Wrestling games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thl

Post by thl » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:04 am

WWF Raw on the SNES is absolutely bizzare that it included a steel bucket as a weapon. :lol:

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:17 pm

there havebeen a few good one's, but the one that stands out for me was the SNES Royal Rumble, the fact you got the statistics at the end telling you who all you threw out the ring and such was great. But that would've meant nothing if the gameplay sucked.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:20 pm

WWF Raw on the MD has a place in my heart. As does the PC version of WWF: In Your House.

Best ever has to be WWF WM2000 for N64.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

thl

Post by thl » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:56 pm

I believed it was back in the mid 90s. A friend of mine brought his SNES to school in which it included WWF Royal Rumble. He also had titles such as F-Zero, Contra III, Jurassic Park II, Flashback and several others. :)

We use to play it all the time during the intervals. The multi-player option was brilliant to play especially with friends. Definitely the highlights of that period. :D
Last edited by thl on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:25 pm

I've got Giant Gram 2000 on the Dreamcast, top game. WWF Wrestlefest and Wrestlemania where pretty top in the arcades as well.

preownedgames.co.uk

Re:

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Every single wrestling game I have ever played on any console/arcade machine was/is a pile of uncontrollable tosh...
Word.
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

redleader28

Re:

Post by redleader28 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:52 pm

Kickboxingshrimp wrote:
thl wrote:Wrestlefest was brilliant. I always play as the Ultimate Warrior!! :D
Mr perfect for me! (RIP)
Hulk Hogan every time
Nobody shoots anyone in the face unless you're a hitman or a gamer

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 am

Wrestlefest in the Arcades was my fav, used to play the Big Boss Man, but have swtiched to Hogan on the emulated version. Also love Wrestlemania: The Arcade on PS1, Snes. I did also have a soft spot for two WCW games that came out on the N64, so many characters to choose from, just wish there was a decent game on the DC, have Royal Rumble, but don't its much cop. Are there some good Japanese wrestling games out for the DC.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

filecore

Re:

Post by filecore » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:19 pm

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:Every single wrestling game I have ever played on any console/arcade machine was/is a pile of uncontrollable tosh...
Word.
I don't play them single-player, but they are a laugh 4 player with some mates and beers.

Favourite is doing a Royal Rumble where if you get thrown out, you take control of the next wrestler coming in. It's a great laugh giving someone the verbals as you do a signature move on them etc etc :)

devilman

Post by devilman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:47 pm

Good to see some of my favourites mentioned. I started on Rock n Wrestle on the Speccy and while it looked extremely rough, it was pretty playable for its time.

Pro Wrestling on the Master System was indeed a good game but didn't you have to win 30 matches in a row or something? Against the same opponents?

First Mega Drive wrestler I played was the odd women's wrestling game (as in an odd game, not odd women although ...) Ringside Angel which was pretty good too.

However, my two favourites would have to be Royal Rumble on the Mega Drive and Wrestlefest in the arcade. In both games you could eliminate an opponent without having to grind them down to 0 health which made them far more enjoyable than most. I was disappointed to then play Rage in a Cage on the Mega CD to find that they'd removed the best mode, the Royal Rumble. I recently picked up a Jap copy of Royal Rumble so I might have to see how it differs from the Western version, if at all.

Oh and just to add, Royal Rumble on the Dreamcast is pretty fun in multiplayer too.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:58 pm

I haven't read page one, but all these posts and not a single mention of pantomime or homo-eroticism :?

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:59 pm

[quote="SirClive"]I haven't read page one, but all these posts and not a single mention of pantomime or homo-eroticism :?[/quote

Or Big Daddy...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

devilman

Post by devilman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:20 pm

One plus that wrestling games have over the 'real' thing is that you don't know who is going to win beforehand.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:26 pm

all these posts and not a single mention of pantomime or homo-eroticism
Apologies to all wrestling fans, I only found out was Trolling was recently and wanted to see if I was any good at it :wink:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Now I know how all the Amstrad owners on here feel.