Best/Worst game cases

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Random Hero

Best/Worst game cases

Post by Random Hero » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Not sure if something like this has been done before on here, but thought it was worth a shot. :)

Best - Neo Geo Pocket: I love these little cases. The look awesome on the shelf, have that really satisfying clip at the side, and they're really easy to keep in good nick!

Worst - Dreamcast: This one is pretty self explanatory. I love my Dreamcast, which is why I'm going for a full PAL collection, but holy hell do they have the weakest boxes on the entire planet. You so much as breath and you've got a cracked hinge. I even went so far as buying sealed copies of Chu Chu back in the day just for the cases!

Megamixer

Re: Best/Worst game cases

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Best - any Japanese case that comes as a standard CD jewel case. So easy to replace if they get broken.

Worst - Take your pick...PS1/Dreamcast (look at them and they shatter into a billion pieces), Saturn (hard as f*ck to open plastic cases or pathetic plastic/card combos. Both with useless CD spindles), 32X (elaborate cardboard design that gets wrecked easily - why not stick with the plastic MD cases?) and anything from Nintendo pre-DS/GC.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:49 pm

PSP cases are my fave, i think its something to do with the size?

The worst... SNES/N64/Gameboy and any other cardboard box . Dreamcast are rubbish quality wise but they do look good when not broken :lol:

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Joey wrote:Dreamcast are rubbish quality wise but they do look good when not broken :lol:
I will give you that one. :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Neo Geo Pocket Color ones for the chunkiness and "Lovely"-ness, and the later "blue" Mega Drive ones, because they look nice from the side, and are chunky...

So chunkiness and nice-looking-ness is what makes a good case!

The Lynx ones are nice as well - as long as they don't get squashed, they have that really nice metal grid pattern on them.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:16 pm

When in good condition nothing looks better than a good oversized box that ST and Amiga games came in. They might not be practical for storage when you've got more than a few but they sure look good and seem to stay in remarkably good shape compared to Snes & N64 boxes. Absolutely nothing can be worse than Dreamcast cases though, i never would have thought it possible to make a plastic case less less durable than cardboard. Well done Sega.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Always liked PS1 cases myself. N64 are worst as they stuck with cheap old cardboard when everyone else was making more durable cases.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Anything that isn't plastic = fail

I actually love PS3 cases, they're a brilliant size and nicely durable.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:47 pm

Old school big box PC games everytime. Felt like you were buying a lot more than you often were.

Mega Drive and Master System cases come a close 2nd, excellent when on a shelf and keeps everything nice and safe. Same goes for NGPC cases as well.

Worst i'd have to say would be SNES and N64 boxes, even though they look good it's tough to get great condition ones second hand; at least where I get games from. PS1 cases arent far behind, just do not like them. I actually quite like DC cases.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Of the 138 Dreamcast games I own, over 30 have broken hinges, several of which I've shattered just by opening the boxes. When buying them from shops some sneakier store people will sealed/selotaped them 'complete' to avoid showing the hinges are fucke.d I have noticed.

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:14 am

Best: anything post-6th gen really. Basic DVD cases still do the trick perfectly. They're perfectly sturdy, not prone to any kind of damage and don't take up nearly as much shelving as say MD cases. Those are virtually indestructible but they hog up needless amounts of space.

Worst: any just-cardboard Nintendo shenanigans (NES, SNES, N64) and PSX/DC cases. Why couldn't PAL DC just go for basic jewelcases like, idunno, THE REST OF THE WORLD? Sometimes I think they deliberately pester us with that crap.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:27 am

Also have to mention US 3DO games. With an instruction booklet and jewel case for the game, why does the whole lot need to come in some ridiculously tall and needlessly oversized cardboard box?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:54 am

Best : The Ps2 cases with the memory card holder, they were handy when taking games over to a mates place. I agree that the PSP cases are pretty cool, the UMDs are cool anyway.

Worst: PsX cases they are so brittle. And i hated the n64 cardboard crap, i through them all out. I remember seeing at some BlockBusters a few years back, they had lamenated the cardboard, that would of been a decent idea.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:15 am

Best- Gamecube Jap cases. Small stylish durable little platic cases big enough to hold instructions, disc and memory card, with lovely little cardboard slipcases.

Worst- A few contenders, with PS1 Pal cases and Dreamcast Pal cases both very breakable, but the "winner" has to be Saturn Pal cases. Crappy in every sense and ugly as hell. Your lucky if they even close properly half the time. Awful.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:43 am

As others have said anything cardboard is bad, although it does make mint collections of NES/SNES ETC a lot more impressive , i would also include saturn games seems like the covers regulaly come unstuck, but the hinges on the dreamcast cases make then the worst for me, at least with the PS1 cases it easy to find replacements (Fifa's :) for next to nothing.