shmups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Re: shmups

Post by felgekarp » Wed May 11, 2011 8:47 am

Not neccesarily in order but :-

Ordyne
Slap Fight
Dangun Feveron

I wouldn't say I was particularly brilliant at any of these but they all clicked with me the first time I played them.
Splink!

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed May 11, 2011 9:00 am

Ooh, tough. I've been trying lots recently, but I do like the classics.

R-Type (Arcade)
Raiden II (PS1 in Raiden Project)
Chronos (ZX Spectrum)

It's a very tough call as there are some other great ones around, but once you try MAME and play some of your old favourites to death with infinite credits, they begin to either fade (Thunder Cross II) or frustrate (Sexy Parodius).

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 am

Ouch made this tough for myself too!

At the moment in no particular order:

Border Down

Gradius Gaiden

Giaires

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed May 11, 2011 9:44 am

My top 3 would change daily.

At the mo I'd say.

1 Thunderforce 3 (MD)
2 Salamander 2 (PSP)
3 Zynaps (Speccy 48k)
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

guv859

Post by guv859 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:49 am

2D shooters are one of the few leftovers from when I first got into games, and they certainly have a large and loyal following. The problem I have with them that they require repetition & memorising in much the same way as leap-of-faith side scrolling action games did back in the day, and that's the reason 3D games like Tomb Raider couldn't have arrived at a better moment. I'd become sick of them. Of course, it's exactly what I find tiresome about shoot-em-ups that devotees find wonderful, glorious and pure. Now that retro games are so cheap (usually), I really don't mind them nearly as much, and will happily buy these games for a few quid, give them a bit of a play, and forget about them (sorry!). I can see their appeal - often lovely graphics, undiluted non-casual gameplay, and hardcore challenges - it's just that I prefer checkpoints and progression to memory tests and repetition.
Bye

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Thu May 12, 2011 3:45 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Ok then chaps deliberately hard question just for fun:

What are your top 3 shmups of all time?

I know that this is completely subjective but I'm sure we'll be all interested in each others choices.
How about a top 300?
Man, top 3? I'll have to go with the shmups i've pumped the most amount of hours into.

1. Ketsui Extra - absolutely without a doubt the hardest shmup I think Ive ever played, but there's something so beautiful about putting yourself through the pain of dying over and over, and totally worth it just for that feeling you get the first time you clear stage 1 with a no miss.

2. Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 - My first bullet hell and Cave experience. I love this game

3. Deathsmiles IIX - Maybe hard to believe I've played this more than the original, but I 1CC'd this game over and over for weeks on end and still never got to some of insanity score levels on the shmups forum. It takes a bit of a bashing from Cave fans but it has a certain charm to it, and is alot of fun.

In regards to a true top 3.. i really don't think I could narrow it down, but Gunhed on the PC Engine would make it. I actually don't own this but it was the first game that made me take a serious interest in the genre, so I will always hold this in high regard.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu May 12, 2011 4:23 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Ok then chaps deliberately hard question just for fun:

What are your top 3 shmups of all time?

I know that this is completely subjective but I'm sure we'll be all interested in each others choices.
Fooking hell....

Erm,

1- Deathsmiles, fantastic game with simplistic games play, yet some incredibly difficult scoring. Pls, I like the bosses

2- Bio Hazard Battle - MegaDrive, perhaps not the best by any stretch but as a child I spent more hours on this shooter than any other

3- Mushihimesama Futari 1.5, I liked the bosses.

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 am

1. Axelay
2. Ikaruga
3. UN Squadron (snes)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:33 pm

joefish wrote:It's a very tough call as there are some other great ones around, but once you try MAME and play some of your old favourites to death with infinite credits, they begin to either fade (Thunder Cross II) or frustrate (Sexy Parodius).
I found this too, but once I started league play and adjusted to the strict 1 credit rule I found I enjoyed all of the games a lot more. Pumping credits just removes any challenge or sense of achievement and sticking to 1cc recreates that. Its also closer to how I'd play in a real arcade. Bar one or two games, I'd almost always just put 1 credit in before moving on to spread the love.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Thu May 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
joefish wrote:It's a very tough call as there are some other great ones around, but once you try MAME and play some of your old favourites to death with infinite credits, they begin to either fade (Thunder Cross II) or frustrate (Sexy Parodius).
I found this too, but once I started league play and adjusted to the strict 1 credit rule I found I enjoyed all of the games a lot more. Pumping credits just removes any challenge or sense of achievement and sticking to 1cc recreates that. Its also closer to how I'd play in a real arcade. Bar one or two games, I'd almost always just put 1 credit in before moving on to spread the love.
Exactly my thoughts. Credit feeding any game defeats any real purpose. And nearly all home arcade ports have infinite credits. I generally play for bettering my personal score on 1 credit. If I do happen to get good or 1CC a game and still have interest in playing it, then I search forums for a greater score challenge.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm

I'd agree that credit feeding sucks out the fun. I do a kind of similar cheat on MAME though with games I want to practise at, put save states at the start of levels, providing I've cleared the previous one without dying. After I can complete them all without dying I'll start playing complete playthroughs. Its helped me 1CC more games - I just don't have the patience or time to practise a game all the way through each time.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Fri May 13, 2011 9:22 am

oli_lar wrote:I'd agree that credit feeding sucks out the fun. I do a kind of similar cheat on MAME though with games I want to practise at, put save states at the start of levels, providing I've cleared the previous one without dying. After I can complete them all without dying I'll start playing complete playthroughs. Its helped me 1CC more games - I just don't have the patience or time to practise a game all the way through each time.
That's a good idea for Practicing. Hadn't thought of doing that.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri May 13, 2011 12:35 pm

I picked up Steel Dragon EX on PS2 the other day for £1.50.

Not the best shooter ive played but deffo fun for the price. The EX mode looks damn nice too!

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Sat May 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Joey wrote:I picked up Steel Dragon EX on PS2 the other day for £1.50.

Not the best shooter ive played but deffo fun for the price. The EX mode looks damn nice too!
One I need. I'll prob try to get the JAP version though, the pal ports seem to be hit and miss from the ones ive played on ps2 sadly.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 16, 2011 6:59 am

Joey wrote:I picked up Steel Dragon EX on PS2 the other day for £1.50.

I've got a copy of this that's never worked!! Another CEX purchase, am I right thinking this is an enhanced port of Shienryu?