FAO Darran, Super Play feature long overdue

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: FAO Darran, Super Play feature long overdue

Post by nakamura » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:25 am

Super Play was easily the bst magazine ever. It had such diverse content, brilliant writing and superb artwork from Wil Overton.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 am

nakamura wrote:It had such diverse content
Yep, as long as it's for the Super Nintendo! :wink:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 pm

stvd wrote:
nakamura wrote:It had such diverse content
Yep, as long as it's for the Super Nintendo! :wink:
Well, yeah, good point there. :lol:
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:02 pm

glad to see some fellow Super Play love.

If you were a SNES/SFC owner in the 90's, this was the only mag worth reading. I even had mates that only had sega consoles but would buy Super Play because of the quality of content.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:30 pm

A SuperPlay feature would be good, Greatest magazine ever, it opened my eyes to all the import/ntsc/60hz stuff etc.. :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

theMot

Post by theMot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:22 pm

+1 for a super play feature. Hell they have done crash, zap, cvg and sega saturn mag they should do something about Super Play too.

Wil posts on this forum, im sure he would have something to contribute.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Sun May 08, 2011 6:23 pm

The Super Play feature was pitched to the magazine recently but given that Future and Imagine are obviously rival publishers, it's probably not something that could ever be featured in the magazine. At the end of the day Future are quite protective about their old magazines - probably because they may have plans to re-release the content themselves at some point - so Retro Gamer re-printing pages is going to be like a red flag to a bull.

Anyway, here's the next best thing.

Enjoy!

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun May 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Super Play was a fantastic mag - I had about 2 thirds of a complete collection a few years back but they were so tatty from reading and rereading I binned them and will get a set from ebay in the future. I don't think I'll ever find a mag with such zeal and it was the first to take gaming seriously and not just knock something out "for the kidz"
Duddyroar wrote:At the end of the day Future are quite protective about their old magazines - probably because they may have plans to re-release the content themselves at some point - so Retro Gamer re-printing pages is going to be like a red flag to a bull.
I hardly think RG would be reprinting pages. Just bits and pieces, nothing that would damage future re-releasing content. In fact it would be like free advertising.

webding

Post by webding » Sun May 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Duddyroar wrote:The Super Play feature was pitched to the magazine recently but given that Future and Imagine are obviously rival publishers...
Ah, so that was the reason. Seems a bit petty (by whichever publisher was most likely to object the most), but I can see the potential for problems.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 am

theMot wrote:+1 for a super play feature. Hell they have done crash, zap, cvg and sega saturn mag they should do something about Super Play too.

Wil posts on this forum, im sure he would have something to contribute.
and there was a big feature on Maximum magazine too, many other mags have been covered in the past, I would love to see a little homage given to the mighty Super Play, but certainly can appreciate the rival/competition aspect of not being able to do it.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.