Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

JamesC

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by JamesC » Thu May 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Rogue Leader was probably my favourite GameCube game.
I also really liked Minority Report which got totally slagged off but I thought it was a lot of fun.
Another favourite was Extreme G 3. That game was so fast! Personally I preferred it over F Zero.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Never knew that PAL games disabled component signal
Not 100% accurate, that. A few PAL games can force 480p prog scan output:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds
F-Zero GX
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Geist
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Mario Smash Football
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect.

If you want to use component its ideal to use a modded machine that's region free and use ntsc discs.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:02 pm

http://store.battlebots.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=240
Apparently this is a real, unreleased game that was almost finished. It seems they found a stock of it somewhere and are now reselling it at $300

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:53 am

That's a lot of money, you've got to be a serious collector to drop that kind of cash on that. For $300 you could by several of the desirable and semi-rare Gamecube titles. But good luck to them and whoever buys them.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:24 am

Sad thing is they will probably get it too. I'd buy if it was more reasonably priced. As said , you could either buy a few premiums or knock a big hole in a collection with that money.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:44 am

I'd want to see it proven real before I parted with that kind of cash, being the cynic that I am.

There's a history of fakery with GC games. A couple of years ago there was a site selling supposedly PAL copies of Roadkill and Barbarian (amongst others). I'd post a link but its either moved on or been shut down. Those were sold at a similar price point. Not saying this game IS fake but I'd be very cautious and do some research.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:05 pm

I doubt it's real, I would have seen it in the time I was collecting, or heard about it from other people collecting US Cube titles.

By Barbarian, which game was this? Something different to the (released) Conan game?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Yeah it was some mocked up thing. I can't remember exactly but the link I had is now broken. Its on page 35ish of the GC thread over on RC where the link took you to various 'PAL' games, Barbarian being one and Roadkill being another. Don't know if anyone over there kept any screenshots of them.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm currently in the middle of a gamecube-fest.

I've always been aware of the dearth of racing titles for the Cube but I was wondering if any of the Rally games are worth tracking down?

I have V Rally 3 but I'm not that enamoured of the handling.

So is Pro Rally or Rally Championship worth a pop? What about the Dakar series (I have Freeloader)?
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:30 am

Mayhem wrote:By Barbarian, which game was this? Something different to the (released) Conan game?
I would assume it was a version of this:

Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:21 pm

nokgod wrote:I'd want to see it proven real before I parted with that kind of cash, being the cynic that I am.
I would have thought that you would own two copies. :wink:

According to the Battlebots Wikipedia page...

BattleBots was a video game based on the BattleBots license for PlayStation 2 and GameCube. It got fairly far in development. Many screenshots were released to media outlets and it obtained a rating from the ESRB, but it was ultimately cancelled after the show was cancelled. However, prototypes of the game were sold on the BattleBots website for $150. Additionally, photographic evidence of the game being played proves that there are copies in existence, so the game could be brought to the Internet in the form of a ROM.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:42 am

Mario kart double dash is cool.

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:24 am

GC is the primary system I collect for now; interesting to see how much the prices are going up (or have gone up) for it.

Sadly I had to sell off my GC collection (150+ games, most of the premium titles) about 2 years ago to part fund the deposit for our flat. Probably got half the value for it then that I would have got now, but c'est la vie. Now I'm back on a more solid financial footing I've picked up the pace again and back up above 50 games via charity shops and Ebay.

The one thing that has rocketed in price is the Game Boy Player with the CD. That seems to be going for £50+ now - I think I got mine for about a tenner 4 years ago. Weird how these things change.

I have asked the wife for FE: POR for Christmas. Hoping beyond hope she doesn't mistake it with Gauntlet or something else ordinary. That will basically ruin Christmas :lol:

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Yeah I've noticed GameCube consoles and games having a bit of a renaissance in value this year.

Still can't believe earlier this year I picked up a fully working purple 1 with all leads 3 controllers and a few games including Mario kart and Mario party 5 for £10 off my local car boot...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Mayhem wrote:I doubt it's real, I would have seen it in the time I was collecting, or heard about it from other people collecting US Cube titles.

By Barbarian, which game was this? Something different to the (released) Conan game?
Wasn't the pal Barbarian basically Rastan 2 on the Jap GameCube but they altered the main character and changed some of the names for the pal release..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"