Games that start great and get progressively worse

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
JetSetWilly
Posts: 9535
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: We Must Perform A Quirkafleeg!
Contact:

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Soldier of Fortune: Payback. Looks good, and then you start to play it. Very shallow, and it's clear that the dismemberment and blood are only a gimick that don't really work as well as they should. And I really liked the first SoF and Double Helix, as they were enjoyable. This one is just crap. Plus about 75-80 percent of the achievements are multiplayer :roll: Total crap. Not even worth the tenner I paid.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8318
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:54 pm

pratty wrote:
Freestyler wrote:To me, Warrior Within is the result of the Marketing Dept getting hold of The Sands of Time and wanting to sell more copies. So it went all dark and violent, and tried way too hard to appeal to the "Cool" brigade. The same brigade it has to be said that change their phones, clothes and shoes every month and so have the attention span of a gnat anyway. Foolish humans!
I couldn't agree more, I'm playing Two Thrones right now and they did a good job of giving the Prince a "dark side" without spoiling his personality from Sands of Time.

I've seen Two thrones described as an "apology" for Warrior Within which is the least they could do and I'll give them credit for that. They should remake Warrior Within as there was a decent game in there behind all the "mature" nonsense.
Disagree with both of you. If you ignore the obviously aimed at teenage boys 'mature' nonsense, Warrior Within is actually an excellent game and is my favouite of the Sands Of Time trilogy. Excellently designed levels (well, more like one huge level), really clever puzzles that made good use of the time travel aspect, and a couple of different endings to boot. The first and third games were still great but extremely linear compared to the second. I honestly think a lot of people just wanted to hate Warrior Within from the off without even giving it a proper chance, just because it was different in atmosphere to the first game. Certainly all the reviews I read of it at the time seemed way more fixated on what the game looked and sounded like rather than how it actually played and how well the storyline held together.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Freestyler » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:43 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Certainly all the reviews I read of it at the time seemed way more fixated on what the game looked and sounded like rather than how it actually played and how well the storyline held together.
This is the thing.

Because most print review magazines have deadlines - and they review a LOT of games for that deadline, as well as write other articles - there's simply no time for them to play games beyond staring at the pretty graphics and listening to the sounds. The problem is even worse when they have to write the review for that "exclusive" front cover. Often the press release writes the review for them.

How could anyone play a game like Oblivion for an hour (famously there's a Journo who says he can adequately "review" any game after 15 minutes play) and then write an informed and unbiased review? Games like Tetris might seem as if they're the same after 10 minutes, but anyone still playing that game today will definitely argue it has masses of long-term depth no 15 min review could ever hope to have discovered.

No wonder games are all about the graphics. It's all reviews are judged on anyways.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by snowkatt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:59 am

JetSetWilly wrote:Soldier of Fortune: Payback. Looks good, and then you start to play it. Very shallow, and it's clear that the dismemberment and blood are only a gimick that don't really work as well as they should. And I really liked the first SoF and Double Helix, as they were enjoyable. This one is just crap. Plus about 75-80 percent of the achievements are multiplayer :roll: Total crap. Not even worth the tenner I paid.
isnt that the same with the other soldier of fortune games as well ?
the blood and dismemberment is nothing more then a gimmick for a strictly average fps
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

pratty
Posts: 5405
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by pratty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:25 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
pratty wrote:
Freestyler wrote:To me, Warrior Within is the result of the Marketing Dept getting hold of The Sands of Time and wanting to sell more copies. So it went all dark and violent, and tried way too hard to appeal to the "Cool" brigade. The same brigade it has to be said that change their phones, clothes and shoes every month and so have the attention span of a gnat anyway. Foolish humans!
I couldn't agree more, I'm playing Two Thrones right now and they did a good job of giving the Prince a "dark side" without spoiling his personality from Sands of Time.

