Games that start great and get progressively worse

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
dste
Posts: 7097
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by dste » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:28 am

Dennoman wrote:Has to be either Assassin's Creed or Crackdown 2.
Have to agree with Assassin's Creed, first few hours it was great with scaling buildings, killing people, fighting etc etc but after that it just got so repetitive it was unbelievable, I found it a right chore to finish off.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

User avatar
Dennoman
Posts: 801
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:09 am
Location: Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Dennoman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:39 am

Yeah, the biggest gripe I had with it is that you're basically a knight that goes through dozens of enemies before eventually killing the "target". If I remember correctly the game basically only allowed me ONCE to do an actual stealth kill, which was on the very first one using my knife before I actually got the sword. After getting the sword, you'll mostly be using that to get through swarms of enemies and after you get good enough with countering you'll basically just kill everyone with your hidden knife again because a counter = one-hit kill.

I never played a game as repetitive as Assassin's Creed, until Crackdown 2 came along. Never played AC2 mind.
Image

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

User avatar
sebadude
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by sebadude » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:33 am

I've always found that 16-bit platformers fit nicely with this topic... generally because you're on your way to find somewhere, or save someone, for the entire game, and as you draw close to your goal the game designers need to make everything feel a little more serious, and you generally end up in some kind of industrial / factory / gloomy / thundery level and it all feels a little bit hackneyed. Sonic, much though I enjoy your MD outings, I'm looking at you.

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by snowkatt » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:04 am

pokemon
it starts off interestingly enough until you realise about 2 hours in that this is the whole damn game for 40 hours
and its been recyceld ever since
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
dste
Posts: 7097
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by dste » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:12 am

GTA: Chinatown Wars on the DS. Started of quite fun with stealing cars, getting weapons etc but then just becomes so repetitive with just aimlessly driving around the city waiting for an e-mail to arrive to tell you what to do next.

Plus only about 50% of the game is actual game, the other 50% is pointlessly driving around blowing up cameras and doing stunt jumps.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by snowkatt » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:13 am

dste wrote:GTA: Chinatown Wars on the DS. Started of quite fun with stealing cars, getting weapons etc but then just becomes so repetitive with just aimlessly driving around the city waiting for an e-mail to arrive to tell you what to do next.

Plus only about 50% of the game is actual game, the other 50% is pointlessly driving around blowing up cameras and doing stunt jumps.
sounds like every gta out there really
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
dste
Posts: 7097
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by dste » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:17 am

Unfortunately i've never played any of the others so cannot comment but if it's similar then I really cannot see me picking up any of the others.

What also annoyed me was that it's supposed to be one of the best games on the DS getting ridiculously high scores when in my opinion it nowhere near deserves the praise it got.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by snowkatt » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:20 am

its mostly similair
the games are divided up between driving aroudn aimlessly and do randomg things
picking up side quests and triggering main quests cutscenes for a main quest mission
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by snowkatt » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:50 am

hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by thevulture » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:02 am

dste wrote:Unfortunately i've never played any of the others so cannot comment but if it's similar then I really cannot see me picking up any of the others.

What also annoyed me was that it's supposed to be one of the best games on the DS getting ridiculously high scores when in my opinion it nowhere near deserves the praise it got.
Not been able to try my PSP version-Need a none CFW PSP to run it, but taking your comments into account along with fact i hated GTA San Andreas and Red dead Redemption, i`m in no rush to try it.

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by thevulture » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:04 am

Bioshock-At 1st? i loved the characters, the setting etc, but then it soon became apparent it was a very watered down System Shock 2.The last few levels were a total chore, trek here, find this, trek there, find next bit, etc etc.Last boss? Total letdown.

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by thevulture » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:06 am

Crackdown:Once the novelty war off, found myself getting very bored.Did`nt even bother taking down the sub-minions, found i could easily just take down head honcho, all i had to do was find the blighter, head straight for his/her location. Ended up giving my copy to a fellow RG member on here.

pratty
Posts: 5402
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:31 am

I'd say Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

It's starts off looking very bad ass with the ship in the storm with the good combat system and everything, then you realise the Prince's funny voice over is gone, the music is blah rock music and the game gets confusing as far as where to go and how to get there during the backtracking parts, with the map being no use what so ever. Overall the game lost all it's charm since Sands of Time.

Not a completely bad game at but it did dip considerably after the begining. By the end it had become a chore to play and finish.

It's a shame as Two Thrones was way better, leaving Warrior Within a stain on an otherwise great, last-gen trilogy.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Freestyler » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 pm

pratty wrote:I'd say Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

It's starts off looking very bad ass with the ship in the storm with the good combat system and everything, then you realise the Prince's funny voice over is gone, the music is blah rock music and the game gets confusing as far as where to go and how to get there during the backtracking parts, with the map being no use what so ever. Overall the game lost all it's charm since Sands of Time.

Not a completely bad game at but it did dip considerably after the begining. By the end it had become a chore to play and finish.

It's a shame as Two Thrones was way better, leaving Warrior Within a stain on an otherwise great, last-gen trilogy.
To me, Warrior Within is the result of the Marketing Dept getting hold of The Sands of Time and wanting to sell more copies. So it went all dark and violent, and tried way too hard to appeal to the "Cool" brigade. The same brigade it has to be said that change their phones, clothes and shoes every month and so have the attention span of a gnat anyway. Foolish humans!
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

pratty
Posts: 5402
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Freestyler wrote:To me, Warrior Within is the result of the Marketing Dept getting hold of The Sands of Time and wanting to sell more copies. So it went all dark and violent, and tried way too hard to appeal to the "Cool" brigade. The same brigade it has to be said that change their phones, clothes and shoes every month and so have the attention span of a gnat anyway. Foolish humans!
I couldn't agree more, I'm playing Two Thrones right now and they did a good job of giving the Prince a "dark side" without spoiling his personality from Sands of Time.

I've seen Two thrones described as an "apology" for Warrior Within which is the least they could do and I'll give them credit for that. They should remake Warrior Within as there was a decent game in there behind all the "mature" nonsense.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atkinson90 and 3 guests