Should I buy a PS3?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

thevulture

Re: Should I buy a PS3?

Post by thevulture » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 am

Still feel Sony could be doing a lot more to bring a few more beloved Playstation franchises back.Yep we`ve had Warhawk, Wipeout etc but machine is crying out for new Colony Wars, G-Police titles.The hardware is there to do the games justice, the online aspect has massive potential.Also since Splinter Cell seems to be 360 exclusive these days, surprised no PS3 Syphon Filter.L.B.P and Modnation etc all nice n that, but are they really the mass market stuff Sony needs? :?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Megamixer wrote:It was never properly compatible anyway. Far too many glitches and games that weren't completely supported. I chose to have a 250GB PS3 Slim alongside my fat PS2 which is the better option for being able to play the older stuff.
I'm completely with you on that. I've got the same (250gb PS3 Slim and my old fat PS2 set up next to each other and also keep my old Xbox out alongside the Xbox 360. If backward compatibility isn't 100% spot on, then I'm not interested.
thevulture wrote:Still feel Sony could be doing a lot more to bring a few more beloved Playstation franchises back.Yep we`ve had Warhawk, Wipeout etc but machine is crying out for new Colony Wars, G-Police titles.The hardware is there to do the games justice, the online aspect has massive potential.Also since Splinter Cell seems to be 360 exclusive these days, surprised no PS3 Syphon Filter.L.B.P and Modnation etc all nice n that, but are they really the mass market stuff Sony needs? :?
I agree with you too. Sony pretty much shat on the Syphon Filter franchise though with Syphon Filter: Omega Strain on the PS2....I haven't been able to look at those games in the same way since paying full price for that travesty, and I loved the PS1 trilogy.....haven't tried the PSP games yet. They should at least try though...original quirky games are great (and should be encouraged) but it's your core franchises that will keep the masses happy and keep them coming back for more, a look at Nintendo's output is enough to tell you that.
Last edited by ToxieDogg on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Found Xbox Compatibility to be tad hit n miss on 360-Lot of stuff i expected to be able to play on 360 i cannot, whilst so off the most dire xbox titles i can. :roll: PS2, Ps1 compatibility not an issue for myself, Ps1 games look poor on my LCD HD TV so i use the old portable for them.PS2 stuff? Use the PS2.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:41 pm

thevulture wrote:Found Xbox Compatibility to be tad hit n miss on 360-Lot of stuff i expected to be able to play on 360 i cannot, whilst so off the most dire xbox titles i can. :roll: PS2, Ps1 compatibility not an issue for myself, Ps1 games look poor on my LCD HD TV so i use the old portable for them.PS2 stuff? Use the PS2.
Yeah, a lot of the supposedly backward compatible Xbox games just play terrible on the 360. Many of them suffering from frame rate issues to glitches and crashes. I'd rather play them on my original Xbox thanks.

Never had a PS2, but I'm not too pleased with how some PS1 games look on the PS3. Instead I play PS1 games on my PC with ePSXe.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Firstly. It's awesome to be in a gaming forum discussing current gen consoles and not having to read "OMG PS3 SUX WII HAS 9000 MORE POWERS!!!!" etc. :D

If you have the money to spend and it is burning a hole in your pocket then you should go for it. I haven't yet as there is nothing "must have" for me so far. You'll hear different sides of the story depending on taste anyway. 2 colleagues in my office own both the 360 and ps3, one says "My PS3 just gathers dust" the other says "My xbox 360 just gathers dust" :lol:

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:55 pm

The ps3 60gb is a good 80% backwards compatible, notable exceptions include Ico for one.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:45 pm

thevulture wrote:Found Xbox Compatibility to be tad hit n miss on 360-Lot of stuff i expected to be able to play on 360 i cannot, whilst so off the most dire xbox titles i can. :roll: PS2, Ps1 compatibility not an issue for myself, Ps1 games look poor on my LCD HD TV so i use the old portable for them.PS2 stuff? Use the PS2.

Quite frankly this subject doesn't particularly directly concern me - if I want to play a PS2 title then I personally get more of a buzz and overall nostalgic feel for it by playing it via an actual PS2 console.

That said, the bigger picture for me is how the facility to play PS2 games was on the first batch of PS3 models only for it to be removed on future models........ always struck me as a bit unfair although in the same breath, if PS2 consoles are *still* selling quite well then it was a sensible business decision.
Into the Wonderful

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm gonna take the plunge :D

Bad news is I've gotta wait until wednesday/thursday for my pension cheque to clear :evil:

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 pm

sscott wrote:The ps3 60gb is a good 80% backwards compatible, notable exceptions include Ico for one.
I have the original 60Gb version with BC, and as it happens, ICO is the only PS2 game I've played on it (apart from a quick test of a couple of others). It worked perfectly, and I finished it without any technical problems.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Ref.Sony removing Backward Compat.At the time? Sony said it was to reduce manufacturing costs...and indeed, it did, but by a very small amount (Even the official PS3 mag, listed how small a saving it was).No, 'Real' reason was that at the time, people were not buying NEW PS3 games, but picking up loads of cheap (USED/2nd hand) PS2 titles and playing them on the PS3, Sony therefore took a hit on the console, which was`nt being replaced by the profit from PS3 games.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:31 pm

@Toxiedogg Sony took a ruddy great runny dump on Wipeout and Syphon Filter on PS2, Thankfully the PSP reboots of the franchise were a splendid return to form for BOTH franchises. And the games got ported to PS2 if you fancy checking `em out.So, now Sony has wiped it`s arse, changed out of it`s skiddy long johns, time for some PS3 magic methinks.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi again guys. Maybe a little off topic, but it's PS2 related. Is there a way to get a better picture on my HDTV with my PS2? Used to use the SCART socket which looked a bit off. Then I managed to procure a S/Video PS2 cable and it seems to have cleaned it up. Is that the best i can hope for? Or is there another cable which is even better?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:48 pm

If I remember rightly, Yakuza 2 doesn't work properly on a 60GB PS3. Save data randomly corrupts/disappears from the virtual memory cards.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:00 pm

malekith1979 wrote:Hi again guys. Maybe a little off topic, but it's PS2 related. Is there a way to get a better picture on my HDTV with my PS2? Used to use the SCART socket which looked a bit off. Then I managed to procure a S/Video PS2 cable and it seems to have cleaned it up. Is that the best i can hope for? Or is there another cable which is even better?
Either RGB Scart (not a scart block with composite inputs) or Component (Blue, Green & Red plugs), component also has the added advantage of 480p for the games that support it, but in reality the PS2 is really meant for CRT TVs, some games on my HDTV look great in 480p such as the God of War games, but a couple of games look like utter shyte... ICO for one, but I think thats more to do with the low resolution the game runs at...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:51 pm

Tried Scart on my Toshiba LCD was ok, but Component gave far better results, so that`s what i use.