System 3 Gottlieb Pinball Classics is a re-release

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

System 3 Gottlieb Pinball Classics is a re-release

Post by NorthWay » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:38 pm

What the topic says really.

I had a shitload of problems trying to get the #$£(#%*$£(*%" cd to boot on my PS2 until I loaded up the zone-free DVD player sw and then inserted the disc.
Imagine my sneaking suspicion of "haven't I seen this before" when it finally loaded. And I have. Seen it I mean.
It is nearly exactly the same game as the Play-It release of "Pinball Hall of classics"(I can't remember the exact name - I have lent it to a friend right now).

What's worse (apart from only giving me "read error") is that it felt more sluggish than the Play-It release.

Good to see John Twiddy credited as a producer at least... (Hey RG, now you know where to get in touch with him for that interview you should have done long time ago...)

Come back Digital Illusions, all is forgiven. Why can't anyone make a proper _computer_ pinball these days? (Anyone know an online shop selling the PS1 True Pinball?)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:39 am

Digital Illusions still exist as DICE. After the pinball games they made the two XBOX Rallysport games and then Battlefield 1942 on PC.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

merman

Post by merman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:33 am

John Twiddy did a (brief) interview in issue 18 of RG about the Last Ninja games...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:12 am

I've never understood the appeal of Pinball games on consoles. Sure it's fun for a while, but nothing beats the real thing. Ayway, each to his own I suppose :wink:
真・豪鬼

wilshy

Re: System 3 Gottlieb Pinball Classics is a re-release

Post by wilshy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:21 am

NorthWay wrote: Come back Digital Illusions, all is forgiven. Why can't anyone make a proper _computer_ pinball these days? (Anyone know an online shop selling the PS1 True Pinball?)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... 36?ie=UTF8

:D Where I got mine from.

devilman

Re:

Post by devilman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:23 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:I've never understood the appeal of Pinball games on consoles. Sure it's fun for a while, but nothing beats the real thing. Ayway, each to his own I suppose :wink:
To me, I like to see console pinball trying stuff that would be impossible to do on a real table. Games like Revenge of the Gator, Dragon's Fury and Flipnic are great because they take traditional pinball ideas and expand on them.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:I've never understood the appeal of Pinball games on consoles. Sure it's fun for a while, but nothing beats the real thing. Ayway, each to his own I suppose :wink:
To be fair you could use that against almost all games.

Why play a driving game on console? You can drive in rela life.

Why play a tennis game... you can play tennis in real life.

Why shoot aliens in a ga....ok you got me on that one.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com