shmups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thesubcon3

Re: shmups

Post by thesubcon3 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:45 am

Honestly shmups are an acquired taste to say the least. I love em! But I grew up with a copy of River Raid and later Life Force in my collections. Latest game I played was Deathsmiles on Xbox360 which is a fun horizontal. Generally I prefer verts though.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 pm

thesubcon3 wrote:Latest game I played was Deathsmiles on Xbox360 which is a fun horizontal.
Me want European release!!!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:57 pm

I love shumps (I can understand why they are not everyone's cup of tea particularly the newer bullet hell titles) but for me they are one of the classic gaming genres along with platformers, one on one fighters, scrolling beat em ups and puzzle games.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Shmups are nothing more than bullet hell boring these days :(
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Denny Haynes wrote:Shmups are nothing more than bullet hell boring these days :(
Apart from the ones that aren't, of course...

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:46 am

Raiden Fighter Aces on 360 delayed again
Thank you for your recent Play.com order for Raiden Fighters Aces

We have recently been informed by the manufacturer of this product that the release date has been changed to 24-Sep-2010. We have updated this information on site and will endeavour to process your order in readiness to arrive with you on the release date.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you in this matter and thank you for your patience and valued custom.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Team

Play.com

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:30 am

Anyone made some interesting shmup purchases recently?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:11 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Anyone made some interesting shmup purchases recently?
if you count castle shikigami 2 for 1 euro because i couldnt find anything better
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:17 am

The 360 version of Radirgy, which I think you've got, I've not had a go on it yet though. Have you tried that Thunder Cross out yet?
Splink!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:24 am

snowkatt wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Anyone made some interesting shmup purchases recently?
if you count castle shikigami 2 for 1 euro because i couldnt find anything better
I think that's my favourite Shiki game - the DC version is ace. Great price too what do you think?

I must admit I think the PS port of the original is bloody awful!
felgekarp wrote:The 360 version of Radirgy, which I think you've got, I've not had a go on it yet though. Have you tried that Thunder Cross out yet?

Ahh yes great game, I personally spent quite a bit of time playing it last month.

Yep I tried Thunder Cross the other day, it's a solid shooter. The game is not the most original entry into the shmup genre but it's a pixel perfect port of the arcade game with a focus on authenticity. It's certainly very pretty and quite bloody tough!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Rayne wrote:Schmups seem to be made for anal & obsessive gamers that either enjoy owning something that had a print run of 6 copies and is only playable in Swahili or enjoy scoring systems that make as much sense as a zombie on a unicycle.

It doesn't matter how many I play, they all zoom way over my head. These Bullet Hell ones in particular are rubbish, it's just one gigantic memory test, once you figure out where to be you get a little bit futher, rinse and repeat. Boring or what? :shock:

I did enjoy Ikaruga for a while though, the flipping mechanic thing was genius
I don't really get why you've formed several of these opinions. By Swahili I take it you are referring to Japanese - about 1/8 of shmups have any sort of Japanese in at all, even then it will just be the menu. Working out 5 different options in a menu that is generally the same in every game ever isn't hard.

Lots of shmups use memorisation true but it ain't just bullet hell: ie R-Type. Besides most older games are part memory test/reaction skill. How is a boss in a platformer, FPS, etc etc, any different? They all involve learning what the boss is about to throw at you an counter it. Ikaruga has a hell of a lot of memorisation to it.

About scoring mechanics, some people like in depth scoring, if you bother to learn it it is much more rewarding. There are lots of modern shmups with simple scoring though, its generally just Cave who have complex ones.

How many shmups have you played more than once/a few minutes? There are plenty of games that take time to click, I'm not just talking about shmups.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:06 pm

To be fair the scoring mechanic in some of the more complex games can be ignored if you aren't a fan of High score chasing.

I usually play through a shooter just trying to 1cc it. Once I manage that (or give up!) I switch to playing for score.

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Rayne wrote:Schmups seem to be made for anal & obsessive gamers that either enjoy owning something that had a print run of 6 copies and is only playable in Swahili or enjoy scoring systems that make as much sense as a zombie on a unicycle.
Swahili Zombie Space Unicycle - people shouldn't give me ideas. =-)

i wouldn't call myself obsess... no hang on, i would call myself obsessive but that's just generally; i play shoot 'em ups because i want to blow sh!t up and the simplest and, for me, most satisfying route i've found to that goal is 2D scrolling shooters. Scoring systems are, to me, a guide to finding ways to blow stuff up more efficiently and if i don't rank on the global highscores i won't lose a second of sleep.
oli_lar wrote:Lots of shmups use memorisation true but it ain't just bullet hell: ie R-Type. Besides most older games are part memory test/reaction skill. How is a boss in a platformer, FPS, etc etc, any different? They all involve learning what the boss is about to throw at you an counter it. Ikaruga has a hell of a lot of memorisation to it.
Even the games considered memorisation heavy can be played on instinct to a degree, i play a metric feckton of games and only tend to memorise a few vestiges of what everyone else seems to, spending the rest of my time playing on adrenalin and hand-to-eye reactions that really should've conked out over a decade ago.
Last edited by TMR on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sg1000

Post by sg1000 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:32 am

I used to dislike shmups, but they've grown on me. There great games for challenge and layer section is the game that changed it all for me. Now I play shumps to death

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 am

sg1000 wrote:I used to dislike shmups, but they've grown on me. There great games for challenge and layer section is the game that changed it all for me. Now I play shumps to death
i stil dislike shumps they never clicked for me and the only ones i will play are layer secion and darius gaiden and 1942
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !