaders etc. Once Pandora was discovered, it became very hard to totally brick your PSP and much easier to install CFW. With the correct files to hand, a memory stick and a Pandora battery, flashing a PSP is now a couple of minutes stress free work.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 pm

:? Having checked out the vid, have to say kinda siding with the skeptics (No idea IF it IS a debug unit chap is using, But...) couple of points:1)Notice camera pans in on TV at points, that combined with flashing square in top corner, COULD mean he has 2 PS3`s set up. 2) How come he NEVER demo`s it with the Uncharted 2 disc which he points out he has? Are the games he`s got on his HDD ALL avaiable to download off PSN? 3)IF games have been copied onto HDD from Disc, would they not 'show' as any game downloaded off PSN? or is the trick here in fooling PS3 into thinking disc IS in? (Notice game he selects has disc icon), IF that`s the case, then how does the PS3 'know' to pull it off the HDD IF it thinks it should be looking at the drive? All very confusing, Got far more questions than answers. PS3 been 'Hacked' so many times now, or so it`s been claimed.Hard to know who/what is the truth.