Who doesnt own a next gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mootown

Re: Who doesnt own a next gen console

Post by Mootown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:11 am

hmm - well I have 360, PS3 and WIi all connected via a hd 7.1 receiver via hdmi into an hd tv...Not very retro as a set up but I have loads of retro titles on them. I couldn't just play last-gen (so to speak) as I like to play games as they come out and keep up with modern gaming. (it's also part of my job)

I still have my jap saturn and all the games, a jap ps2 with erm 1 game and 2 PSP's and a DSi. That's it though - all other consoles / arcade cabs / etc I've owned in the past are now in the safe hands of other gamers hopefully

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:17 am

I own a 360 (mostly never played) and PS3 but my Dreamcast and PS1 get most play.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:09 am

Only just got a 360 last week, wish i'd got one sooner to be honest, my PS2 has been shelved and i can see no reason to go back to it in the near future my gamecube is still set up and will get some use escpecially in multiplayer, really cant believe im saying that having been a sony fanboy for more than a decade, feeling like ive gone to the darkside :wink:

AdyShearer

Post by AdyShearer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:14 am

I must be one of the few that don't a 360 or a PS3 or a WiI(yeah, i know, it's not exactly next gen). The only one i have is the PS2, but i don't play it that much.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:15 am

stay in the darkside
we have got cookies
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:18 am

TBH as much as I love retro I couldn't not own a current gen system as I'd feel like I was missing out on way too much, which I would be truth be told. Plus in not playing the current generation as they unfold you are missing out on building nostalgia and good memories for the future if you are too wrapped up on playing games from the past all the time.

I think it's important to enjoy both styles of gaming and the great thing about his gen is that it has brought retro and modern gaming together on the same system. An Xbox is worth owning for XBLA alone, and if that were the only thing Xbox offered then it would still be a great console in itself.

For me, I own 360/Wii out of this generation, did have a PS3 but it was the weakest link so got shot, but there are still some fantastic games on that system too.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:43 am

I have always kept up to date with current gaming tech and always will, if I don't play current gen games then how will I know what will make great retro in a few years time. Also the 360 especially supports retro gaming in quite a big way via XBLA.
Online co op streets of rage 2 anyone?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:46 am

Variety is the spice of life. I like playing old machines and games but I have a 360 and Wii to keep me in the mix of current games. I was quite late to the 360 party. As a GC fan I didn't want an Xbox and initially I had no desire for a 360. The Wii I bought at launch.

There ARE a lot of fabulous, stand out games released for modern consoles. I think you're looking with your blind eye if you think differently.

Prices aren't too prohibitive. New games can be picked up online reasonably and I often find that within months if not weeks of release games can be picked up for half price. The bargains available is astounding. 360 game sin particular can be picked up for 80's & 90's Mastertronic prices! I saw PGR4 for £2.99 & PGR3 for £1.99 in Gamestation last week and there are regularly games for £5, £8, £10, 2 for £20 etc

No, I wouldn't be without a 360 or a Wii and that's before I start to think about Live Arcade, Wiiware & the VC.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:31 am

C=Style wrote:TBH as much as I love retro I couldn't not own a current gen system as I'd feel like I was missing out on way too much...
Ditto. I bought a PS3 6 months after launch, same with the Wii & I purchased a 360 in January. I'm currently enjoying games across all those formats & having a blast.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 am

DPrinny wrote:Nope I dont own a PS4, Wii 2 or Microsoft's <Insert name> as I am not from the future
This. There's nothing on the market that could conceivably be called 'next gen' these days.

I do have all 3 current gen systems though. Or both if you consider the Wii is really just a slightly modified GameCube. Or all 5 if you include the PSP and DS. Or maybe I don't have any if you consider the iPod/iPhone to supersede all those as a gaming system.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:06 am

I'd consider anything that's still on sale new, and there are still games being made for it, to be a current generation console. And yes, that includes the PS2; there's still life in the old dog, albeit not that much these days.

SpeedBreaker

Post by SpeedBreaker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:44 pm

No current gen console for me, I'm just not interested. :D All my recent gaming has been PC (Quake Live, MAME) or Nintendo DS.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:05 pm

I own a 360 & a Wii from this generation of home consoles.

I will pick up a PS3 at some point in the future but only when hardware prices fall even futher, I know there are some nice games for the PS3 but for me theres just not enough exclusive games that I really want to justify the price tag.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

NeilT

Post by NeilT » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

No next gen console here.

Only console's that gets used are the Dreamcast, Saturn and Gamecube. Own a PS2 but that is used purely as a DVD player.