Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:12 am

pratty wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 am
I've started to build a modest NTSC collection, managed to recently get Smash Bros Melee for a sensible price.

What I'm really after now is Prince Of Persia Sands of Time, but it seems to be the only NTSC POP game nobody in the UK is selling/trading.
Nin10dofan wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:51 pm
Fav games were F-ZERO GX , PN03, viewtiful joe, eternal darkness, Billy hatcher, luigis mansion, super Mario sunshine, all the new and remastered resident evil games, metroid prime,pikmin,geist,star fox adventure,1080 avalance, soul calibur 2,
Geist is a game I've looked at a few time but just never fancied it for reason.
I had Gesit brand new back in the day. It was alright. A bit clunky and obviously a lower budget production but it played pretty well.
The gag was you were a ghost who would possess people and objects to progress through a Resi. Evil style evil corporation's lab complex. It was a little limited; think early splinter cell do X at y, rather than free to roam like Thief 2.
Can't recall why I got it TBH. IIRC the GC was a little light on FPS.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:58 am
pratty wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 am
I've started to build a modest NTSC collection, managed to recently get Smash Bros Melee for a sensible price.

What I'm really after now is Prince Of Persia Sands of Time, but it seems to be the only NTSC POP game nobody in the UK is selling/trading.
Nin10dofan wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:51 pm
Fav games were F-ZERO GX , PN03, viewtiful joe, eternal darkness, Billy hatcher, luigis mansion, super Mario sunshine, all the new and remastered resident evil games, metroid prime,pikmin,geist,star fox adventure,1080 avalance, soul calibur 2,
Geist is a game I've looked at a few time but just never fancied it for reason.
Is there a particular reason for buying NTSC when the Cube can boot in 60Hz anyway if you're one of those people who insist on that as a thing?
My understanding is only the NTSC games (but not all of them) will output in 480p.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Fair enough, I hadn't realised that was a difference, I thought it was just the AV port change that nullified 480p on some PAL Cubes.

FWIW, I played Geist for a while and it didn't hold my attention, this despite quite looking forward to it. The mechanics are too contrived and limited, so it never feels natural, you're very much tied into the game forcing you to do particular actions at particular times. By all means give it a whirl, but I wouldn't pay big bucks for it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:30 pm
Fair enough, I hadn't realised that was a difference, I thought it was just the AV port change that nullified 480p on some PAL Cubes.

FWIW, I played Geist for a while and it didn't hold my attention, this despite quite looking forward to it. The mechanics are too contrived and limited, so it never feels natural, you're very much tied into the game forcing you to do particular actions at particular times. By all means give it a whirl, but I wouldn't pay big bucks for it.
Ok cheers, I'll probably not bother with Geist, like i say it never really appealed to me anyway, but i was still curious if it was some overlooked gem.

I think the PAL Gamecube hardware is actually capable of 480p through the digital port, however the PAL software is not.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm

pratty wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:25 pm
I think the PAL Gamecube hardware is actually capable of 480p through the digital port, however the PAL software is not.
Pretty much, although the component output is analogue rather than digital; there wouldn't be a Nintendo console with digital video until the Wii U.

A lot of PAL games can be forced to output in 480p, and some even in 576p, with the aid of Swiss. However, with this being a bit flaky you're still better off going with the the NTSC games.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Geist is definitely not a great game but it was one of those development-hell titles anyway so it shouldn't be surprising.

I would have to dig out the review I wrote of it years ago to remember all of the exact reasons why it was crap but I seem to remember the game having stupid AI, rubbish Resi-style puzzles for the hell of it and so much stuff that you COULDN'T do despite being a ghost.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Goldenduster

Post by Goldenduster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Did anyone have Donkey Conga? I used to love that! Probably quite rare now but I sold all my GC stuff when I split from my ex..

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:04 am

Have it? I have a full complement of 4 sets of bongos to go with it. Jungle Beat is probably the more enjoyable game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 am

2 sets of Bongos, Pal 1+2, American 1+2, Japan 1+2, and of course Jungle Beat.

Well, they all have different song selections. XD Just missing the Japan only 3.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.