Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

speedlolita

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:21 pm

I opted to just buy a minty Wii version of Twilight Princess for a tenner.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 pm

I have the Wii version too but that wont complete my GC collection :wink:

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:14 pm

sscott wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Just got Twilight Princess from Cex in Kilburn. Minty condition.

Not letting go this time.
Was always surprised they released this on GameCube, relatively rare now, think my fave game is F Zero GX as it is the game I return to most, still want to pick up Mario kart double dash as I have never played it.
DD seems to polarise opinion, but i really like it. Well worth tracking down, imo. I have two copies but i can't let you have one unfortunately. One is the ltd ed. gold sleeve edition and the other is part of a hardware pak.

Don't think Twilight Princess is anything like rare, just holds its value. There's always plenty on ebay on any given day.....unlike something like a PAL Teen Titans. Now that's rare :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:21 pm

I got my GC Twilight Princess copy at launch, that said I would probably be paying the same for it now.

I'd like to get it on the Wii too but after Skyward Sword i wonder if the controls will feel underdeveloped and i'll just prefer the GC controller anyway.

I think it's a great game, never really understood the apathy towards it some people have, I think I like it so much I'll probably have to get it on the Wii eventually anyway, it's possibly due a replay soon.
nokgod wrote:DD seems to polarise opinion, but i really like it. Well worth tracking down, imo.
I've never understood the dislike for that one either. The main complaint seems to be people complaining they don't win all the time. On the harder settings the game does seem to 'cheat' a bit, but that's the challenge. Other than that the gameplay is absolutely fine and the dual characters is a great idea that mixes up the Mario Kart formula that people often say is stale. And of course needless to say multiplayer is great fun.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Well I think my copy of Twilight Princess was well worth the equivalent of approx £10. I cant be 'rare' as such as ive had a few copies that sold well.
Teen Titans GC I think appeared once in the Cex in Coventry but not with the usual named barcode. Sadly at that time I wasn't really collecting fully. The same shop had several other titles I did buy but now looking back I wish I hadnt left it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:25 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Well I think my copy of Twilight Princess was well worth the equivalent of approx £10. I cant be 'rare' as such as ive had a few copies that sold well.
Teen Titans GC I think appeared once in the Cex in Coventry but not with the usual named barcode. Sadly at that time I wasn't really collecting fully. The same shop had several other titles I did buy but now looking back I wish I hadnt left it.
Strange though, isn't it? The PS2 version i've seen for a quid or two on more than one occasion and seems reasonably common round here (so must have sold a decent amount) and the GC version was released only in France. Don't see the logic in that decision.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:30 pm

pratty wrote:I'd like to get it on the Wii too but after Skyward Sword i wonder if the controls will feel underdeveloped and i'll just prefer the GC controller anyway.

I think it's a great game, never really understood the apathy towards it some people have, I think I like it so much I'll probably have to get it on the Wii eventually anyway, it's possibly due a replay soon.
I own both versions but have only ever played the Wii version due to getting it first. I had no problem with using the remote and nunchuk apart from when doing the fishing section later in the game but I think that was possibly also because I hate fishing sections so wasn't really taking proper notice.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:50 am

dste wrote:
pratty wrote:I'd like to get it on the Wii too but after Skyward Sword i wonder if the controls will feel underdeveloped and i'll just prefer the GC controller anyway.

I own both versions but have only ever played the Wii version due to getting it first. I had no problem with using the remote and nunchuk apart from when doing the fishing section later in the game but I think that was possibly also because I hate fishing sections so wasn't really taking proper notice.
I assumed the Wii controls would be fine, I might just wish they were like SS's controls though. One of my bothers has the Wii version so i'll have to borrow it sometime and try it out. It will be weird playing it seeing everyhing inverted.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

pratty wrote:
nokgod wrote:DD seems to polarise opinion, but i really like it. Well worth tracking down, imo.
I've never understood the dislike for that one either.
I didn't like the handling of the karts. They felt a bit floaty in way that I didn't like...it's difficult to explain.

Having said that, I enjoyed the game in multiplayer and the circuits are pretty nice. I sold my copy last year and don't really regret it because the DS game is where I go for my Mario Kart fix.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:57 pm

The Wii Twilight Princess is not as good as the GC version. The only thing the GC version doesn't have is 16:9 support, everything else is better. The Wii even has a really hideous blur filter over it, I can only assume to make the game look 'better' on LCD televisions.

Double Dash is ace. It's just so damn fast!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Also the entire wii version of Twilight Princess is mirrored because most people are right handed, Link holds his sword in his left hand normally.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:23 am

I did not know that. Plus, i'm left handed so the Wii version can bugger off. :wink:

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:44 am

Speaking of Doubledash, I found this vid posted on another forum, very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnRm-w4fikA

dste

Post by dste » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 am

For some reason I've never gotten into DD, I've put it on a few times and played a couple of races then switched it off again.

When my consoles are set-up again I'm going to give it another crack.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:07 am

I gave it quite a few goes and it never grew on me. The Zelda bonus disc I got on day one gets more play. None of the MK series have quite grabbed me like the first apart from MK DS and GBA.

Really didnt enjoy it on the wii though it was better playing on a classic controller. For me Sonic racing transformed has taken its place although the Snes does get unpacked every now and then for a blast.