I've seen Two thrones described as an "apology" for Warrior Within which is the least they could do and I'll give them credit for that. They should remake Warrior Within as there was a decent game in there behind all the "mature" nonsense.
Disagree with both of you. If you ignore the obviously aimed at teenage boys 'mature' nonsense, Warrior Within is actually an excellent game and is my favouite of the Sands Of Time trilogy. Excellently designed levels (well, more like one huge level), really clever puzzles that made good use of the time travel aspect, and a couple of different endings to boot. The first and third games were still great but extremely linear compared to the second. I honestly think a lot of people just wanted to hate Warrior Within from the off without even giving it a proper chance, just because it was different in atmosphere to the first game. Certainly all the reviews I read of it at the time seemed way more fixated on what the game looked and sounded like rather than how it actually played and how well the storyline held together.
Well we can agree to disagree, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

But like I said; there is a good game there, and I did enjoy it initially despite the prince's new attitude etc. And it was a challenge too, it didn't hold your hand very much at all. It just could have been really great though but it was spoiled imo.

I do admit to being disappointed that Two Thrones went back to being very linear, I liked the back-tracking in Warrior Within and actually prefer that, it's just the map was no good to me at all and I couldn't remember which door lead where in the big hall, which turned the game into a bit of a slog to get through in the later part. I could just be crap though. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8318
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:12 pm

pratty wrote:Well we can agree to disagree, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

But like I said; there is a good game there, and I did enjoy it initially despite the prince's new attitude etc. And it was a challenge too, it didn't hold your hand very much at all. It just could have been really great though but it was spoiled imo.

I do admit to being disappointed that Two Thrones went back to being very linear, I liked the back-tracking in Warrior Within and actually prefer that, it's just the map was no good to me at all and I couldn't remember which door lead where in the big hall, which turned the game into a bit of a slog to get through in the later part. I could just be crap though. :lol:
Nah, I think it's just a case of each to their own :)

The thing is, I really love the Castlevania games, and Warrior Within felt to me like it should've been a Castlevania game, it's actually structured very much like one. In fact, I've often called it 'the best 3D Castlevania game that never was' because the 'official' ones (Castlevania: Lament Of Innocence and Curse Of Darkness) weren't too great, although I did enjoy Castlevania 64 more than most people.

I do really like the whole Sands Of Trilogy though, they're all good. :) The relationship and dialogue between the Prince and Princess Farah are one of the high points of the first and third games respectively. :)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Spector » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:24 am

er... Life? :D
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26635
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Just wait til you see the end sequence though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Spector » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Just wait til you see the end sequence though.
Ah, but will there be a hidden level afterwards??
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:50 pm

and can we reset and start again ?
or load a previous save ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Spector » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:30 pm

snowkatt wrote:and can we reset and start again ?
or load a previous save ?
I like the idea of that. A previous save state would be used by me all the time, and it would always be the same one!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
Weekend_Warrior
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:23 am
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Ninja Gaiden & Ninja Gaiden Black for the original Xbox.

If the constant enemy re-spawning doesn't kill you and make you mad enough times in the early levels of the game, then surely the Spider Ninja's with their hard-to-escape exploding darts will drive you outta your mind in the later levels.

User avatar
liveinabin
Posts: 1183
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by liveinabin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:56 am

I find that pretty much all games blow their most interesting content in the first half. What I particularly hate are the (thousands of) games that start off with lovely blue skies on level one and just get gradually darker toward the games end. I LIKE blue skies. This is just a lazy device to suggest heightening danger and I'm sick of it. Particular offenders that spring to mind are Halo, Phantasy Star Online and almost all Sonic games.

I can't actually think of many games that keep the quality up throughout. Mostly RPGs: KotOR, Mass Effect 1, Panzer Dragoon Saga (that actually managed to get better!). I haven't finished Bayonetta yet but from what I've seen so far, they turned the dials up to 11 on level 1 and just left them there. Good old Sega.

User avatar
cruachan
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland.

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by cruachan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:58 am

I'm glad no one has mentioned FarCry 2. I've started playing recently on Pc having abandoned it on 360. Its a much better game on PC but now that I'm properly playing it I see a lot of repetitive stuff. As soon as I come to one of the many guard checkpoints - immediately up onto the gun of the jeep to wipe everyone out, then continue driving - every bloody time. Its also annoying that evey car, vehicle stops to try shoot me or ram me - they dont bloody know me so leave me alone!! ......but it is fun.

User avatar
cruachan
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland.

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by cruachan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:59 am

oh - Crysis on pc, started great, enter alien place, not so great.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests