Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by pratty » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:50 am

Roo wrote:
killbot wrote:Picked up THUG and Simpsons: Hit & Run yesterday. I used to have the latter for the PC and had forgotten how much I liked it. It's easily the best GTA clone on the GC (much better than the hopeless True Crime games) and by a mile the best Simpsons game ever made.
Loveed that game at the time. I was gutted when I had to sell it to pay for my folks' wedding anniversary presents. :(

Not sure how it's aged though. Could be a bit quaint by today's standards, perhaps? Should give it another go...
I recently replayed it on the Cube and enjoyed it. It seemed a bit short and simple than I remembered but it does have lots to collect and unlock, and graphically I thought it's aged quite well due to the cartoony graphics.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:07 pm

pratty wrote:
Roo wrote:
killbot wrote:Picked up THUG and Simpsons: Hit & Run yesterday. I used to have the latter for the PC and had forgotten how much I liked it. It's easily the best GTA clone on the GC (much better than the hopeless True Crime games) and by a mile the best Simpsons game ever made.
Loveed that game at the time. I was gutted when I had to sell it to pay for my folks' wedding anniversary presents. :(

Not sure how it's aged though. Could be a bit quaint by today's standards, perhaps? Should give it another go...
I recently replayed it on the Cube and enjoyed it. It seemed a bit short and simple than I remembered but it does have lots to collect and unlock, and graphically I thought it's aged quite well due to the cartoony graphics.
I think the graphics are the only (small) issue I have. The 3D models just don't look right - they're more like Simpsons action figures come to life than an actual representation of the TV characters.

The Simpsons Game is the first 3D Simpsons title to really get the 'look' right. If Hit & Run were re-released using the character models from TSG it would be the ultimate Simpsons game.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:24 am

Anyone played Doshin the Giant? I'm thinking about picking it up out of curiosity :)

Spyke

Post by Spyke » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Don't have the Gamecube anymore, but when I did it was Viewtiful Joe for me! Ikaruga too, along with Spider-man and Burnout. Mainstream or what...! LOL

Would like to revisit them again one day...

Ant
PAL PS2, GC+freeloader, PAL PS1 (Jp-import-chipped), Jp Sega Saturn, PAL DC
Sore thumbs

Roo

Post by Roo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 am

famicom69 wrote:Anyone played Doshin the Giant? I'm thinking about picking it up out of curiosity :)
Yeah, I'm the one who bought it for £39.99 when it came out! Ugly, basic and deeply repetitive, yet not without it's charms, and very dissimilar to anything else on the GameCube. I see it can be had for around a tenner on Amazon. With that in mind, I'd say it's worth a shot - yet, as you say, as a curiousity.

Come to think of it, how on earth did Doshin The Giant get a PAL release? Mad.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:38 pm

It didn't come out in the US. Why did Doshin get a PAL release? Might have something to do with the fact Dylan Cuthbert single-handedly produced it. Although I vaguely recall something about Europe getting Doshin, and the US getting some other game that Europe did not.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:53 pm

It's the Gamecube's 10th anniversary!

I'm not sure how exactly how to celebrate it, but yay Gamecube! What a glorious console! :D

Actually I did have the idea of instead of the usual top ten lists ets, how about trying to come up with the top ten games that fit onto just one 59 block memory card, a la fastasy football, but I doubt anyone could be bothered. Plus you can actually make a very good list without including many mediocre games. You'd have to limit the memory to make the lists more interesting.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Mayhem wrote:It didn't come out in the US. Why did Doshin get a PAL release? Might have something to do with the fact Dylan Cuthbert single-handedly produced it. Although I vaguely recall something about Europe getting Doshin, and the US getting some other game that Europe did not.
That would be Cubivore. They were both N64DD games finished off for the 'cube I think. I have Doshin but have never played it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Happy 10th Birthday 'lil 'cube :D

I celebrated by buying Pokemon Box :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Picked-up PN03. Yay for future classics!

edit: Oh and Ikaruga. I'm unstoppable! I've bought like 6 games this week alone!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:14 pm

CIH wrote: I'm unstoppable! I've bought like 6 games this week alone!
welcome to my world :wink: :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Pikmin for me, my favourite game on the console. Also worthy of mention due to time spent playing would be:

Viewtiful Joe
Super Monkey Ball
Zelda Windwaker
Timesplitters

Not exactly unique to the platform, but still well executed and all replayable today.
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:45 am

Megamixer wrote:That would be Cubivore. They were both N64DD games finished off for the 'cube I think. I have Doshin but have never played it.
Cubivore sounds about right. Although Doshin did come out for the 64DD btw...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:01 am

The Cube got me back into gaming about three years ago, so I have a lot to thank it for.

Top 5 games are (well, the ones I've played):

RE4
Double Dash
Viewtiful Joe
Freedom Fighters
(I only bought it last year, but got a real soft spot for it)
Wind Waker.

Good feature here - http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/1 ... be_and_wii

Ironically, someone in work was telling me that a few weeks ago they dropped a Gamecube and a load of games off at a charity shop! I could have throttled him.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:33 am