Should I buy a PS3?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SexyWayne

Should I buy a PS3?

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Right now I'm a little flush with some disposable cash, and I'm thinking about buying a PS3 but I'm in two minds, I already have a 360 and a Wii so come on people convince me.... should I? or shouldn't I?

The only pros I can think of atm is Blurays and Ridge Racer 7 to complete my Ridge Racer console based collection... possibly Joe Danger and Wipeout HD too and the fact that I haven't got one and money burns holes in my pockets :(

How does the PS3 hold up as a Media Player?? could I transfer my entire music collection to a upgraded HDD?? or an external USB HDD?? does it come with a DVD style remote?? if not can you buy them?? do they even exist?? as if I buy a PS3 it will most likely replace my DVD player due to lack of space under the TV and the DVD player is also using up the last HDMI slot on my TV, I know most of these questions are a little pointless but I don't like to be restricted with what I can do, the 360 is OK as a media player but a little too restrictive in the way that the only music you can store on it has to be ripped first.

Does it output DTS, DD etc through the HDMI lead or optical??

I do have my heart set on buying one but there's just that niggling doubt in the back of my mind that I'll be throwing money away... :roll:

Smurph

Re: Should I buy a PS3?

Post by Smurph » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Yes, buy one. I use mine for DVD/Bluray, and mostly games-wise, the PSN stuff - I only have three disc based games (since there's a 360 version/equivalent of most things), but I've tons of really great downloaded stuff, Joe Danger is amazing, Wipeout too - then of course there's tons of other stuff you'll find you love.

It outputs Dolby Digital through optical (and DTS, as far as I know, but why anyone would want DTS when Digi is there is beyond me).

Not sure on the music front, I only have a few tracks which I stuck on via a USB stick, so I assume so.

Buy one, you'll love it. And get Gravity Crash, it's f**king brilliant.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Yeah get one, if it's disposable income then go for it, even if it's mainly for the Blu Ray player and other media capabilities. I would struggle to fully recommend it solely as an additional gaming machine when you already own 360/Wii as these fine machines already have all bases covered. There's simply not enough extra games to warrant a few extra hundred quid going on another console imho.

But unless you're a person like me who doesn't get on too great with having loads of consoles lying about then by all means get it, GT5 coming out soon too! (we hope)

edit: As for the PS3 media capabilities, I think you will find they have been slightly blown out of proportion as you can pretty much do most things with a 360 as you can a PS3 relatively speaking. Regarding music it doesn't have LastFM integration which you like so much and I have heard that organising your music into folders on the PS3 HDD is a real pain and very un-organised. I would personally do that from the PC and set up a media server, but then you can use the 360 in this case anyway. There may be some other benefits/perks that other people can elaborate on in this area.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Yeah, buy one. I recently got one myself with some spare cash I had. There's a lot of good exclusive games for it now, just played through Uncharted and thought it was excellent. Plus it doubles up as a Blu Ray player.

And for a person like yourself who's not too fussed about online multiplayer, at least that aspect of it's free if you ever want to take on the world.

One thing I discovered last night (when I downloaded the Scott Pilgrim vs The World game) is that the PSN store doesn't have a stupid 'points' system at least, you just pay exactly the amount it's asking for the game, you haven't got to buy a set amount of points and then have spare points floating about on your account for donkey's years, big advantage over downloading games on the Xbox 360 and Wii if you ask me.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Another thing to consider is will you have the time to play the games on that system too?

I bought a PS3 about 2 years ago but just dont have the time to dedicate to it as i regularly play on the 360, PSP and Famicom. Ive recently come to the conclusion that its not worth me having it as i switch it on about twice a month so my bro is having it.

I will miss playing Wipeout HD and the other great games on the console though.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.... still in two minds tho :evil:

Joey, that's the #1 con on my list, I don't play the consoles I have now enough, but the bluray is a bigger pro for me personally, I watch more films than play games but there are a few PS3 exclusives I want.. RR7 for starters like I said to complete the collection

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:47 pm

SexyWayne wrote:does it come with a DVD style remote?? if not can you buy them?? do they even exist??
I don't think anyone's answered this part (apoligies if they have). You don't get one with it, but THIS is what you are looking for. You can use the DualShock, but it's much better with the remote. Also, because it's Bluetooth, you don't have to aim it at the PS3.

