shmups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: shmups

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 am

Has anyone played the old DOS games : Raptor : Call of the Shadows and Tyrian? Did anyone have any memories of them?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 am

I bought Raptor from GOG about a year ago. Seemed alright I guess. Controls felt a bit off but I can't recall if that was either mouse or keyboard.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Question for fellow shmuppers - Mamoru Kun on PS3, has anyone played it, got any feedback either way? I think AmidstStorm did a mini roundup of PS3 shmups with this included on his blog a while back. It's popped up on Genkivideogames and seems like something I'd enjoy.
Not played it but I thought it looked like a bullet-hell version of the awesome Twinkle Tale. Looks really decent.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 am

Sel Feena wrote:Question for fellow shmuppers - Mamoru Kun on PS3, has anyone played it, got any feedback either way? I think AmidstStorm did a mini roundup of PS3 shmups with this included on his blog a while back. It's popped up on Genkivideogames and seems like something I'd enjoy.
I've got the 360 version but the PS3 version is the definitive last revision, I seem to remember there are some gameplay tweaks and screen optimisations which mean it plays better on the Sony Console. If you can get the PS3 limited version for any kind of decent price snap it up because importers tend to sell this one for a real premium for some reason (very low print run I think). There's a best version too that should be quite reasonable. It plays like a scrolling shooter but you can move your character around a bit like in Ikari Warriors or Outzone but from a cute-em-up stance. There's also branching levels - it's fun but definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:33 am

I'm liking the Twinkle Tale comparison. Think I'll give this a shot - it'll be nice to have something a bit more respectable on my PS3 alongside Gal Gun! :lol:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Next on my 'must get' list beside Mamoru Kun is Gunhound EX from G. Rev. Looks far more my thing than Under Defeat. :)

Youtube
Review

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 am

Sel Feena wrote:Next on my 'must get' list beside Mamoru Kun is Gunhound EX from G. Rev. Looks far more my thing than Under Defeat. :)

Youtube
Review

My copy arrived yesterday and it's brilliant, very reminiscent of the Valken series. Damn good fun

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 am

I recently have got into Ryu Jin. It seems more forgiving then most yet still challenging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiwI3uHR8As

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:50 am

Just had a payment request for my copy of PS3 Ketsui Limited Edition which is due out on Friday. I've played the 360 port to death but I'm still looking forward to the Ps3 version.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 pm

^ Umming and aahing about getting that in, need to watch more vids of it first. Genki have come up trumps again, with a copy of Soreyuke Burunyanman Portable set to one side for me. Picking it up next week, looks great fun from YouTube vids I've watched, although perhaps a little on the easy side?

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Seeing those two games next to each other has made me realize that we may never see a shmup as manly as Ketsui again.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:47 pm

:P Though...yeah, I see your point. Even DoDonPachi has gone that way a little bit. And Qute seemed to feel the need to stick anime silliness into the mix with Ginga Force. Under Defeat HD? That was all military-type stuff? Although that's not new IP. Hmm. :?

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:24 am

I like a bit of anime silliness in my shmups - it makes dealing wide-scale death and destruction a more cheery affair :)
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 am

weakboson wrote:Seeing those two games next to each other has made me realize that we may never see a shmup as manly as Ketsui again.
The upcoming Redux doesn't seem to have stupid anime girls in it but I suspect you may be right even the mighty Moss had some in Caladrius. Booo

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 am

Caladrius Blaze Limited Edition (PS3) has been dispatched, can't wait.