Console manufacturing...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Console manufacturing...

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:28 pm

I find it really interesting when reading up on retro machines and finding out that there were many different versions manufactured with official licenses. Examples include the various Sega Mega Drive/Mega CD combos produced by JVC/Victor, the Sharp Famicom twin, the 3DO, CDi and so on.

Nowadays, a console is a console, will only ever be manufactured by the one company and it's all much more straightforward.

I guess I just find comparing the aesthetics/functonality of the old console variations much more interesting when these days, an Xbox is an Xbox and a Wii is a Wii etc.

Anybody else feel the same?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Re: Console manufacturing...

Post by pratty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:18 pm

I know what you mean. You'd think the mobile phone manufacturers would be able to produce all manner of cool PSP and DS varients.

The Panasonic Q (Gamecube/DVD player) was very cool but also limited by it's price, and that it was only available in Japan I believe. Shame.

I do think though had they made one in the regular DVD player shape at a reasonable price, it cold have caught on enough to deserve a wider release. Sure the PS2 and Xbox played DVDs too but they were ugly consoles in my opinion. A slim Panasonic Q might have helped the Gamecube and Nintendo a lot.

However, the downside though is that something like the regular Gamecube GBA player device isn't compatable and therefore the Panasonic Q still doesn't offer the "definitive" Gamecube experience as it didn't support all that the Gamecube has to offer.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:40 pm

i think its the other way around isnt it? Unlike years ago when the company actually made the product.But due to the recession and cost if you scratch the surface and look deep like on p.c's and other electrical goods.Its not really the brand name company making it.Usually its another company outsourced to make it but the reputable brand name stamped on it.I remember looking up who made the tubes for the "dell" crt monitors.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:53 pm

pratty wrote:I know what you mean. You'd think the mobile phone manufacturers would be able to produce all manner of cool PSP and DS varients.
That won't happen because as yet, Sony and Nintendo do not license their hardware out to other manufactures. Its for this reason why all variants of the PSP and DS have only come from Sony and Nintendo.

The other variants of the MD came about towards the end of the Sega MD's life, and the only reason why they came about is because Sega licensed the hardware to these manufacturers.

3DO is a different story. The 3DO company didn't manufacture consoles, it simply designed the hardware and made manufacturing deals with companies such as Panasonic, Sanyo and GoldStar.

Modern consoles are not all made by one company. Foxconn a taiwanese company makes the motherboards for many different systems such as the PS3 and the Xbox 360. Foxconn also help make the boards for the iPhone, iPod and iPad. Microsoft doesn't make the DVD drives for the 360, they have used various manufacturers.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:55 pm

@matty glad you thought same,just read too that some "sony" lcds where made by samsung!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Fred83 wrote:@matty glad you thought same,just read too that some "sony" lcds where made by samsung!
The panels most likely. The Apple cinema screen HD remix or whatever panel is made by Dell.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:52 pm

I never considered the internal components of machines - good point. However, I was leaning more towards machines with identical functionality but look completely different.

I think I'd just like to know why these sorts of licensing deals don't really happen anymore.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Maybe its money to be made from flogging and licensing old material like sega with their merchandise.I guess the closest to what us europeans had was the fantasic MSX machines that where made by a lot of famous brands.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Console companies and computer manufacturers have been getting their parts from other sources ever since the birth of the industry. For example, at the heart of the Atari 2600 was a CPU called a MOS 6507, the 6507 was cut down version of the 6502, the 6502 CPU sat inside such machines as the Atari 400,800 series, the Apple I and Apple II, Commodore Vic 20 and the BBC computers.

MOS technology who invented the 6502 CPU were purchased by Commodore in 1976. MOS technology licensed the tech behind the 6502 to various semiconductor companies, one of them was Ricoh. Ricoh supplied a processor called the 2A03 to Nintendo. This chip was essentially a 6502 at its core, but modified for the NES game system.

The Commodore 64 had an enhanced 6502 chip, the 6510.

Speaking of CPUs, there are two other processors that you may not be aware of. The first is the Z80. The Z80 CPU was used in many home computers, notably the Amstrad 8 bit range and the ZX spectrum range of home computers. Many early Arcade machines used a Z80 based CPU too. Even the Sega Master System had a Zilog Z80 processor.

The other is Motorola 68000 series. The 68000 sat inside the Atari ST range, and the Commodore Amiga range. The Sega Mega Drive processor was a 68000 running at the same clock speed as the one in the Amiga 500. M68000 chips also were used in hundreds of arcade machines, from the middle of the 1980's to the middle of the 1990's.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 am

Nokia and Nintendo nearly hooked up on something before the DS, but it was rejected in the end by the Nintendo board.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/ ... sp?c=22738
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:53 am

Whats the 'deal' with the Europe seeming to get different components in a model that of other regions?. I.e heard tell of lower quality HDD in orig. Xbox, lower quality LCD in PSP`s etc.We seem to pay more, wait longer, yet get lower quality goods. :?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:54 pm

thevulture wrote:Whats the 'deal' with the Europe seeming to get different components in a model that of other regions?. I.e heard tell of lower quality HDD in orig. Xbox, lower quality LCD in PSP`s etc.We seem to pay more, wait longer, yet get lower quality goods. :?
Maybe corporate tax eats up the profits so we get cheaper components,either that or we just a bunch of cheapskates :lol:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:58 pm

thevulture wrote:Whats the 'deal' with the Europe seeming to get different components in a model that of other regions?. I.e heard tell of lower quality HDD in orig. Xbox, lower quality LCD in PSP`s etc.We seem to pay more, wait longer, yet get lower quality goods. :?
I dunno about that HDD claim - the models were originally 8GB and were upgraded to 10GB later on.

Lower quality screen is possible, I think the JP PSP-1000 screen was brighter than the EU one - dunno about the US one.

I think it could be down to EU law in some instances, such as volume limiting on audio hardware such as iPods. A non EU machine will have a much higher max volume simply because the EU restrict the max volume of them.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Fred83 wrote: Maybe corporate tax eats up the profits so we get cheaper components,either that or we just a bunch of cheapskates :lol:
We're an island of people obsessed with getting things for next-to-nothing and somehow acquiring lots of money for little effort so it wouldn't surprise me.

Corporate exec: "So, the UK..."

Corporate exec 2: "That island of cheapskates?"

Corporate exec 3: " Yeah. I've been thinking...if they want stuff cheaper then maybe we should give them cheaper, crappier components..."

*silence*

(both corporate execs burst out in evil laughter)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:15 pm

We do seem to get rubbish deals on stuff compare to our friends in asia.But then we have different taste i guess.Cant agree on getting things to next to nothing if we where like that i doubt we have such good displays we have in the show collection thread :)
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.