Chrono Trigger DS

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Chrono Trigger DS

Post by crusto » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Ive just impulse bought this on evil bay for £9. Brand new, apparently, and shipped from hong kong. Hopefully it will be cosher... Anyway's, Ive heard loads of good stuff about this game and as ive never played it before im looking forward to playing it.

Is that a good deal by the way? Ive seen the immortal words "mega rare" associated with the ds version of this game. If thats true then this deals seems too good to be true.

Eat your nans pants

JazzFunk

Re: Chrono Trigger DS

Post by JazzFunk » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:24 pm

^It's a great game, NOT "mega rare" on DS (though pretty rare on SNES). I hope your copy is kosher but have to say I initially played the DS version on an R4 card and my save corrupted after 10 hours or so and I ended up buying the original UK one instead (as I should've done in the first place, anyway).

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:51 am

£9 brand new from Hong Kong? Seems rather cheap.....
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:31 am

I'd be surprised if it was rare, whenever I've looked at DS games on the racks (admittedly not for a few months or so) it seemed fairly common. I have a copy but haven't got very far into it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:19 pm

nakamura wrote:£9 brand new from Hong Kong? Seems rather cheap.....
Its cosher thank god. But its the first "sealed" game I have ever opened to find the instructions ever so slightly dog eared! They did say brand new in the listing but im not so sure to be honest. It's still in good nick though and for £9 im not too fussed about it.

Im a couple of hours in now and im very impressed. Time for another go...

Eat your nans pants

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:27 pm

There's a sealed copy in my local HMV for £7 and a pre-owned copy for err...£20+ :shock:

Would have picked it up but I'd spent quite a bit today so regretfully, left it :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:09 pm

I'd have had that £7 new one at HMV in a heartbeat.

I'd check your copy carefully crusto, I wouldn't have been brave enough to buy one from Hong Kong.

How was it sealed, was it that proper "scrunchy" plastic you find on games and DVDs over here? I was sent a "sealed" Minish Cap from a playtrader, but it was a sealed differently from games and dvds you would find in the shops, with a more stretchy sort of plastic, which at first I just put down to being the US version. But once I got clued up I had to get a refund from play.com, as the seller didn't want to know. He said he got his stock from a "well known internet website"- ie ebay.

Some of the knockoffs go to great lengths. I actually tried to buy Chrono Trigger DS last weekend from someone on preloved after checking it was complete, and therefore hopefully genuine. But I went to Liverpool to pick it up only to discover it was a counterfeit copy :( , even though it was boxed with instructions as the seller had said.

I really don't think the seller even knew, when I pointed it out he let me keep it for free, for my trouble. So now I've got a dodgy copy.

So far it's working but it takes 45 seconds to save which is suspect. The cart itself fits a little tighter in the DS than my genuine carts and the gold pins are a little longer than normal. The print quality of the cover, instructions and cartridge cover is grainy and just poor overall. The cover is the US version but it's in a clear european box instead of the black one.

Even though I got it for free (well, plus the travelling time) I'm hesistant to put any time into it incase the save file fails on me. I wasn't that desperate to play the game anyway but I thought it was worth a go at £10 so I am a bit disapointed now. I'm going to have to see if I can find a new £7 one at my HMV. :D
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:17 am

Yeah, very brave getting it from Hong Kong. From what I've experienced and heard you have about a 95% chance of one of two things when ordering from Hong Kong/China:

1) It's a counterfeit copy.

2) They overcharge you ridiculous amounts on shipping.

Seems like you got away with decent shipping costs...only one more hurdle to jump now.

As for rarity, the game is still available in pretty much any game store you walk into...I don't think that can ever count as even remotely 'rare'. Although it is certainly holding it's value.
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 pm

hong kong = FAKE!!!
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:25 am

I'll tell you though, some of those bootlegs are done incredibly well. I bought a DVD box set of Cowboy Bebop the series and it looked better than the real thing! Packaging was really awesome!

I've had good and bad experiences getting stuff from hong kong. I once ordered Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for GBA and got it but the copy said Nindendo not Nintendo. I immediately demanded my money back and threatened to report to Nintendo and Konami. I got it back pretty quick.