shmups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AmidstStorm

Re: shmups

Post by AmidstStorm » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:45 am

I am going for a complete shmup collection on all major consoles. Think that about says how I feel about them.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:31 am

The new toy I am currently working on probably indicates that I like Shmups. Try and guess which game really got me into them :D Just needs wiring to the hacked 360 controller now :)
Attachments
262354272.jpg
262354272.jpg (65.61 KiB) Viewed 327 times

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:43 am

AmidstStorm wrote:I am going for a complete shmup collection on all major consoles. Think that about says how I feel about them.
i've been trying to write a half decent PC one for a couple of years, that's how i feel. =-)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:07 am

Edwards80 wrote:The new toy I am currently working on probably indicates that I like Shmups. Try and guess which game really got me into them :D Just needs wiring to the hacked 360 controller now :)
Ahh R-Type did it for me too, wicked custom controller - I always wanted to make an Ikaruga one and I will some day!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:44 pm

snowkatt wrote:i stil dislike shumps they never clicked for me and the only ones i will play are layer secion and darius gaiden and 1942
Being one of the younger members of our up, is it possible this is because you grew up in bullet hell era?

The examples you quote are more 'traditional' in gameplay.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:25 pm

TMR wrote:
AmidstStorm wrote:I am going for a complete shmup collection on all major consoles. Think that about says how I feel about them.
i've been trying to write a half decent PC one for a couple of years, that's how i feel. =-)
Ah thats cool. i play quite a few Indie/Doujin shmups. Is there somewhere I can try yours out, or is it still work in progress?

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm

AmidstStorm wrote:
TMR wrote:i've been trying to write a half decent PC one for a couple of years, that's how i feel. =-)
Ah thats cool. i play quite a few Indie/Doujin shmups. Is there somewhere I can try yours out, or is it still work in progress?
At the moment i'm taking the third swing at writing the core engine so there's no actual game there... in fact it doesn't even have timeline management in place so right now there are just objects being test created to get a rough idea of enemy control schemes and test the first drafts of the player's weaponry a bit; even that needs a bit of thinking about on the third go, i spent over an hour trying to work out the best way to deal with smart bombs earlier today!

The previous version of the engine looked like this but was put aside because, after all the effort i put into making it very flexible, it became unwieldy to work with!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:36 pm

If only someone had access to a regular magazine, we'd see a revival of the development diaries made famous by Minter and co. ;)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:If only someone had access to a regular magazine, we'd see a revival of the development diaries made famous by Minter and co. ;)
Good grief.
I've only recently got back into reading the mag and already you're trying to turn me away! The nerds don't need that stuff in magazines anymore, they've got the internet for that. And a diary about some minor league homebrew shmup!? Blogs man, blogs!
GOOD GRIEF!
:shock:
Isn't the appalling Amstrad thread enough!? :shock:

Blimey.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:34 am

Crunchy wrote:they've got the internet for that.
May as well cancel all mags then, there's no point any more ;)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Crunchy wrote:they've got the internet for that.
May as well cancel all mags then, there's no point any more ;)
From a customer point of view, that's a nice summary of the state of the magazine and newspaper industry these days tbh. :wink:

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 am

Been playing quite a bit of R-Type on the GBA in preparation for a Youtube video I'm pulling together, it really strikes me how hard the developers tried to make the port faithful to the arcade version. Ok there are some corners cut due to the limitations of the machine but most importantly the game feels like R-Type and the spirit of the arcade experience is captured perfectly.

This got me thinking, what is your favourite shmup conversion that makes the most out of the machine it was ported to? I'm thinking conversions of games that were brought out on underpowered or just plain different home consoles, Truxton on the Megadrive strikes me as another great example.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:08 am

By far my most played genre, but by no means my favourite.

With smups you can just 'pick up and play' and game play term that isn't at home in the currentlt generation, with generally only directional, shoot and bomb buttons, it's a genre that really takes be back to my childhood, comparing to other games likThuderforce, Gynoug and BioHazard.

For myself, it's the early memories with my father playing such genre of games, which in turn has lead me to love the genre.

I've 1cc'd many a game now, and have a back cataloge of shmups to play.

top 3 favourites?
Parodius
Deathsmiles
Twinkle star sprites

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Been playing quite a bit of R-Type on the GBA in preparation for a Youtube video I'm pulling together, it really strikes me how hard the developers tried to make the port faithful to the arcade version. Ok there are some corners cut due to the limitations of the machine but most importantly the game feels like R-Type and the spirit of the arcade experience is captured perfectly.
You mean the GBA version of R-Type III? Or do you mean R-Type DX on the Gameboy Color?

Cos R-Type DX was a cracking effort. Had bags of fun playing that on my GBC when it was my only handheld, though the action gets a little cramped at times.

This got me thinking, what is your favourite shmup conversion that makes the most out of the machine it was ported to? I'm thinking conversions of games that were brought out on underpowered or just plain different home consoles, Truxton on the Megadrive strikes me as another great example.
Terra Cresta on NES is an excellent conversion that can stand proudly on its own. Slap Fight on the Megadrive was great too, with its whole extra mode.
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:36 am

TMR wrote:
AmidstStorm wrote:
TMR wrote:i've been trying to write a half decent PC one for a couple of years, that's how i feel. =-)
At the moment i'm taking the third swing at writing the core engine so there's no actual game there... in fact it doesn't even have timeline management in place so right now there are just objects being test created to get a rough idea of enemy control schemes and test the first drafts of the player's weaponry a bit; even that needs a bit of thinking about on the third go, i spent over an hour trying to work out the best way to deal with smart bombs earlier today!

The previous version of the engine looked like this but was put aside because, after all the effort i put into making it very flexible, it became unwieldy to work with!
I like the parallax-style beams you fly under :)