shmups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mootown

Re: shmups

Post by Mootown » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 am

I'm not sure how to describe it, but on each level there are 'switches' to push which alter the course of the level, and also the boss at the end of the level.
It sort of reminds me a little of Gunhed mixed with Aleste, the graphics are reminiscent of Akira/Blade Runner in places too.
As it's Tecnosoft, the music rocks - in fact, the end boss fight music is the original version that was remixed for TF5 (Judgement Sword)
It's NOT worth the ridiculous prices on ebay, but I really enjoy it. It's fairly easy, that's it's only downside.

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am

gmintyfresh wrote:I feel like asking another shmup related question of you chaps:

What do you feel is a really underrated shmup?

Pink Sweets.

Which is kinda funny, since I didnt actually like Ibara much; but Pink Sweets is pretty great, even if it is rather aggravating at times. The arrange mode added to the 360 version just makes it even better, as both modes are great.

Also, Under Defeat.

I dont hear much about this one usually; I would occasionally see someone mention it on the shmups.com forums way back when, but that was about it. After having spent extensive time with it myself, this has quickly become one of my all-time favorites, though it is still outdone by Futari, DFK, and Eschatos. Still, it's bloody high praise indeed coming from me. Wonderful scoring system, great stage design, a bazillion bullets everywhere, and a boss that's ALMOST as irritating as Ketsui's accursed demon boat... it's got everything! My only problem with it is that the PS3 port DOESNT DO REPLAY SAVING. Argh. Dunno how they could get that bit wrong.... Also, the hitbox on the helicopter is hard to keep track of at first. Like any danmaku sort of game it's ultra-tiny, but it's not quite where I always tend to think it is.

Under Defeat is also the one I've been playing alot of lately. Most of the game time spent so far shouting swearwords at most of stage 3, including the boss from hell at the end of that stage. It would be a little less irritating if it wasnt for the practice thing.... spent a whole pile of time in practice mode on that stage, and then I go to do an actual run, get to that stage, and almost IMMEDIATELY it throws enemies at me that DID NOT show up when I was playing the practice mode. This game has a rather unusual way of handling rank, really....

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Mootown wrote:I'm not sure how to describe it, but on each level there are 'switches' to push which alter the course of the level, and also the boss at the end of the level.
It sort of reminds me a little of Gunhed mixed with Aleste, the graphics are reminiscent of Akira/Blade Runner in places too.
As it's Tecnosoft, the music rocks - in fact, the end boss fight music is the original version that was remixed for TF5 (Judgement Sword)
It's NOT worth the ridiculous prices on ebay, but I really enjoy it. It's fairly easy, that's it's only downside.
cheers - sounds like something i might enjoy, if i could get it cheap (big if)

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:I feel like asking another shmup related question of you chaps:

Sonic Wings Special on the Saturn. Why?

12 characters
26 ships

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:11 am

Some fine choices there, I've got some great ideas of games to try out. Personally I'd choose Metal Black, there's something about that shooter I love. I think its the over the top bosses and the chunky graphical style, I also think the beam weapon looks and works great when unleashed.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Some fine choices there, I've got some great ideas of games to try out. Personally I'd choose Metal Black, there's something about that shooter I love. I think its the over the top bosses and the chunky graphical style, I also think the beam weapon looks and works great when unleashed.
That is one crazy looking game. I played it once but never got into it but im gonna buy it for my Saturn next month and give it some more attention.

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:53 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Some fine choices there, I've got some great ideas of games to try out. Personally I'd choose Metal Black, there's something about that shooter I love. I think its the over the top bosses and the chunky graphical style, I also think the beam weapon looks and works great when unleashed.

I hadnt heard of this one before, had a look at it, saw the first level, and just.... what.... the hell. This is one of the strangest-looking shmups I've seen in a long time. And that boss fight is all sorts of screwed up.

Ooh, I think I need this one. About damn time I start grabbing Saturn games anyway; I have a JP Saturn and all of three games for it, sorta keep forgetting it's even there....

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:02 pm

i played metal black on the saturn quite a bit and came to the conclusion it was fairly average.

theres a few nice bits in it (theres lots of naff stuff in it) but i'd rather play G darius on psone, which has a very similar beam type weapon system but is a much better game.

however if you are looking to collect as well as play, i suppose its quite collectable and not super expensive.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Misery wrote:Ooh, I think I need this one. About damn time I start grabbing Saturn games anyway; I have a JP Saturn and all of three games for it, sorta keep forgetting it's even there....
Prepare your anus for the price.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Hyper Duel, Arcade/Saturn. Mr Town will know this one as we've both got a bit of a collective boner for Technosoft shmups. Maybe not so much underrated, more overlooked.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Smurph wrote:

Hyper Duel, Arcade/Saturn. Mr Town will know this one as we've both got a bit of a collective boner for Technosoft shmups. Maybe not so much underrated, more overlooked.
F**king love Hyper Duel.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 am

speedlolita wrote:
Misery wrote:Ooh, I think I need this one. About damn time I start grabbing Saturn games anyway; I have a JP Saturn and all of three games for it, sorta keep forgetting it's even there....
Prepare your anus for the price.

I bought (well, had it built anyway) a PC for $1400 this week.... this does not appear to have done overmuch to my funds. As such, not too concerned about the price for one game. As it is, I see copies of that game available on ebay for about $65..... that's pretty cheap, actually. I'm used to paying anywhere from 80-120 for imports. And shmups are generally worth it, heh.

.....and I have no idea what any of that translates to in.... er.... whatever currency it is that most of you seem to use.

I'd probably be buying more games for the Saturn in general, but I keep forgetting it's even here.... which happens, when you've got a whole TWO games for it. I aint a very good collector, really.... even when I have alot of games for something, they kinda end up strewn all over the room in random places. Or they end up in the cordball.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:46 am

Smurph wrote:

Good choice, love Saturn mode with the tarted up graphics - nicely balanced game. Blast Wind cool too, but decidedly oddball

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:49 am

Riddler wrote:
That is one crazy looking game. I played it once but never got into it but im gonna buy it for my Saturn next month and give it some more attention.
It's certainly unconventional, I really like the simplicity of the game and the lovely setpieces. Took me an age to get it at a decent price, but I was very glad when I did, best home port too on the Saturn apparently.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 am

http://ready-up.net/reviews/under-defeat-hd/

Check out this lovely review of Under Defeat! :P
Logged out 15/07/2014.