Games that start great and get progressively worse

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gabe

Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Gabe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:12 pm

IN the thread about quitting games, Freestyler said this:
Your game better grab me in the first hour or it's being binned. I'm not forced to watch 20 episodes of House before it starts getting enjoyable, so why do I have to with Videogames? I'll watch one, maybe two episodes. If it's not good the TV's turned over. Simple.
It's a good point - a lot of TV shows are canned pretty quickly if the pilot/first few episodes don't live up to expectations (mainly in the US rather than the UK due to shorter production runs), so there is a tendancy to try and make those first episodes count. And so of course it is true of games too - many titles will be front-loaded with action/drama/potential, only to fizzle out (and end on a whimper). So which games start well but should have been dumped after the first few hours? Let's name and shame!

For starters, I'll kick-off with Dead Rising; purely because at first you think that running amok in a shopping mall of zombies will be unbridled fun - then you hit a boss fight. And the constant buzzing from Otis. And then you realise that the structure of it actually isn't even that good (ignoring the divisive save system). For many it went downhill as soon as they went from the demo -> full game.

Next (and I may well be quite alone in thinking this), I'd go for God of War III; I thought the opening cinematic was fabulous, and the first level technically great. I even quite liked the boss fight. But as you move further into the game you realise that treks between each fight-zone become more and more stretched, that the pacing is off and it really ends on a complete whimper. Lovely to look at in places, mind.

What does everybody else think?

Roo

Re: Games that start great and get progressively worse

Post by Roo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:04 pm

Super Paper Mario is the first one that popped into my head. For the first two hours or so, its the most amazing thing in the world, but the form seriously dips after the second round of levels.

Banjo-Tooie is also guilty of this. Rare just didn't know when to stop. Simple 3D platforming turns into a cluttered mess after just a few hours. It really isn't worth it by the time you get to the end.

Billy Hatcher also suffered, thanks entirely to some mean level-wreaking glitches in the last few hours.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Halo was like this for me. The first few levels were superb, but then it became a massive chore towards the end. I felt they could have lost 2 or 3 whole levels and the experience would still have worked. But I guess it's that old "Longevity" thing again. :|

More tedium to come when I get more time to think! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:18 pm

agree completely with dead rising. never before have i looked forward to getting the game based on playing the demo and then been soo pee'd off after playing for an hour.

resistance 1 on the ps3 is another example. loved the whole back story and the opening 5-6 levels, then all of a sudden you realise that it goes on forever and is no fun to play, becomes a proper chore

devil may cry 4 - starts off looking lovely, turns to very repetitive mess

the annoying thing is with some games is that i often feel that i should complete the game as i have invested soo much time into it rather than turning it off and admitting what i have been playing is a waste of time

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:33 pm

Awesome point on Dead Rising-Just been attempting to get into this for the 3rd (and final!) time.The opening section i loved, Taking photo`s of the carnage unfolding in the town from the vantage of the chopper, but once i started game proper? Crippling time limit, Awful controls for firing gun, awful save system etc. As for Halo? Would`nt say it gets worse until near very end-The libary and the warthog escape seem like they were thrown in at last moment. Going to nominate myself:Metal Gear Solid: 2-Tanker was fun, but the entire Big shell stuff?Rubbish and MGS 4, opening was ok, but soons descends into typical Hideo cutscene crap. Also Silent Hill 3-More i played, more of a chore it became, Metroid Prime, awe turned to frustration very quickly.MOH:Frontline-Great opening level, but rest of game?Meh!
Last edited by thevulture on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Assassin's Creed 1 - It starts off amazingly, but the realisation quickly dawns on you that you're doing the same thing over and over.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:10 pm

mainvein wrote:agree completely with dead rising. never before have i looked forward to getting the game based on playing the demo and then been soo pee'd off after playing for an hour.

resistance 1 on the ps3 is another example. loved the whole back story and the opening 5-6 levels, then all of a sudden you realise that it goes on forever and is no fun to play, becomes a proper chore

devil may cry 4 - starts off looking lovely, turns to very repetitive mess

the annoying thing is with some games is that i often feel that i should complete the game as i have invested soo much time into it rather than turning it off and admitting what i have been playing is a waste of time
Ohh, good call on Resistance. Got it when I bought my PS3 and, like you say, for the first few levels it's really, really good - fantastically-realised setting, punchy weapons (well, the carbine at any rate) and a real sense of mystery. Then it just completely loses it; the alien weapons just weren't very good (I pretty much used the carbine for the whole game) and the level design got more and more generic and unimaginative (an overlong series of small tunnels you say - yes please!). It put me off ever wanting to try the sequel, sadly.

As regards to your last point, I used to feel the same - if I'd played something for x hours then I'd want to finish it. But over the last year or so I've actively decided that there are too many good games to play, so why continue with something I am not enjoying. It does so much more for keeping my interest in gaming up.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:26 pm

theantmeister wrote:Assassin's Creed 1 - It starts off amazingly, but the realisation quickly dawns on you that you're doing the same thing over and over.
I second that, could not even finished the game before I got bored and traded it in! Will not touch the second one with a barge pole!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:01 pm

I don't think Assassin's Creed got worse... just a little repetitive, as for the second game, it's waaaay better than the first game, a different experience altogether and imo one of the best games I've played in a long time, I completed it to 100% including the DLC... for a game to hold my attention for days on end it must be good, the last game I 100 percented was Vice City.

The games that censored me off are the ones that start throwing zombies into later levels, Thief on PC was guilty of that and I reckon it just stinks of the developers getting bored and just going "I know, we'll throw zombies in here".... no guys, zombies believe it or not sometimes make a game worse and throw any sense of belief right out of the window, so I'm gonna say Thief... I enjoyed it up to the point where the zombies showed up

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:08 pm

I'll say Global Gladiators on the Mega Drive. It's a great game, but they put all the best stuff into the first level (Slime World). Loads of slime monsters that splatter all over the screen, thunder and lightning in the background and that amazing music - yet after this there's a boring forest level, an even more boring city level, and a so-so ice level. Consequently, I only ever play the first section of that game, then play something else. Shame.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 pm

... Shadow of Colossus. (There I've said it, and I can't take it back)

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Metal Gear Solid 2. The tanker section was good then things went less so. I still play it occasionaly tho :shock:

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Banjo Tooie
Halo
Metal Gear Solid 2
Shadow of the Colossus

You're all fecking mad :shock:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Resistance was a bit of a let down the further you got into the game, I got so bored that I never even finished it, got close though. I would say it's sequel suffers more as it starts ion such a high note, like an amazing opening and first level you think the game is going to be a Halo killer. But then it descends into the most bland level design with no variety in gameplay, even the gfx go downhill in a big way and it just becomes incredibly boring. A shame as the series has potential.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a great game! I will never understand the hate for it, it has some superb gameplay and I enjoyed the Big Shell sections more than the tanker. I much prefer it to the overrated MGS.

GTA IV was one of these games that started so amazingly (partly due to the hype of course) but degenerated into quite an average gaming experience. I think that really was quite a shock to some people given how all the other 3D GTA games before it were great pretty much all the way through.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:06 pm

C=Style wrote:Resistance was a bit of a let down the further you got into the game, I got so bored that I never even finished it, got close though. I would say it's sequel suffers more as it starts ion such a high note, like an amazing opening and first level you think the game is going to be a Halo killer. But then it descends into the most bland level design with no variety in gameplay, even the gfx go downhill in a big way and it just becomes incredibly boring. A shame as the series has potential.
I enjoyed the Resitance games immensley but the end to Resistance 2 was a massive letdown.