Best/Worst game cases

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dennoman

Re: Best/Worst game cases

Post by Dennoman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:55 am

I think Big Box PSX games take the cake by the way, all the brittleness of a PSX case combined with the clumsy oversizedness of a Saturn case.

Or am I just being a whiny w*nker and are they actually identical?

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:16 am

I like PS3 cases myself. Worst is Dreamcast , im on pins opening those in case they shatter in my hands.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:17 pm

best :

wel i like the megadrive cases sturdy plastic and they are mostly still around unlike the snes boxes
the ps 1 cases aren that bad at least they dont shatter if you just breath in their general direction like the dreamcast cases do
the ps 2\ xbox\xbox 360\wii cases are just dvd boxes and thats good enough
the Ds boxes are quite nice to despite the fact they are at least sixteen times bigger then the actual game actually the cases are bigger then my closed DS lite

the plastic saturn boxes a huge improvement over those pieces of garbage sega of europe foisted on us first they ook like an early version of the dvd boxes

worst : the saturn cases especially the glued to plastic halves carboard front with a useless spindle
great clustery balls of censored

the dreamcast boxes they look very nice but are so fragile i usually just transfer all my dc games to a normal jewel case

the american saturn cases big brittle and twice as ugly
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Space_turnip wrote:Old school big box PC games everytime. Felt like you were buying a lot more than you often were.
Spot on. Nothing beat big box PC games, especially since most of them came packed with loads of extra 'stuff'.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Skull Commander wrote: Worst- A few contenders, with PS1 Pal cases and Dreamcast Pal cases both very breakable, but the "winner" has to be Saturn Pal cases. Crappy in every sense and ugly as hell. Your lucky if they even close properly half the time. Awful.
Virtually none of mine hold the discs properly, the cover is falling off my otherwise mint Panzer Dragoon and my copy of Nightwarriors won't even close because the manual is so bloody huge.

I know it was unnecessary but I much preferred Playstation games when the came in the fat 3/4 CD-sized cases near launch. Much more durable.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:59 pm

Best - My fave cases are the SNK Neo Geo AES clam shell (not the original soft plastic cases) & also the SNK Neo Geo Pocket clam-shell.

Although I like anything that's made of the tough, slightly flexible plastic that accepts a paper insert, so MS, MD, Saturn (the ones that took a paper insert sleeve), GC, Wii, DS, PS2, PS3, PSP, Xbox, 360 etc

Worst - A toss up between pal Sega Dreamcast and pal Sega Saturn cases (the cardboard and plastic ones) I think both are very poor. You only need to look at a DC case the wrong way and the hinges break but its saving grace is that you can at least swap the inserts to a new case. On the other hand the Saturn cases are marginally sturdier, but after all these years the glue on a lot of the Saturn cases has gone brittle and when you open a case you end up pulling the cardboard away from the plastic. The cardboard part also goes tatty and all creased down the spine and they never seem to close properly and they harly ever hold the discs properly. Also they are slightly too tall to fit on my self properly :lol: so IMO the pal Saturn case is the worst by a country mile!

Although, brittle plastic cases are too fragile and they scratch easily, I have a hard wood floor and have broken tons of them by dropping them, knocking them of the arm of the sofa etc, but the flexible plastic ones never break they just bounce. Cardboard was never a good idea, so pre GC Nintendo and Atari boxes are the main offenders, but I guess collectors love finding mint cardboard boxes.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Best: Dreamcast. Look great on the shelf and the extra space for more discs and manuals means they usually stay in decent condition.

Worst: Dreamcast. Because they're made of spit or something, they just seem to evaporate.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Oh, where do I begin, eh?
Best are definitely Mega Drive cases. Robust as anything.

Worst (how long have you got): same as everyone else has said: Dreamcast (flimsy and sh1t), PS1 (crack really easily), Saturn (WTF were they thinking? Crap for holding cd's and they break easily), N64, NES, SNES, GB, 32X, Game Gear (all the same problems: cardboard cases that get squashed).

Why couldn't they all just go for vacuformed plastic?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:50 pm

My favorite cases are the old school Big boxed PC, Amiga, Atari etc....awesome artwork and that smell the have.... :wink: , the NGPC cases are very Sexy also!

Hate, Lynx cases!

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:51 pm

I too really like the look of PS3 cases, but they do have the tendency to trap and bend the manual, overall I like the PSP cases the best, really a nice size and shape.

The original Saturn boxes as mentioned by others here, are also simply dreadful, most of mine refuse to shut now, especially as pointed out, Nightstalkers, I remember when I bought it from HMV, the puzzled look on the assistants face as he tried to force it shut with that stupid great manual stuck in it, by the time I got it home it had actually bent the disk on one side, the later plastic cases went too far the other way Sonic Jam was stupidly hard to open!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:00 pm

My personal faves are also the PSP and I love the look of all my white wii games with the stupid red outsider that is NSMB...... :evil:

Obviously the dc has the crappiest plasticine strength cases, but another vote for crappy goes to Turbografx cases....I really hate the crap clip that holds the hucard....why didnt the come in a nice minidisc style box???

I have all my hu cards in `collector card` style plastic covers and keep them in a small box....

Good job its a great console though

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:16 am

I love the cardboard cases for Gameboy, SNES and N64 games, bright and colourful and easy to look after providing you're careful. The best ones would have to be a toss up between the Gamecube and PSP cases, both are durable and fit for purpose. The Gamecube cases have a satisfying 'click' when you replace the disc and also the handy memory card holder, so I'm going to say Gamecube cases FTW.

I have to agree that Dreamcast and PSone cases are the least durable, but if you can obtain and maintain a pristine Dreamcast case they do look rather sweet. The PSone cases aren't anything special so I'll have to say they're the worst, no pleasing aesthetic and easily busted. I sort of remember the Saturn cases being tricky to open and cheap and nasty too.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

SqueakyG

Post by SqueakyG » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:58 am

My PS1 games consisted of mostly cracked cases with broken hinges. Very shoddy.

Any cardboard cases didn't matter, I didn't leave cartridges in them. The boxes just went out of the way somewhere.

Amiga boxes could be very pretty, but again, I just had to put them somewhere out of the way, so the fact that they were huge and had variable sizes made them annoying.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:44 am

Euroboxes (PC/Amiga/ST) > NES > SNES > .... > PS2 > PS1 > DC > V.Smile

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:55 am

Best:
PC Engine cases.
Great Artwork, easy to store (cd case size) and a nice mixture of specific to the system feature (the grey back) and replaceable standard cd case front. Only downside is the plastic sticker around the side can sometimes get dirty / fade.

Favourite:
Big box PC boxes. Durable, well made and look brilliant. The major drawback being the need for a castle to store them all in.

Worst:
All chaep console cardboard boxes (snes / n64 etc.)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)