If you like Metal Gear Solid, than MGS IV is brilliant IMO, as is Uncharted 1 & 2, and LittleBigPlanet is one of my favourite games of all time (if you like making games or using construction kits, then it's a "must buy, though you can just play the levels already made). Killzone 2 is also very good if you like FPS games, and MotorStorm games for off-road car fun.

If you like films, then getting it for a BluRay player is almost worth it alone, as you'll be getting another console for only about £140 extra (assuming you were going to buy a BluRay player in the near future for about £100).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 pm

If you have the spare cash I'd definitely invest in one. I got mine in Oct last year and am very pleased with it. The PS3 seems to upscale my DVDs better than my 360 ever did, and of course there's a whole clutch of PS3 exclusive games that are well worth getting. I'm a 360phile at heart, but was seduced away for a while. The only thing I dislike about the console is I don't like the online marketplace as much as the Xbox, and when I first connected it to the net it just wanted to update constantly. Having said that, I believe it's the best VFM console on the market and it even plays your old PS1 discs. Go for it!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:07 pm

SexyWayne wrote:the fact that I haven't got one and money burns holes in my pockets :(
As a bloke I can safely say that this is really all the justification or motivation thats needed.....you know what to do.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:14 pm

I've had the EXACT same dillemma last week (with the exception that I don't own a Wii) and I went for it. Mainly as I'll be getting a larger HDTV later this year, so Blu-Ray, as well as the reliability and the exclusives. I too had the feeling that I'll be throwing my money away, but TBH I'm enjoying it more than I ever enjoyed my 360. Oh and you'll love the controller SO much more :wink:
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:20 pm

I would say yes too if you also like your movies as well as your games. Blu-rays are great and standard DVDs look fantastic too. There are quite a few remarkable PS3 exclusives that really take advantage of the extra storage space BD discs provide. May I say that Uncharted 2 is an absolute corker! Don't forget, the greatest racing ever (in my opinion anyway), Gran Turismo 5 should be out in November. :D

The only thing that lets it down is PSN, it's simply not as good as Xbox Live. There isn't the same amount of content on PSN compared to Live, however the new PSN+ optional subscription service may improve the service over time.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:26 pm

:lol: I must be the ONLY PS3 (on here at least) who does`nt use mine to play Blu-rays or upscale DVD`s-Use my 360 HD DVD player and still buy the cheaper DVD films.Media wise?Not my area either, so gonna advise you on the Game front:GO FOR IT!. Sony finally waking up, developers starting to use PS3 as a lead development platform, not port from 360.Hell even PS3 haters VALVE now getting on board.Some bloody fantastic stuff on PSN :Gravity Crash, Shatter, Joe Danger, Flower Wipeout Hd+Fury to name but a few.Plus you have the PS3 exclusives, option of 3D gaming if that`s yer thang (Sony very keen to push this).Do use my 360 a fair bit, but PS3 still my platform of choice.Blu-ray for games?Flawed medium, but seen differences between heavy compression on 360 DVD games and PS3 B.r equiv.already (F.F 13) Rage and it`s mega-textures, will not only look better on PS3, but 1 disc unlike the 4? DVD`s it`ll need on 360.So developers do require the extra storage space now and then.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:28 pm

i can only add one point as i don't have an 360 so can't offer any comparison,if any new blu ray features are released then the ps3's blu ray player can be upgraded through firmware update which has happened once that i know of since release,something a dedicated blu ray (expensive online capable players aside)cannot.
Last edited by Hitman_HalStep on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Yes you should!

Aside from the massive list of cracking exclusives the PS3 is the ultimate media centre (imo). I've got hundreds of vids stored, all my pictures, loads of my music and what's not on there is streamed from my laptop :D add that to the Blu Ray player, Video store, music video app thing & internet access and it's the dogs bollocks!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:37 pm

:D I`d ALSO add:It`s a easy as eating pancakes to fit in a HDD of YOUR Size and choice and far bloody cheaper than the 360 Equiv.IF you go for a non-slim PS3. (Can you upgrade HDD on Slim? :oops:).My 40G model, soon had a 250G beauty put in, drive cost me £45 year or so ago.