shmups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fightersmegamix

Re: shmups

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 am

I picked up under defeat HD for 360. So far it's no more than ok, arcade plays well, the other mode is just a zoomed in widescreen version. Only one character. I'll probably get into it but seems a bit dull so far, 5 levels which are a little too long and that's your lot. The value is in replays of course, but £30 is a little steep for this to sell to anyone other than enthusiasts.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 am

speedlolita wrote:http://ready-up.net/reviews/under-defeat-hd/

Check out this lovely review of Under Defeat! :P
To be honest he has many a valid point, but this is undermined when he doesn't go into the actual core of the game. It's clear he doesn't know the Shoot 'em up genre. Because he finds the game difficult, he marks it down. That in shmup land is not a good move.

I hate Ikaruga however, if he'd have said Guwange then he'd have a point.

Rising star made a booby with this game, Under Defeat was never going to be as well received as Cave games, and at £30 for so very little it seems like they're taking the censored.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:16 am

How can you hate Ikaruga? :P

I've heard it's a pretty marmite game. Perhaps it's puzzle element.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:00 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:I feel like asking another shmup related question of you chaps:

What do you feel is a really underrated shmup?
Since I've been picking up arcade stuff I've picked up 3 that I think are a bit underrated, Ordyne, Gigandes and Boogie Wings.
Splink!

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:08 am

speedlolita wrote:How can you hate Ikaruga? :P

I've heard it's a pretty marmite game. Perhaps it's puzzle element.

Easily. I cant freaking stand it myself either. To be honest, I dont like *any* of Treasure's shmups. Not even one.

As for Under Defeat.... it coulda used maybe one more mode than it had, or something like that, but other than that.... it's pretty typical for this genre, in terms of the amount of content. I like it quite alot, myself. A nice, non-irritating scoring system, tons of chaos, good level design, high challenge without ever being unfair, and to top it all off.... it uses things like helicopters and boats and tanks and things instead of waves of small girls shooting at each other for some braindead reason.

It's no Eschatos, but I like it more than many Cave titles.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:03 am

Quick question RE Dodonpachi Resurrection. I noticed the Ver 1.5 DLC and was wondering what the difference is?

On a related note, is it possible to grab DLC for import titles on a UK Live 360? Would really like the Bullet Soul DLC.

Shmupwise, I have recently really enjoyed Trouble Witches, the presentation is superb IMO and the game plays well. Although it has to be said the English voice acting is just...wow. 'Unintentionally hilarious' is probably the kindest way to put it. :P

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am

Can someone recommend me some really good story-driven shmups?

Any format really.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Quick question RE Dodonpachi Resurrection. I noticed the Ver 1.5 DLC and was wondering what the difference is?

On a related note, is it possible to grab DLC for import titles on a UK Live 360? Would really like the Bullet Soul DLC.

Shmupwise, I have recently really enjoyed Trouble Witches, the presentation is superb IMO and the game plays well. Although it has to be said the English voice acting is just...wow. 'Unintentionally hilarious' is probably the kindest way to put it. :P

DDP, do you mean the 1.51 mode? If that's the one you're thinking of.... dont bother. There's some differences that SOUND kinda neat, but in the end what it REALLY boils down to is screwball design ideas from Yagawa (the one who comes up with suiciding in some of Raizing's titles) that MOSTLY just cause milking, as well as lots and lots of bombing of Hibachi. It's pretty terrible, really. Differences are only in the scoring.

And yes, it SHOULD be possible to grab DLC for imports, but you likely have to make a Japanese account, and use that to do it.

samhain81 wrote:Can someone recommend me some really good story-driven shmups?

Any format really.

.....those exist?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:35 am

Got a spare copy of PAL Strikers 1945 1 and 2 Arcade Revisions for the PS2 does anyone want it for the price of P&P? If you do PM me.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:47 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Got a spare copy of PAL Strikers 1945 1 and 2 Arcade Revisions for the PS2 does anyone want it for the price of P&P? If you do PM me.
would love it mate if you dont mind :D

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:58 am

samhain81 wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Got a spare copy of PAL Strikers 1945 1 and 2 Arcade Revisions for the PS2 does anyone want it for the price of P&P? If you do PM me.

would love it mate if you dont mind :D
It's yours then, PM me your address and I'll get it sent out on Monday (maybe Saturday depending how pi$$ed I get tonight) can't see postage being much more than a quid or two.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Any of you chaps seen this? https://turbulenz.com/games/scorerush-mp
Thread by developer: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43683

It's a free online multiplayer version of Score Rush, which is a really ace twin stick shmup originally released on XBLIG. Single player is also available and fun, but it'd be super cool to play it with some of you folks. My user name is Weak-Boson on there if anyone wants a game :)

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:19 am

just got my copy of under defeat HD.

i think adding HD to the title is stretching it a bit....it looks like a straight port of DC version to me. they haven't upped the resolution on the majority of the textures and there is still some odd looking stuff in the game ( the trees have always looked a bit rough - they could of fixed those surely).

it is a good game though (not quite as good as zero gunner 2 IMO) and it costs a lot less than the DC version. it has that old school shooter thing going on rather than bullet hell which is always a bonus. upping the resolution does bring out the little details you couldn't quite see before - stuff like cables snapping and shrapnel hitting the water when you blow stuff up.

i can see why people would say it's not worth the money though, considering the amount of content you get in some other titles for £30.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 am

Misery wrote:it SHOULD be possible to grab DLC for imports, but you likely have to make a Japanese account, and use that to do it.
Nice one Mis, I can at least see the DLC when I'm on my Jap account. Haven't tried buying the Bulletsoul DLC yet.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:57 am

Question for fellow shmuppers - Mamoru Kun on PS3, has anyone played it, got any feedback either way? I think AmidstStorm did a mini roundup of PS3 shmups with this included on his blog a while back. It's popped up on Genkivideogames and seems like something I'd enjoy.