Who doesnt own a next gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slayer6000

Who doesnt own a next gen console

Post by slayer6000 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

I was just wondering who else apart from me is still to make the move forward to a next gen console, the most upto date machine I have is my PS2. When people come around and look under my TV they seem shocked as to not see a 360, PS3 or a Wii, but im currently quite happy with my under TV arrangement, PS2, Dreamcast, Original Xbox, Megadrive and sometimes Master System. Dont get me wrong the latest Gen of machines are amazing, with the capabilities they have but I still arnt prepared to shell out a couple of hundred quid for one, when if i used that 200 quid to buy retro i could get far more for my money and be happier, I could greatly extend my SEGA collection. I understand they have a place in the gaming market, and are a part of the gaming future and will one day become collectable themselves, but It amazes me how peoiple just presume if you are into gaming you have to have a 360, PS3 or Wii...... thoughts, opinions guys?
Last edited by slayer6000 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

jdanddiet

Re: Who doesnt own a next gen console

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 pm

i have an original xbox and ps2 (well untilmy son dropped it :roll: ) and a gamecube and to be honest, the games for them are really cheap and they are still easily good enough for me. So I think it will be sometime before I bother getting a new console.

Edit: actually I'm going backwards, just bought a saturn :D
Last edited by jdanddiet on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Well I do have 2 now, a 360 and a Wii. I only picked the Wii up last month mainly for my wife to play and if it wasn't for Fifa 10 clubs I wouldn't have a 360.
I mostly play on PS2.

So I guess it doesn't really count but im close!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I didn't own one until this year, now I have a Wii and a PS3, and to be honest since getting the PS3 all my gaming time is spent on SSFIV and Modern Warfare 2 (when I get nagged to play it by friends!) only retro I've played recently has been emulators at work during lunch break...

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:40 pm

jdanddiet wrote:i have an original xbox and ps2 (well untilmy son dropped it :roll: ) and a gamecube and to be honest, the games for them are really cheap and they are still easily good enough for me. So I think it will be sometime before I bother getting a new console.

I think price is a big factor for me regarding games, decent games for newer systems can cost a fortune, play retro and you really can stretch your hard earned cash and have just as much, if not more fun
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm

All my Wii is used for is Starblade and Splatterhouse and Megadrive, PC Engine, NES and GBA emulators..

I only own three Wii Games Muramasha, Fragile Dreams and Project Zero 4..

I do have two 360's one's Japanese.. Never bought a PS3 never will I doubt
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:00 pm

slayer6000 wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:i have an original xbox and ps2 (well untilmy son dropped it :roll: ) and a gamecube and to be honest, the games for them are really cheap and they are still easily good enough for me. So I think it will be sometime before I bother getting a new console.

I think price is a big factor for me regarding games, decent games for newer systems can cost a fortune, play retro and you really can stretch your hard earned cash and have just as much, if not more fun
Super Street Fighter IV cost me £20, up to yet thats about 50p per hour of play time, but by the end of the year I expect it to be a lot less than that.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:07 pm

I didn't own a next gen console (a 360) until just over a year ago, I preferred staying 'loyal' to my PS2. Nowadays, I'd say I play 70-80% 360 stuff, I realised I'd been missing a lot of great games by being all techno-Luddite and kicked myself for waiting so long.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:11 pm

I dont have any next gen console

and am not aiming to either

Not enough cash and no games that really stand out enough to warrant the purchase.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Nope I dont own a PS4, Wii 2 or Microsoft's <Insert name> as I am not from the future

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Owned 3 360s, a Wii and PS3. Currently own a PS3 and 360. Have also owned most older consoles but only the PS2 remains in my setup.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 am

i have a 360 and a wii but the wii is mostly used to play cube and virtual console games
and the 360 for orginal xbox games
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:44 am

Own Ps2, Xbox & Cube. Still enjoy them.

Will upgrade at some stage, but the reason I don't is because of the great range of dirt cheap games for the last gen. If I upgraded it is not so much the hardware shell out, it's the games you'd need to get. I don't buy any hardware without at least a half doz games for it at once, and the new software is still fairly pricey. I enjoy being able to get a second hand xbox game or two mega cheap.

My next purchase will probably be another second hand PSP and a handful of games for trips! :lol:

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:58 am

I'll buy a PS3 when the games are:

1. Dirt cheap pre-owned.
2. Sufficiently different from it's main rival; Xbox 360.

GAME and CeX are slowly starting to sell pre-owned PS3 games as cheaply as X360 games now, so that's cool. It's just the second reason that's the major stumbling block. Playstation Move doesn't look appetising in the least.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:06 am

i dont have a ps 3 and for the moment i dont want one
blu ray is not an incentive to go to the ps 3 im not interested in blu ray movies dvd is fine

most of the games i want are also on the 360 and im not interested in any of the exclusives so there is no reason for me to go for the ps 3 yet

if the machine becomes cheaper there are more games available and ps 2 support is put back in then it wil become more tempting
as it is il just keep my nearly dead ps 2 and flog it with a xbox controller
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !