FAO Darran, Super Play feature long overdue

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Neilos626

FAO Darran, Super Play feature long overdue

Post by Neilos626 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 pm

As in the title, we are now at issue 80 and we have not even had a sniff of a feature on Super Play. This is a criminal oversite, it was by far the best console mag of the 90's and possibly the best mag ever. Any chance you can track down the staff and come up with a comprehensive feature including plenty of behind the scenes stories.Also while I'm on the subject any chance of some more Will Overton covers?
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Dizrythmia

Re: FAO Darran, Super Play feature long overdue

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:57 pm

It could be the reason why we haven't seen an Amstrad Action article or any other article (from memory) from Future Publishing. It's kinda supporting the opposition. That being said I got the final 4 issues of Super Play I needed the other day & I have a near mint set of all 47 issues :)

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:11 am

I have the complete collection myself including the gold edition and binder, I go back to them regulary. Super Play is getting some coverage in back to the 90's but it's not the same as a full feature.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:11 pm

While I'm not totally against the idea, it's a magazine, not a game so I wouldn't
say it's overdue. I'd say it wasn't particularly necessary.
And if you have every issue, what do you want to know about it?

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:13 am

stvd wrote:While I'm not totally against the idea, it's a magazine, not a game so I wouldn't
say it's overdue. I'd say it wasn't particularly necessary.
And if you have every issue, what do you want to know about it?
But yet there was an issue paying homage to Crash!?

What has the fact it's not a game, got to do with wether it appears in the mag or not? Its part of retro gaming.

I may have every issue, but I didn't work behind the scenes, what went on, how was mag content decided, why the focus on imports and rpg's, what was the feeling when then last issue went out, where are they now etc etc.

Would rather see this in the mag than the daft price guide, which is completely irrelevant.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:18 pm

Never heard of it, never read it, and I can't see how it's more relevant than the huge amount of magazines that haven't been covered. It would seem that Crash is the exception rather than the rule, a rare example of a magazine being covered. And there's good reason for that I think. While people are often quite happy to read about games they never played, as they can go away and play those games, I'd estimate that a significantly smaller proportion of people are interested in reading about a magazine they've never read.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Never heard of the mag, I would recommend you PM Darran or put your comments in the feedback section but as others have said there are hundreds of mags not been covered with Crash being a rare exception.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:Never heard of it, never read it, and I can't see how it's more relevant than the huge amount of magazines that haven't been covered.
Because it was the best videogaming magazine of the 90s by far... by a very, VERY long way indeed. That's why. In the same way Zzap!64 was the best magazine of the 80s, Superplay was the herald of journalism, publication, content and coverage for the following decade. And maybe it would get people interested in finding out just why... why those who owned the SNES (or SFC) and knew about it were rabid to get it every month.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:58 pm

Mayhem wrote:In the same way Zzap!64 was the best magazine of the 80s

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Havantgottaclue wrote:Never heard of it, never read it, and I can't see how it's more relevant than the huge amount of magazines that haven't been covered.
Because it was the best videogaming magazine of the 90s by far... by a very, VERY long way indeed. That's why. In the same way Zzap!64 was the best magazine of the 80s, Superplay was the herald of journalism, publication, content and coverage for the following decade. And maybe it would get people interested in finding out just why... why those who owned the SNES (or SFC) and knew about it were rabid to get it every month.
Damn straight. SuperPlay was fantastic, and it was the first mag I remember setting a modern template in terms of covering the whole import gaming scene, developments in the US/Japan and other stuff as well as the available games of the day, not to mention Wil Overtons fantastic artwork.

Easily up there with Crash/Zzap64.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Personally I would love to read a feature on Super Play. It was an amazing magazine for a number of reasons including the artwork, championing import gaming and introducing a lot of people to Anime and Manga.

It covered a lot of obscure games that no other magazine would touch, and was written by very passionate knowlegable people. It's certainly my favorite games magazine of all time (followed my Mean Machines) and it opened my eyes to a lot of cool little games, Japanese culture and the difference between PAl and NTSC gaming.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Okay, fair enough. I was an Amiga gamer at the time and wouldn't have been interested in that sort of thing at the time, so that's probably why it passed me by.

But magazine retrospectives just don't really do it for me anyway.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:13 pm

I imagine there was a rise of sales of import consoles,especially snes's,after the first issue. It must have made some impact.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Best...... magazine....... ever.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

rolan

Post by rolan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:35 am

I didnt bother reading the crash special but loved the CVG special they did, I think its down to whether people actually read it at the time or not, I don't think I ever read an issue of it but would still be interested in it as it covers the snes.